Bass Drum Batter/Reso Combos better than mix and match?

IBitePrettyHard

I'm looking at new heads for my 22x18" PDP MX. I like the sound of Emad batter heads, and I was thinking about trying an Aquarian Regulator reso head. But they're different brands so they weren't designed for each other. Would they complement each other as well as an official combo like the Emad batter/reso combo?

I want this bass drum to be a cannon. A low, deep, and satisfying boom. That's the sound I'm going for.

I'm looking specifically at these combos (Emad batter + Emad reso.....or Aquarian SKII + Regulator reso), but I'm open to other suggestions, including mixing and matching if you've gotten good results. What combos do you use, and do you think buying the official brand batter + reso combo is better than mixing and matching?

Basically what I'm asking is, is there some sort of magic that happens when you use the official combos?

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
I think the head manufacturers would like you to believe that their heads are magic when used together but I don't buy it!
I do have a theory that there is a kind of magic combination for each kick. I have three kicks and they have all needed different batters to sound their best: SKII on 22 Maple, EMAD 2 on 20 Birch, PS3 on 16 Poplar. (YMMV of course)

I have an EMAD 2 batter with Aquarian Regulator reso on a 20" birch kick and it is my favourite combination for that drum.
The EMAD 2 batter just has the edge for me over the SKII that was on it before. I had also tried a PS3 before, which didn't work so well on this kick.
I think the Regulator is a great reso to add 'thickness' to the sound - it made a surprising improvement to my 16" kick - that's why I put it on the 20. I haven't tried an Evans Reso on the 20 as I liked the combination.

IBitePrettyHard

I think the head manufacturers would like you to believe that their heads are magic when used together but I don't buy it!
I do have a theory that there is a kind of magic combination for each kick. I have three kicks and they have all needed different batters to sound their best: SKII on 22 Maple, EMAD 2 on 20 Birch, PS3 on 16 Poplar. (YMMV of course)

I have an EMAD 2 batter with Aquarian Regulator reso on a 20" birch kick and it is my favourite combination for that drum.
The EMAD 2 batter just has the edge for me over the SKII that was on it before. I had also tried a PS3 before, which didn't work so well on this kick.
I think the Regulator is a great reso to add 'thickness' to the sound - it made a surprising improvement to my 16" kick - that's why I put it on the 20. I haven't tried an Evans Reso on the 20 as I liked the combination.
I think you're right. There does seem to be a magic combination for some kicks. I got a Superkick II for my 16" Breakbeats kick and it improved the sound immensely.

It sounded so good that I decided to get a Superkick II for my 20" Renown kick, and..... it didn't sound that great. Perhaps I need to upgrade the stock reso head to a matching Aquarian Regulator? Or maybe not?

I just wish experimenting with heads wasn't so darn expensive.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've played a Super Kick batter head for a long time, but I'd always paired it with whatever front head I was using at the time.

I finally decided to get a Regulator front head and as soon as I tuned it up and played the drum I thought "oh that's what they meant by designed to be used together." I was really impressed by the dramatic difference in sound. I can't speak for other brands BD combos, but Aquarian really know how to dial in a great rock bass drum sound.

graysonator

I think you're right. There does seem to be a magic combination for some kicks. I got a Superkick II for my 16" Breakbeats kick and it improved the sound immensely.

It sounded so good that I decided to get a Superkick II for my 20" Renown kick, and..... it didn't sound that great. Perhaps I need to upgrade the stock reso head to a matching Aquarian Regulator? Or maybe not?

I just wish experimenting with heads wasn't so darn expensive.
The Regulator and Super Kick are like bread and butter, they just work immensely perfect together.

ToneT

I'm using Evans black Hydraulic bass drum batters with the black Aquarian Regulators with the offset hole.
It works!
You can use any brand you like on either side!

I really like the Remo P3 black dot batter paired with either a P3 or Ambassador reso (ported of course). Sounds great through the mic.

Icetech

Gold Member
My fav combo is a SK1 with a regulator... right now i have a SK1 and a normal non regulator head and am not liking it near as much..