Bands That Don't Play Live

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Could be never, could be rarely. This is about the composers, and what do y'all think about it?

Some contenders:

The Beatles
Steely Dan
Infant Annihilator

I'm in it for the end result. I dont really care if the bands can play live or not. I'm sure others will feel differently. What say you?

EDIT: I would like to add that this isnt about genre or anyone's actual ability to play their instrument. Only about music that is created, recorded, and moved on from.

Last edited:

cbphoto

Diamond Member
The Beatles were the first band in my universe to stop touring/playing out, but it didn’t matter to me ‘Cuz I enjoy their albums.

I’m more intrigued about the reverse: bands that play lIve but don’t record together: The Beach Boys.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
As far a "big" names that come to mind:
XTC
Kate Bush

As for others, there are hundreds, if not thousands of "side project" bands of name players that make occasional albums but either never play live or very rarely ever play live:

Revolution Saints, Liquid Tension Experiment, MullMuzzler, the list goes on and on and on.

Add in whatever my next band is. lol

Black page

Could be never, could be rarely. This is about the composers, and what do y'all think about it?

Some contenders:

The Beatles
Steely Dan
Infant Annihilator

I'm in it for the end result. I dont really care if the bands can play live or not. I'm sure others will feel differently. What say you?

EDIT: I would like to add that this isnt about genre or anyone's actual ability to play their instrument. Only about music that is created, recorded, and moved on from.
Steely dan? Still performing after Walter Becker's passing.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds

Recorded in 1978 but they didn't tour it until 2006 by which time Phil Lynott and Richard Burton were dead although they still used Richard Burtons voice.

I saw it in 2007 and Justin Hayward and Chris Thompson were still doing it. Chris Thompson absolutely nailed Thunderchild

Mastiff

Most of the time I like the studio albums better when I hear bands live, but there's still something important to me about them being able to play the songs for real. If all you get is a studio album, you don't know how much production magic was used to construct the tracks.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Most of the time I like the studio albums better when I hear bands live, but there's still something important to me about them being able to play the songs for real. If all you get is a studio album, you don't know how much production magic was used to construct the tracks.
But does that really matter to anyone but musicians?

Mastiff

But does that really matter to anyone but musicians?
I think so. Maybe not everyone, but lots of people are impressed by great musicians. I'm sure people thought Rush was cooler because Neil Peart was awesome. If they knew the drums were programmed it wouldn't be the same.

ravenson

Some have more entertainment value than academic performance skills , with some its the other way around and then there are those with both . Also , touring can lose its charm and those who have had enough choose to stay close to the nest , if they're fortunate to have one .

Last edited:

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I was in a "studio only" band for a min. We formed during the lockdown orders early in the pandemic. 4 guys from different states, we wrote and recorded one new song every month with a corresponding music video and podcast. However after a year of doing se we actually decided to meet in person and tour. We did a few weeks in the mid-west last September. Since then we abandon the "once a month release" idea and recorded a full album of new material due out later this year. The band will also be doing a few more mid-west shows in Oct. however I'll be absent from them due to prior commitments.

Macarina

Silver Member
I’m pretty sure one of my fav bands ‘Enigma’ do not perform live.

until I saw the very last line in wiki…

Throughout 2019 and into 2020, three former vocalists for Enigma, Andru Donalds, Angel X, and Fox Lima, embarked on a world tour under the name Original Enigma Voices. This marks the first time Enigma's music has been performed live.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I’m pretty sure one of my fav bands ‘Enigma’ do not perform live.

until I saw the very last line in wiki…

Throughout 2019 and into 2020, three former vocalists for Enigma, Andru Donalds, Angel X, and Fox Lima, embarked on a world tour under the name Original Enigma Voices. This marks the first time Enigma's music has been performed live.
This counts. They went 29 years without performing. And if Original Enigma Voices is not actually Enigma, then Enigma still hasnt performed live.