Band won’t do “full” gigs

rmac86

Hey all,

My current band are in the process of trying to promote an EP we’ve just recorded and the rest of the group seem reluctant to have any live drums. Basically they’ve played several open mics now and I asked if I could get involved to which I was sternly told “no way dude”. Even the compromise of having just a snare and hats on stage was rejected instantly. Not to mention they’ve just cancelled all but one of our full band shows in favour of more open mics.

What should I do? Play the one live show then withdraw my services? Keep hanging around in the hope they change their mind?

Thanks,

R

For me, time to move on. If there were drum on the EP you should be able play as they promote. Sounds to me like a backhanded firing.

They seem to be heading in a new direction and showing you the door. So I’d just tell them you’re going to gig with others and call if they need you. So they harmonizing and think they are the Eagles -what direction they going?

I'm not sure what an open mic constitutes where you live, however in my neck of the woods it's pretty much a non paying showcase which generally leads to opportunities to play at bigger and better non paying showcases. My bias has me thinking that they're "serious" musos, the type for whom recognition and monetary reward are seen as a "bad thing". Find a band.

What should I do? Play the one live show then withdraw my services? Keep hanging around in the hope they change their mind?
Can you link to your EP's sample page?

It sounds like you have the time to take on additional projects.

I asked if I could get involved to which I was sternly told “no way dude”.

Why would you want to be in a band where people don't want you there?

Don't play any shows with them.

Leave and don't look back.

Yeah, sounds to me like it's time to head off to greener pastures. Seems really strange that you would record an EP with drums, but wouldn't play out with said drums.

I agree with PPG, Why would you want to be in a band where people don't want you there?

If you really want it, you can let them know you're available for any shows they might need you, but move on.

Sounds like you were a non-paid session player. If you are proud of the recordings then add them to your resume if not forget about it, either way I say move on.

I feel for you, but they obviously don't regard you or your instrument as one of the team. Also sounds like they're short of material or confidence / desire to put a set together. To me, an open mic isn't a "gig" of any description.

I feel for you, but they obviously don't regard you or your instrument as one of the team. Also sounds like they're short of material or confidence / desire to put a set together. To me, an open mic isn't a "gig" of any description.

Open mics have come up twice ever in my 18+ years of playing with live original bands: one time to try out a new song we were working on as we hit a "writer's block" and one time simply because the band I was in was all acoustic and I played with brushes so we decided to do a stripped down set at a local pub for fun.

I agree with everyone - run. Don't look back.

Unless you have somewhere better to go, might as well stick around. Mind you, practicing alone at home and working on some new stuff might be a better place to go. That's your call.

….Basically they’ve played several open mics now and I asked if I could get involved to which I was sternly told “no way dude”. Even the compromise of having just a snare and hats on stage was rejected instantly. Not to mention they’ve just cancelled all but one of our full band shows in favour of more open mics.

The whole thing sounds really odd to me. Did the recording come out good? (did you play on it?-serious question.)
Are they playin these "open Mics" to try to find another drummer?
You say "they've played open mics". (did you know they were playing, and just weren't invited?.. or were thet "no drums allowed period". Because those are very different scenarios.

BTW, what kind of band are you in that you have to "ask if you could get involved"? If nothin else, you shoulda showed up at the gigs as "the drummer on the EP, even though they are playin an acoustic set in this small place right now because of noise ordinance" (or whatever the actual case, but Im tryin to be positive here..ya gotta work with me.)

T.

Back