Ball socket arm size for Ludwig.

fess

I recently got a new set of Ludwig Legacy drums. I wanted a double tom mount to hang on a cymbal stand, so I ordered an Atlas mount. Surprisingly, the arms where too wide fit into the mounts on the drums. Does anyone know the proper diameter of the arms for the Legacy drums? Thanks.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I recently got a new set of Ludwig Legacy drums. I wanted a double tom mount to hang on a cymbal stand, so I ordered an Atlas mount. Surprisingly, the arms where too wide fit into the mounts on the drums. Does anyone know the proper diameter of the arms for the Legacy drums? Thanks.
It totally depends on the mounting bracket you have. The Atlas L-arms are 12.7mm, but Ludwig used 10.5mm brackets and arms for their Elite mounts and 9.5mm for their Classic mounts and Rocker tom arms. A picture of the mounts on your toms would be helpful.

fess

Just discovered it is 9.5. Thanks. Who would have thought there would be so many choices?

alparrott

Platinum Member
Just discovered it is 9.5. Thanks. Who would have thought there would be so many choices?
It mystifies me why Ludwig has wound its way through all three diameters of L-arm over the years. The move from 9.5 to 10.5 was perhaps inevitable - I don't think anyone else was using 9.5mm for anything other than percussion mounting after the 1970s - but having established years of mounts and hardware with the 10.5mm diameter, why change to 12.7mm?

If you really like the tom stand and want to keep it, you could just add an Atlas mount to your rack tom - it retrofits all Ludwig drums and is made for 12.7mm posts.