Bass Drum + Distortion Pedal

Doz

Hey guys. I play in a bluesy punk band and am thinking I'd like to get a distorted bass drum sound whilst playing live for some of the stompy breakdown parts.

I mic up my bass and snare during gigs and depending on the venue size, I'll mic up all of the toms too. I run all the mics into a small 8 channel mixer, which I then feed out into the main pa.

Would it be just as simple as hooking up a distortion pedal stomp box in between the bass drum mic and the desk so I could just hit it on and off when needed? Or would I need additional toys?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
No additional toys needed but there are two things to bear in mind:

i) You'll need an XLR-Jack cable into the distortion box.

ii) You'll lose some signal in the XLR-Jack conversion, so expect to have to put more gain into the stage at the desk than you would with a straight connection.

Also, make sure you level match the raw signal and the distorted signal. That is to say, with the distortion on and off the signal is equally hot. Otherwise a sound engineer will hate you!

Arky

Platinum Member
Some distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals have a master level that would make the matching easy, with separate distortion and level pots. Try to get one of those pedals.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Some distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals have a master level that would make the matching easy, with separate distortion and level pots. Try to get one of those pedals.
I have a Big Muff Pi that has separate distortion/master output levels. It's a decent pedal and can be had very cheaply second hand.