Band practice intruders.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
We practice in the so called "function room" (read dump) at the back of a pub. It has it's advantages, but some negatives too. We usually lock the door to the pub from the inside, but tonight, I left it open by mistake after getting some drinks from the bar. Anyhow, a group of quite drunk guys from South Africa decided to sneak in during a number. They sat down, & behaved quite well, I suppose. After a while, they were up dancing, & were joined by a few girls. It got to be very distracting, in a well mannered & funny sort of way, especially as one of the girls decided to fondle the singer & tongue lash his ear! The bar guy (a few tiles short of a roof) offered to "ejaculate" them if we wanted him to. Got a laugh out of that one!

The point is, no matter how well behaved/polite these intruders are, they take your focus off the task in hand. The same can often said for "invited" guests.

Got some stories/opinions?

topgun2021

Gold Member
Well, if you practice in chaos, you are most likely to perform well in chaos.

At school, I practice in a band room that has windows. Girls (mostly freshman) like to pile in the window and stare at me. I stare back and sometimes wave.

At home, my parents flicker the light and sometimes walk down the stairs to wave at me. they used to come from my behind and freak me the hell out. I now face my drums facing the stairs.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Doesn't sound like that big a deal. We used to practice in a garage years ago and folks would come from all over the block to "crash" our practices. Once in a while we'd tell folks we want to be alone to practice for a show or something boring, but often we'd oblige and ask for their opinions. It's all learning, mate.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I usually really enjoy intruders at practice. Kind of gives incentive not to resort to auto-pilot. But for me, that's only true if we're just rehearsing songs we already more or less know. If it's a writing session where there may be some negotiating, exchanges of money, or brawls, I'd rather keep that in the family, so to speak.

Nodiggie

Gold Member
Doesn't bother me a bit. All of us bring friends or family in quite often. They don't stay long once their ears start bleeding from volume overload.

Biscuit

I usually really enjoy intruders at practice.
Me to!!! Hell i'll play for anybody practice or otherwise...doesn't bother me a bit!! The only time i have a problem with guests is if we are trying to come up with a song ourselves, which isn't very often but sometimes it does actually happen. lol That's when i politely ask them to leave.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
The only time i have a problem with guests is if we are trying to come up with a song ourselves
That's when i politely ask them to leave.
Agreed, if we're rehearsing a show (i.e. running through the set), then I mostly don't have an issue. However, if there's any compositional element to the rehearsal, we're there to get work done, & I could do without the distraction. Even worse, "guests" that chip in on creative discussions.

DanJacobs

We used to have the exact same thing happen during our rehearsals BUT it has to be a positive thing.
Musicians have to perform infront of crowds whether at a proper gig or not, we used to have regular public walking in on our practices and we all loved it because its free criticism etc

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
That's a pretty funny story. Mine isn't as funny. Our lead guitarist invited his neighbor (bass player) and the neighbor's friend (guitar player) to a practice. The bass player was cool, but the guitar player was a royal pain in the arse. From the second he got there he complained it was hot, and then he argued that a few of the songs we were playing were in the wrong key and tried to get us to change it. The guy had some brass ones to come into practice and demand we play songs the way he was used to playing them.

Algorithm

It gets pretty distracting having people around. After an hour it seems like they just sit there wanting to leave or do something else but not wanting to be impolite... which is in itself a real distraction, not to mention the "play like that" or "play that song" attitude that the people I know have.

Duracell

The group I'm in is practicing at our singers place. He lives in a large student complex and there's pretty much a free flow of students in and out of his house all the time. It's fun having an audience whilst practicing though I feel my band mates start going a bit overboard when girlfriends/potential girlfriends are around.

PacifRick

I read this thread yesterday and couldn't reply with a story, because we've never have guests. Sure enough at practice last night, 2 guys show up and hung out all night. We actually ended up trying to entertain them rather than practice, but we got to go over some old material we hadn't touched in a while which was needed. Luckily we don't have any shows this weekend to prepare for, but we didn't get a chance to learn the new songs each of us brought.

It really wasn't bad, but I enjoy our practices because it's a change in our normal "here to entertain" approach at shows. I enjoy cutting up a little more, learning new material, taking breaks whenever we want, and laughing/talking about our last show. All that went out the window last night!

Sometimes I get 'Im going to bring my girlfriend/friend/wee sister to practice next week' when im at work.

The guys are usually shocked when I reply with 'No, you're not.'

aydee

Platinum Member

I personally dont like it.

A rehearsal to me is not a jam session or a mock gig. Its a hunker down working session. Lots of stops/starts, replaying sections, lots of conversation... its tedious and all the musicians need to be focused on each other and getting things down, getting them right in this short period of time.

I find that anytime you have an 'outsider', and they all mostly come with the mistaken notion that " hey, there's a band playing, itll be cool to go listen to them", its terribly distracting.

Some musicians even start playing for them..

Last edited:
D

drumfreak1987

yeah, i just say, ''look fellas, a potential fan!" lol. we would just let them listen, not pay any attention. what pisses me off is when you're leaving the rehearsal and some guy is like ,"dude, why were y'all stopping and starting again? how is anyone gonna enjoy your show?" i just say, "well come see our show this weekend, and then you'll see why we stop to correct rough areas of the songs. you won't be disappointed", hand them a leaflet w/ the show on it, and hit the road. anybody ever have a drunk mofo jump on stage and start yelling at your guitar player to solo, the bass player to "do flea!!" and damn near fall into your drums? bouncers tossed his ass out..lol.

alex19

we were playing a club once, when a due got up on stage, and just picked our guitarist mid solo. he then couldnt really sing as he was too far from the mic. luckily a dude in the crown com on stage and removed him. we played like crap for the rest of the show. it totally put me out of my zone. i just couldnt concentrate.