Bass drum > Floor tom

Fred D

Pioneer Member
I have a 20 inch bass drum that I've used for a couple months out of the 16 years I've owned it. Great buy!!! LOL I think I'm gonna put legs on it. DW makes these brackets that mount to the hoop and I have three on order. Still thinking about heads but will probably use G2 over G1. I keep it simple with heads. Might be fun. So it will be 12 16 20. Recently changed from two up to one up. Currently 12 14 16.

Attachments

• 1 uo 2 down.jpg
    1 uo 2 down.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 32
Sounds like a fun project. However, I could see you taking it to a gig one time before saying "screw this, I'm going back to the 12/14/16 set up" lol

My setup for many years now has been one up, one down: 12, 16, 22. I really like the massive drop-off from a 12 tom to a 16 tom. It eliminates the whole "melodic tom" concept, which has always annoyed me. When I hear singing drums, my only wish is to silence them.

I have a 20 inch bass drum that I've used for a couple months out of the 16 years I've owned it. Great buy!!! LOL I think I'm gonna put legs on it. DW makes these brackets that mount to the hoop and I have three on order. Still thinking about heads but will probably use G2 over G1. I keep it simple with heads. Might be fun. So it will be 12 16 20. Recently changed from two up to one up. Currently 12 14 16.

If you're gonna go big - go BIG.

14", 16", 20".

Then you can do a solid Abe Laboriel JR Impression!

My setup for many years now has been one up, one down: 12, 16, 22. I really like the massive drop-off from a 12 tom to a 16 tom. It eliminates the whole "melodic tom" concept, which has always annoyed me. When I hear singing drums, my only wish is to silence them.
Yeah, it makes tuning much easier. I love that configuration because its quick and easy to dial in a spread between the 12 and 16.

For the same reason you mentioned I really like my current 10/13 tom set up. To enhance the effect I tune the 10 just a bit higher and the 13 just a bit lower. They blend very well but also have their own distinct voices at the same time. The 10 really barks and the 13 really rumbles.

For the same reason you mentioned I really like my current 10/13 tom set up. To enhance the effect I tune the 10 just a bit higher and the 13 just a bit lower. They blend very well but also have their own distinct voices at the same time. The 10 really barks and the 13 really rumbles.

My 12 and 16 toms are both tuned relatively low, but because they're separated by four inches in diameter and eight inches in depth, they sound nothing alike, and I prefer it that way. I want them to be distinct. Aiming for carefully measured intervals between toms has never been my thing. If they work well together, end of discussion. I'd rather drum than get bogged down in the minutiae of tuning. My bandmates and listeners have never minded that position.

Got the clamps. They attach to the hoop and then legs will attach to them. Haven't ordered heads yet. This isn't a real hot project. Gotta find the drum. LOL

Attachments

• dw bracket.jpg
    dw bracket.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 7
Couldn't open the door without moving the drum. Trapped!! LOL 3 floor toms was never the plan. Played it a little today. Sounds cool. Still tuning,

Attachments

• big floor tom.jpg
    big floor tom.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 10
Back