Band Dillema

spides666

This forum seems to be my Agony aunt ha ha

Anyhow a couple of months back I tried out for a young band, they are early twenties and I'm close to Forty............I thought man way too old but hey I'll let them be the judge of that...

It went alright and with time they asked me to join etc etc........now I am feeling I am just not the right fit for these guys.............they are great guys but we are Worlds apart, I can't relate to them

they have big plans and my dream like everyone here to make this a living etc but it doesn't feel right to me

My main hesitation for not quiting has been that's that, no other bands etc.........I only recently returned to originals after many years with a fantastic band which died basically because the singers job got in the way

Also these plans are now going to involve major $$$, I mean do I spend that and down the road leave or cut ties now and give them a chance to find someone who really fits

Rewind me 15 years then fine but me stading with these young guys just feels wrong !!! and who is to say a major label don't think the same

rock on brothers

It's not unheard of for there to be a grey-hair in the band with the young guys. My last band I was in my mid-30s when the rest of the guys were in their 20s... and we got on great.

However, it's not so hot when you can't find any common ground with the rest of the band. I can see where you might be apprehensive about joining these guys. May I suggest you talk to them about it? If they respect you enough to ask you to join them, they will also respect you enough to listen and give their honest feedback.

It may turn out you don't have all that much in common with them 'off-duty', but if you work well with them and the music is great, it seems to me like a good band situation. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, not before giving it an honest chance.

I would have to agree with above that you should maybe have a sit down and talk to them about what you're thinking, and then see what they say.

In my experience most of the groups I've played in have actually been with guys who are in their mid 30's while I'm only 24, and I've gotten along great with them (in the band) but outside of the music we didn't have much in common, and it didn't matter.

As far as the groups went we made music together and that went well, our personalities didn't clash, and age wasn't an issue.

Then again, if you're planning on touring with a group that you have nothing in common with, like I said, I would sit down maybe and voice your concerns to them. I can't think of much that would be more crummy than being stuck in a van for a couple months with a bunch of people you have very little in common with.

Some good points said and yeah I agree playing wise they love me. I have changed the dynamics of the band for the better and we recently entered the studio and I recorded four songs with just a click to follow in under an hour which left them ample time do everything else..............and man did we need that additional time

Age has never really came up, I mentioned it once and we joked about it and well nothing has been said since and they don't appear to care........

But as I said there is going to be big financial commitments required, hell what band doesn't.

Also we will be broaching the subject of a Band agreement soon and well if I do the work with everyone else I will want 25% of the royalties........a four way split.

The singer and Guitarist (started the band etc) wont see it that way............they write the music and lyrics so I guess writing the rhythm doesn't count!

Also we will be broaching the subject of a Band agreement soon and well if I do the work with everyone else I will want 25% of the royalties........a four way split.
There's the toxic conversation right there! I'm involved in the song-writing process in every band I play with. I don't want my parts handed to me and I want the freedom to help craft how the arrangements are going to go.

It's true that drum parts cannot be copywritten, but that argument has never really sat well with me - especially if the band is a start-up where all members go "all-in" to make it work and all are involved in the writing. The exception being where it's clear that there is one or two members who work it all out and everyone else is along for the ride. Of course, that exception can be a huge gray area and where there's room for negotiation. If that's a deal-breaker for them or you, then they have to risk being able to find someone as good. Who's got the most to lose?

I don't care about being a "professional" in the sense that I want to make a living off it, but if there's money coming our way, I want my piece of it to reflect my contribution to the overall sound of the finished "product."

If that's a deal-breaker for them or you, then they have to risk being able to find someone as good. Who's got the most to lose?

well not wanting to blow my trumpet (being a Drummer!!) The fact I went into a Studio and blasted four songs in under an hour with just a click to follow, we even tried some other arrangements!!

and they want to record an album and are looking at another eight tracks. I will have to blitz that as well and I will......

Now to me that isn't cheap to find people that good, I sound arrogant and I really don't want to but literally even the Producer said 'man we'll be finished in time at this rate'....

I'm doing all the gigs with them, all the hard yards etc...........

But as people have said, a four way split is incredibly rare........

Surprise surprise after some backing and throwing and initially saying should get a 105 cut for contribution!!! we have agreed on 25% split so what this space..........perhaps a win for drummers ; - )

Back