Ball and socket snare stands

charliedrummer

I'm looking at getting a new snare drum stand and see that many use a ball and socket design. I've never used this style before and although it appears to be infinitely adjustable, I'm really concerned about it giving out and slipping at the most inappropriate time. For those who have used a snare stand with this design, does it hold well or is it prone to slippage? I'm currently looking at a Taye boom snare stand to fly an auxiliary snare off to the left but am concerned as to whether it will hold.

The Black Page Dude

I used the SB6000BT for a couple years. I never had any problems with it. From what I remember, the Taye stuff is far better now than it was a few years ago. Unless you are an insanely hard hitter I think you will be okay.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
I use a GIBRALTAR concert SS ball/socket with my travel conga... they're solid, you wont have any trouble with slipping.

Soupy

Silver Member
Most tom mounts use ball-and-sockets these days. If you can put a big ol' 10x13 tom on one, I don't see why you can't use one for a snare.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
They wouldn't sell, put the ball and socket S stands on the market if they didn't hold. They work well.