Barney Miller theme song

bud7h4

Silver Member
The keyboard on some versions comes in on "one" with the drums, but on other versions it's early. Season 3 in particular, I thought it was on the "4 and" of the bass guitar 16th notes, but I realized it always felt slightly later than that. I think it's actually on the last 32nd note triplet before the "one". Pretty thoughtful writing for just a tv show theme.

Last edited:

Smoke

Silver Member
There are a few different versions of the M*A*S*H theme song. All are good, but the ones from the early 80's are best, IIRC. Don't forget that there's an intro and an outro (is that a word?) In any case, IIRC, the 1983 version is best. Check 'em out and report back.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Mike Altman wrote the lyrics to the theme when he was just 14.
Man ,contemplating suicide at the age is something I'll never get.

NouveauCliche

The keyboard on some versions comes in on "one" with the drums, but on other versions it's early. I thought it was on the "4 and" of the bass guitar 16th notes, but I realized it always felt slightly later than that. I think it's actually on the last 32nd note triplet before the "one". Pretty thoughtful writing for just a tv show theme.

You say "just a tb show theme" like that isn't some of the most intentional and profitable avenues for song writing that exist haha.

bud7h4

Silver Member
You say "just a tv show theme" like that isn't some of the most intentional and profitable avenues for song writing that exist haha.
I know it's important for it to be catchy and memorable, but making the decision to come in on the last 32nd note triplet 😮 ? That seems like it was for the pure enjoyment and gratification of the songwriter and musicians, which is very cool. It's like an "Easter egg".

Last edited:

toddbishop

Platinum Member
God knows how many thousands of hours I watched of those shows. The MASH theme just amazing because the orchestration changes every couple of bars-- I haven't analyzed it, but every time I hear it I catch something new.

The old People's Court theme isn't great music, but the drumming is really great.

RickP

Gold Member
I recall seeing an interview with a Detective from NYPD and he was asked what television show was the most accurate depiction of police life and he said without hesitation “ Barney Miller”.

now back to the topic at hand - we used to play this chart in Stage band - so much fun to play .

Super Phil

The theme from Barney Miller straight up rocks!
Rockford Files and Night Court come to mind right away as good ones also.