Bass Cowbell (sort of) take a look

johnwesley

Silver Member
This is a copper bathroom trash can with patina finish that I mounted on a cymbal stand because it sounds good. Only thing is it's not quite loud enough. Thinking if I cut it down maybe half the size it'll be louder. What do you think?bass cowbell 1.jpgbass cowbell 2.jpg

I don't see cutting it down making it louder. Maybe perceived louder? But not actually louder.

By that logic the shallowest shell will be the loudest.

I don't see cutting it down making it louder. Maybe perceived louder? But not actually louder.

By that logic the shallowest shell will be the loudest.
Yeah you're probably right. My thought was the "sound" would have less travel time and not be "deadened" by the metal. I think I'm thinking too much during this stay at home stuff.

Is it mounted next to an auxiliary snare, that's tall/tom height? I'd love to see more pics of your setup with this.

That's pretty cool! I would also advise against cutting it shorter, I feel like you'd lose some projection. Maybe try hitting it differently? Like a 'rim shot' on the edge? My only other thought would be to punch a whole in the side... Maybe that would send the 'note' out instead of down?

Don't forget that shortening the can will significantly change its sound. I'd leave it alone.

Also those little clear rubber feat may be acting like moongels, it may increase the perceived volume by taking those off.

Throw some dried beans in it. Or ball bearings. Or marbles. Or...you get the idea.

I think that if you remove the bottom it could be a bit louder by allowing the air inside to move out. Or to drill a couple of holes in them to avoid altering the sound to much if you remove the bottom.

Back