band disband

howidied

hey, imagine you´re paying for a music room with 2 other guys and then for example the group disbands or you go to another band. how should one solve this situation and who should be in possession of the music room? any personal experience?

JimmyTheMonkey

Assuming you are asking how to determine who gets to keep using the practice space after the band breaks up:
one solution I used to choose who got the bigger room with my old flatmates:

Everyone makes a hidden bid on what they are willing to pay to keep using the space. Then all of the bids are revealed and whoever bid the most pays the other two to keep using the space. For example. Party A thinks having the space is worth $100. Party B thinks its only worth $20 - he doesn't really care. But Party C really wants it so she bids $200. Party C will win and then pay $200 to A and B (I assume they split it evenly) and C gets to keep using the space.

It's a little bit of economic game theory. Everyone puts a value on the space and that way you really figure out how much people want it. It worked like a charm for us - one of my roommates said he was willing to pay $100/month more for the bigger room and he got it.

You could also just do a majority vote. If its 2 v. 1, I would think the 2 people get it.

Last edited:

AZslim

hey, imagine you´re paying for a music room with 2 other guys and then for example the group disbands or you go to another band. how should one solve this situation and who should be in possession of the music room? any personal experience?
Usually the room is rented in somebody's name. That makes them responsible.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Back in the days when I rented a rehearsal room/place, being a drummer and not being able to practice in a flat, I always had the renting contract in my name, as I would go there and play/practice every day, then I just splitted the cost of the renting by the number of band mates in any given band, it's efficient, easy, cheaper and when the band stops for whatever reasons, I kept the rehearsal room/place... until I found another band.

howidied

all of these were very bright ideas and made me much calmer and my head clenaer. :)

well we dont have anything written on a paper its just a mouth to mouth agreement. good thing I talked to the owner and made the arrangements so if any problems happen I can just talk to him.

thanks

MJD

Silver Member
Funny, thats how I lost posession of my TAMA Swingstar . The other two decided to take that and the rehearsal space. Kept the snare though and use it with a vintage Ludwig kit and though I cant say I miss the bass drum at all (too big and could never get the sound I wanted) I still wish I had them back. It was the first kit I ever bought, you see. If I were you I'd get the situation in hand quickly but in a friendly manner if possible.