Band give aways /Burner sticks

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I had once a girl during a show asking for a stick..

I asked her what i would get in return, since no one from the audience also gives us ever anything for free, and for some reason we ended up about her panties..The trade happened right after the show on stage, meaning she took of her pants on stage, gave me her panties and putted her pants back on..I gave her the stick and also the panties back..

I am still not very proud about that..

Another girl once wanted my towel and for that she actually made a nice drawing of myself, which i thought was nice and i still own..
Another good story. I still have a napkin some dude handed me that says You Rock.

I like how you leveraged your power position to your advantage :)

Channing

Funny story. I bet a dollar that in the guys mind, he was a God.

Been there, so I can't say anything. I used to be a God too ha ha.

Yeah I was talking about that with my boyfriend who was there watching the whole thing. Probably the guy thought he was the best musician there, but he seemed like maybe someone who had a lot of experience practicing by himself/along with recordings, and not too much playing with others. No listening skills at all. Just overpowering everyone.. Although, at some point, he did play and sing 'Blister in the Sun' and talk me through the drum part in some way that was understandable to me, having never played the song before, so that was something at least. The biggest problem with him was the volume. Maybe he's played so long without earplugs that he's gone deaf.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
My sticks are sold at the merch tables, so if someone catches me and asks for a stick I can direct them there. If I'm doing a gig where merchandise isn't being sold then I politely tell them I don't have enough to give out at the moment. Unless it's a kid, then I'm a sucker lol.

At bigger events I'll sometimes take the sticks that are oddballs to a broken one, or getting to the point of being retired/broken, and toss them out to people in the crowd before leaving the stage.

Super Phil

I just tell people that i only give out sticks that are 'used up'. Sometimes i have several, and sometimes i don't have any that are used up, but people seem to respect that.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I endorse Los Cabos so I get a bit of a discount which takes the sting out. But they are still not free and I don't like to toss my money away.

I tend to toss the ones that are chopped up, worn tips etc. Even keep a few you break at practice in your stick bag for this purpose.

I have my bands logo printed on them so it's a good marketing tool as well.

This whole thing can depend on your bands situation. A guy like Bermuda and myself are in very different spots. As a pro drummer I am assuming he has incorporated and this could be written off as marketing, or an expense.

Another aspect would be a newer drummer or someone paying full price for his sticks. I have told people before that sticks are expensive and I just cant afford it. I find most people are pretty understanding of that. That is much better than just saying NO. Heck you could even offer to sell them the sticks if they don't believe it is the money.

If you gig a lot this also might make a huge difference. At full price I wouldn't toss away a $10 pair of sticks every night. That's a few hundred a month.

If your band becomes pro, and makes a ton of cash you could add sticks with logos to the band fund. Or would most likely get an endorsement at that point.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Who was recently sued for throwing a stick and injuring some female in attendance. Guitar picks don't hurt.

Todd Sucherman, who has been with the band for 27 years, was playing at a June 28, 2015 show at Aaron’s Amphitheatre in Atlanta, GA when he threw a drumstick into the crowd. The stick hit concertgoer Lori Frederick in the face, according to the lawsuit, cutting her face and “causing serious personal injury”.

Per the suit, “Defendant Sucherman breached the duty of care owed to Plaintiff by willfully and negligently throwing a drumstick into the audience without timely and proper warning to allow Plaintiff to fully protect herself from injury.”

Jml

Who was recently sued for throwing a stick and injuring some female in attendance. Guitar picks don't hurt.

Todd Sucherman, who has been with the band for 27 years, was playing at a June 28, 2015 show at Aaron’s Amphitheatre in Atlanta, GA when he threw a drumstick into the crowd. The stick hit concertgoer Lori Frederick in the face, according to the lawsuit, cutting her face and “causing serious personal injury”.

Per the suit, “Defendant Sucherman breached the duty of care owed to Plaintiff by willfully and negligently throwing a drumstick into the audience without timely and proper warning to allow Plaintiff to fully protect herself from injury.”
Yep. I was going to bring this up. I work for an insurance company that insures music venues, and hear about these lawsuits every day. With this country being as litigious as it is, I’m surprised how many drummers still throw sticks into the crowd. Beware....

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Yep. I was going to bring this up. I work for an insurance company that insures music venues, and hear about these lawsuits every day. With this country being as litigious as it is, I’m surprised how many drummers still throw sticks into the crowd. Beware....
This is EXACTLY why I only toss sticks to people close up to the front, and make sure they I am making eye contact with them and they know they are about to get a stick. I also toss lightly so they can catch it. The last thing I want is accidentally hurt someone who isn't paying attention.

Jml

I would suggest musicians stop crowd surfing or jumping into crowds too. A multi-million dollar verdict against a DJ in California recently.