Band drinks for free

It's wonderful that the bar owner supports your band by providing complimentary drinks. It's understandable that you want to handle the situation with sensitivity and gratitude towards your customers. One approach could be to politely inform your regulars that the band receives free drinks as part of their arrangement with the bar. You could express your appreciation for their generosity and suggest alternative ways they can support the band, such as buying merchandise or promoting your performances.

Reactions: GSL
Do you have a tip jar?
I'd encourage people to give you cash instead of alcohol.
I agree. I don't drink on gigs, but people who mean well must assume I do, and while I appreciate their largesse, I politely tell them, thank you, but I don't indulge on gigs, because I have to have a clear head. Nobody in The Kootz at this point is a drinker. The leader and I are very thankful, considering the alcoholics we've dealt with in the past. We had a guy with us a couple years ago who was a great player, but an unpredictable wild card, who drank too much and then clammed all over the place. He's out of the picture now.

Offering bands free beer is a recipe for disaster in some cases. People take advantage of stuff like that.

Get quite a lot of these gigs where there's a free bar for everyone.

We're sensible and just have a couple. Gotta drive home at the end of the night.

I've been in bands with guys with drink problems and free bars are not a good idea!

Where are these bars that give more than one free beer to bands?

That's the best deal my band gets at most gigs...one beer. It doesn't really affect me since I don't drink. What really gets me is one place we play won't even give the band a free soda!!

It's okay though...I'm sure they will be closed fairly soon.

I've also played in several bars which where the opposite: instead of free beers for the band, it was expected that the brand would bring a big audience who would spend (a lot of) money on drinks and food over there. It was there revenue model and reason for asking for bands in the first place, otherwise the bar would be almost empty.

Back