Bar bashing professionalism

doggyd69b

Drum Expert
I saw In This Moment before they went all "metal musical theatre" and can say I miss the raw, gritty performances they used to do. Now it sounds all processed & polished and just isn't the same.

Leading me to my original point of look can be just as important as the music.
I used to like In This Moment before it became Maria Brink's In This Moment.

drumnut87

Silver Member
i usually rock up to my gigs in camo pants and a band t-shirt, even when i played in a jazz band at a local pub, and nobody batted an eyelid :) the only time i wear a proper shirt is if the gig is a formal one, in which case i rock the black shirt, black cargo pants, and black footwear. im a portly guy, and trying to find stuff that fits me from my local shops is not easy or cheap.

Hellwyck

I play in what's comfortable to me and appropriate to the band/music I'm playing.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I play bars all the time with one band that I'm in it's a country band and we are required by the band leader to dress nice country style cowboy hat all that stuff. I'm all for that I like to look nice when I perform. Also I'm in a classic rock band and and we dress nice also but we want to look rock and roll so a lot of times it's a rolling stone T-shirt or whatever but we wanna look nice

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I saw In This Moment before they went all "metal musical theatre" and can say I miss the raw, gritty performances they used to do. Now it sounds all processed & polished and just isn't the same.

Leading me to my original point of look can be just as important as the music.

they actually opened up for my band when they were still touring around in a van. Probably 2006? This was at a local place (Houndogs Pizza/Ravari room for the Central Ohio people) that maybe held 100 people when full. They were pretty cool, and we have a female guitarist which -at the time - was NOT the norm...especially in metal, and her and Maria hit it off right away. They definitely sounded more "rough" back then...more nu-metalish to my ears.

but they were "looking the part" right out of the van...thru load in, sound check etc...you could tell they were focused on something bigger than van-tour life...I still have prints (those are old "hand held" pictures for the under 30 crowd) of all of us eating pizza before playing.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
they actually opened up for my band when they were still touring around in a van. Probably 2006? This was at a local place (Houndogs Pizza/Ravari room for the Central Ohio people) that maybe held 100 people when full. They were pretty cool, and we have a female guitarist which -at the time - was NOT the norm...especially in metal, and her and Maria hit it off right away. They definitely sounded more "rough" back then...more nu-metalish to my ears.

but they were "looking the part" right out of the van...thru load in, sound check etc...you could tell they were focused on something bigger than van-tour life...I still have prints (those are old "hand held" pictures for the under 30 crowd) of all of us eating pizza before playing.
Then you & I saw the same tour. I saw them opening for Kittie at a local place here in town in 2007. Gave the performance of a lifetime and I still remember Maria just being the most in-your-face singer I'd ever seen.
Dressed the part for sure. 🤘

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
Then you & I saw the same tour. I saw them opening for Kittie at a local place here in town in 2007. Gave the performance of a lifetime and I still remember Maria just being the most in-your-face singer I'd ever seen.
Dressed the part for sure. 🤘

oh man...Kittie...their first album was great!

cbphoto

Gold Member
When I posted my first reply, I was coming from the POV of a quartet rock band. What I used to play and that's ancient history.

The band I currently play in is a 8-piece group that includes three female vocalists, and there's no way they're getting on stage looking like grunge rockers. To support them, and the music, I have to shower, shave and wear clean clothes. The response from @heartbeat got me thinking: no blue jeans. I like that idea, and I'll have to shop for clothes (I'd rather go to the dentist). I hope to find a few decent button-down shirts, too, that are not black and without patterns.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I dress so as not to distract from the main singers/beautiful people. Yea, that's the ticket...

Dark blue, new looking, Levi 505's, and a colored, no pocket, no writing, no image, new looking, clean looking, clean smelling T shirt. Shoes vary between more formal leather, boots, and new looking running shoes...according to the gig. Simple.

It fits my personality too.

I'll never wear shorts onstage even though my legs are slammin lol.

And when I see someone else's dreaded man toe onstage I try to barf on them

Last edited:

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
I dress so as not to distract from the main singers/beautiful people. Yea, that's the ticket...
This!
As a hired gun, I just follow the request of the group or artist hiring me. When I ask them about their look, some don't know what to say as they've never been asked that.
I try to stay in my lane & serve their song needs as much as possible & it throws some guys for a loop.

toddmc

Gold Member
So for that instance and having Anthrax and Slayer at the same concert, I still sustain that I focus on the music, now if I went to see In This Moment or Behemoth then I will also focus on the costumes because they are a big part of their performance. but if I wanted to focus on their costumes mostly then I will go watch a F*&(% musical.
Yeah, but if Slayer walked out in tuxedos you saying you and the rest of the audience wouldn't notice (not to mention Anthrax pretty much wear uniforms for live gigs these days)?

These bands have an image just like everyone else (they pretend they don't, but they do) and I can certainly understand the need to cultivate said image for a live, touring band which is a also a commercial business.

Don't really understand the need to dress up for a bar/ covers band but having said that, I cringe when I think of the way me and my old covers band used to dress onstage (t-shirts and boardshorts).
I used to think "Who cares, no-one's looking at us anyway" but the cover bands I see these days at least try to look the part and dress it up a bit with the "rock star" look and I think the shows are better for it.

doggyd69b

Drum Expert
Yeah, but if Slayer walked out in tuxedos you saying you and the rest of the audience wouldn't notice (not to mention Anthrax pretty much wear uniforms for live gigs these days)?

These bands have an image just like everyone else (they pretend they don't, but they do) and I can certainly understand the need to cultivate said image for a live, touring band which is a also a commercial business.

Don't really understand the need to dress up for a bar/ covers band but having said that, I cringe when I think of the way me and my old covers band used to dress onstage (t-shirts and boardshorts).
I used to think "Who cares, no-one's looking at us anyway" but the cover bands I see these days at least try to look the part and dress it up a bit with the "rock star" look and I think the shows are better for it.
Neither Slayer nor Anthrax used to wear uniforms but I guess people and priorities change. There is also nothing wrong with looking nice. In all the metal bands I have played I always looked nice, maybe too nice and got shit for it from some people until they saw me onstage playing. Then there was the classic: " holy shit I didn't realize you were the drummer, I'm sorry dude!" Followed by a free beer.