Bar bashing professionalism

toddmc

Gold Member
Neither Slayer nor Anthrax used to wear uniforms but I guess people and priorities change. There is also nothing wrong with looking nice. In all the metal bands I have played I always looked nice, maybe too nice and got shit for it from some people until they saw me onstage playing. Then there was the classic: " holy shit I didn't realize you were the drummer, I'm sorry dude!" Followed by a free beer.
You definitely shouldn't look too nice in a metal band mate 😄

Like I said, there's always the image thing to consider to a certain extent but the only guy I've seen get away with it was Serj Tankian who came out in a very nice, white, long-sleeved shirt and proceeded to crush it with System Of A Down.

BruceW

We've had these discussions in our band, which is primarily a bar/club band. We all tend to try and dress nice for any gig, some gigs "nicer" than others. Never sloppy, regardless of venue

doggyd69b

Drum Expert
You definitely shouldn't look too nice in a metal band mate 😄

Like I said, there's always the image thing to consider to a certain extent but the only guy I've seen get away with it was Serj Tankian who came out in a very nice, white, long-sleeved shirt and proceeded to crush it with System Of A Down.
Like i said in the end I always ended up getting free drinks.

SVBJECT

Regular Poster
Neither Slayer nor Anthrax used to wear uniforms but I guess people and priorities change. There is also nothing wrong with looking nice. In all the metal bands I have played I always looked nice, maybe too nice and got shit for it from some people until they saw me onstage playing. Then there was the classic: " holy shit I didn't realize you were the drummer, I'm sorry dude!" Followed by a free beer.
Ha! I went to a heavy metal all dayer once maybe a decade ago and the only band I can visually remember now were the brutal death 4-piece in suits.

someguy01

Gold Member
If I show up wearing clothes and not a horse or unicorn mask, folks should consider that a win.

jimb

Clearly no-one here has done a holiday season in a smart hotel. Black shirt, white pants and white shoes, all that was missing was the Al Capone machine gun!....It was a long time ago..
But its always jeans and a shirt unless like the above Iam specifically told what to wear.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member

but they did...they wore the NYHC or West Coast thrasher "uniforms"...like I do now

every tribe has a uniform...even the most non-conformist/anarchist punk has the same uniform on as all the other ones

it was always funny to me - back in the day - how many of the punx especially would rail against the mainstream; yelling loudly about not following the norm; not adhering to a uniform....all wearing the same clothes, leather, band shirts, Doc Marten's etc...

as long as more than 2 humans are around, there is no such thing as "non-conformity"

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I have 2 gigs this weekend and, as always, I break out the good collard shirts for the shows.
I've had buds ask me why I "dress up" for what basically amounts to a bar-bashing show where no one will really care.

I care how I (and the band as a whole) look & that's the main reason I put the extra effort into looking good.
Anyone else here take that extra step in dress, equipment prep or other things that most others don't do?

When I make an effort in how I dress, I always feel like I play better.