Bass drum “sweet spot”

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Are you talking about a sweet spot provided the drum is double headed with no port? Or a ported front head? Muffled or Unmuffled? PowerStroke type head or regular single ply ambassadors?

With all the variations one could come up with for any given size, the sweet spot will be different. And then what is the sweet spot for? For the best sound? For the best mic’d up sound? For jazz? For rock? What is the sweet spot suppose to be defining?
Diameter was 22.

I was just going for general depth as port/muffling/dual or single reso etc. are all up the user. But drum depth is usually 14 or 16 for most general makers.
I as asking if there was a universal opinion about these two sizes.

I’ve never seen a 15” depth for instance and a few go higher like an 18 or 20. I’d consider these exceptions to the rule.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I’ve never seen a 15” depth for instance and a few go higher like an 18 or 20. I’d consider these exceptions to the rule.
Hayman used to do 15" deep bass drums. I had a 26x15 it went kerboom! You could sit at the opposite end of a room and you'd feel the air from the port hole.

I've had depths of 15/16/18&20 but I just prefer 14".

jda

Silver Member
the 12X22 (and 12 X 20) early Ludwig (today) get a lot of good reviews.
what was it ah yes the New Yorker..

1960_new_yorker.jpg

instantaneous combustion narrow
Ginger Baker had (12 deep) on one side or the other

Out of Round

I like a pretty boomy kick. I have found sweet spots with a 16" depth on an 18, 20, and 22.

I have also found a sweet spot on a 22x14.

I used more or less the same Remo head combo (PS3 batter/single ply reso) and tuning method (low batter/quite high reso) for all these drums.

I would need to have more experience to have a real opinion on which is better. At this time, no preference and both sound great. I'm not sure if that's an answer, but that's my experience.

newoldie

Silver Member
My BD's have been 12-14" deep (12 being the Sonor Player kit BD), but a friend who builds custom drums built his own set with a 20 x 15, as he knew that sound was a solid compromise between 14 and 16 depths.

I'd love to hear a 20 x 15 and wouldn't mind owning one as well.