Baked Potatoe in Hollywood- AWESOME VENUE

(Future)DWdrummer

Thought I'd share my musical experience from last Friday...

Went to this little place in Hollywood/Studio City last Friday called the Baked Potato with my dad... Was just a tiny restaurant/club/bar with a nice little sound system and stage...

Oh my was it incredible :eek:

Michael Landau, on guitar, played with a cat named Jimmy Johnson on bass and the monster Gary Novak on drums...

It was probably the most musically intense night of music I've ever heard :D

Landau's tone and style, Johnson's tasty bass licks and groove, and Novak's monster chops and control combined to form a night of unbelievable jazz, fusion and blues music...

Aside from a few Jeff Beck albums, I had never before listened to a band (recorded or live) as musically advanced as this- I really REALLY need to start expanding my musical horizons aha...

I'm quite sure the majority of you have heard monster players like this play before... But as a 17 who mostly listens to rock and alternative, listening to Landau, Johnson and Novak blew my mind :eek:

Anyways just thought I'd share my experience

Jacob G.

I've seen loads of great videos filmed there. I'll get there one day.

That is kind of ground zero for that kind of music. Major league session cats having fun doing their own thing.

There are two live albums recorded there with Landau and Johnson. Greg Mathison is on keys on some tracks and most of it has Toss Panos on drums who absolutely kills me on these disks. If you've heard him with Robben Ford or Larry Carlton, that's just the tip of the iceberg, the cat can play serious fusion. But it still has that same greasy groove that you hear on the Ford tours. Novak plays a little too straight down the middle for me by comparison. He would be awesome in the Electrik Band or something like that where things could get out of hand with all the chops flying around. But Landau has amazing time, as does Johnson. And that lets Toss move around a bit like a bop drummer would.

I got flamed in a youtube comment by Novak for saying this on a clip that was obviously Toss but he claimed it was him. Unfortunate example of cognitive dissonance if he actually thinks he sounds like that. Horses for courses, but check out the albums and see if you like the tighter or looser feel.

That is kind of ground zero for that kind of music. Major league session cats having fun doing their own thing.

There are two live albums recorded there with Landau and Johnson. Greg Mathison is on keys on some tracks and most of it has Toss Panos on drums who absolutely kills me on these disks. If you've heard him with Robben Ford or Larry Carlton, that's just the tip of the iceberg, the cat can play serious fusion. But it still has that same greasy groove that you hear on the Ford tours. Novak plays a little too straight down the middle for me by comparison. He would be awesome in the Electrik Band or something like that where things could get out of hand with all the chops flying around. But Landau has amazing time, as does Johnson. And that lets Toss move around a bit like a bop drummer would.

I got flamed in a youtube comment by Novak for saying this on a clip that was obviously Toss but he claimed it was him. Unfortunate example of cognitive dissonance if he actually thinks he sounds like that. Horses for courses, but check out the albums and see if you like the tighter or looser feel.

Yeah I really really wanna hear Toss now... My dad heard him, at the Baked Potato, play with the guitarist from Toto... Awh geez I cannot remember his name... Ohh this is gonna kill me...

Anyways yeah my dad was ridiculously impressed with Toss and asked him if he'd give me a lesson haha... Toss then asked if I was any good haha..

Who knows, maybe I'm gonna start studying with Toss sometime soon x)

The Bon Appetit was where I always went when I was in LA. But I did see JR Robinson at the Baked Potato once with Joe Sample and Brandon Field and I don't know who else-- he played freaking loud. He really hammered the crap out of his hihats.

Several times, I went to the Baked Potato to see Greg Bisonette with David Garfield.
It was essentially the Los Lobotomys line up without Lukeather.

One time, I got the table right behind Greg's drum set. At the time (and maybe they still do) they had a very strict 2 drink minimum, which they really enforced heavily. So I ordered a beer.

After the 1st set, I'm just sitting there waiting for the 2nd set.

Matt Sorum walks in. He looks at me, and says "hey, is anyone sitting here?" and he ends up sitting with me at my table. Keep in mind, this is right when the Use Your Illusion albums are sitting at #1 in the charts, Guns and Roses are playing stadiums, and are essentially the biggest band in the world at that moment. Matt isn't just a famous drummer, he's a practically a full on celebrity at this point in time. I'm just 21, I've only been in LA a few months. So inside, I'm freaking out, but I keep it cool on the outside.

The waitress comes over. He orders a beer for himself and his buddy. I give my order for my 2nd drink.

We watch Greg, who's just killing it. Amazing drummer. Another break, we talk a little bit about ride cymbals. Matt mentions this new brand band "Soundgarden" might open some shows for GnR soon.

A little while later, the waitress comes over and hands Matt a bill. He looks at it and says "wow, that's a lot of money for just a couple of beers" but he pulls out a wad of cash and pays it.

I sit there. The band's last set ends. The staff is putting the chairs on the table. Cleaning up. The waitress never brings me my bill. And they're really strict about the 2 drink minimum, so certainly, she's going to charge me. I'm waiting, and waiting, and waiting.....and soon I'm the only one left.

And then it dawns on me.... that's what Matt meant about a lot of money for just a couple of beers. She put my drinks on his bill!

So I walk outside, and there is Matt Sorum, talking to some guy.

In my head, I don't care if he's a super rich rock star, and I'm just a broke student, it's not right, I should pay for my own beer, so I should at least offer to pay him back. So I walk up to him, "uh, Matt, I think the waitress put my beers on your bill." He just said "whatever, it's taken care of."

And that was the time Matt Sorum of Guns and Roses paid for my beer, at the Baked Potato.

Several times, I went to the Baked Potato to see Greg Bisonette with David Garfield.
It was essentially the Los Lobotomys line up without Lukeather.

One time, I got the table right behind Greg's drum set. At the time (and maybe they still do) they had a very strict 2 drink minimum, which they really enforced heavily. So I ordered a beer.

After the 1st set, I'm just sitting there waiting for the 2nd set.

Matt Sorum walks in. He looks at me, and says "hey, is anyone sitting here?" and he ends up sitting with me at my table. Keep in mind, this is right when the Use Your Illusion albums are sitting at #1 in the charts, Guns and Roses are playing stadiums, and are essentially the biggest band in the world at that moment. Matt isn't just a famous drummer, he's a practically a full on celebrity at this point in time. I'm just 21, I've only been in LA a few months. So inside, I'm freaking out, but I keep it cool on the outside.

The waitress comes over. He orders a beer for himself and his buddy. I give my order for my 2nd drink.

We watch Greg, who's just killing it. Amazing drummer. Another break, we talk a little bit about ride cymbals. Matt mentions this new brand band "Soundgarden" might open some shows for GnR soon.

A little while later, the waitress comes over and hands Matt a bill. He looks at it and says "wow, that's a lot of money for just a couple of beers" but he pulls out a wad of cash and pays it.

I sit there. The band's last set ends. The staff is putting the chairs on the table. Cleaning up. The waitress never brings me my bill. And they're really strict about the 2 drink minimum, so certainly, she's going to charge me. I'm waiting, and waiting, and waiting.....and soon I'm the only one left.

And then it dawns on me.... that's what Matt meant about a lot of money for just a couple of beers. She put my drinks on his bill!

So I walk outside, and there is Matt Sorum, talking to some guy.

In my head, I don't care if he's a super rich rock star, and I'm just a broke student, it's not right, I should pay for my own beer, so I should at least offer to pay him back. So I walk up to him, "uh, Matt, I think the waitress put my beers on your bill." He just said "whatever, it's taken care of."

And that was the time Matt Sorum of Guns and Roses paid for my beer, at the Baked Potato.

great story

love it

been there many times

had my life changed there many times

:)
Ants, I was waiting for you to talk about how you and Vinnie met up there and wound up sharing a flat in L.A. for a couple months while studying with him. I mean, since you've lived my dream life as a musician and all and had every experience I wish I had, why not?

Forever envious,
8Mile

I'm embarrassed to admit I live one block away and haven't been there since the 80's!!! Go figure.
However, the last time I was there, was because I got an inside tip that Chick Korea was going to be there to sit in. I'll never forget THAT night!

I was sitting at a counter in the back. I look over next to me and there's Roscoe Lee Browne......just chillin'.
Of course (inside) I'm freaking out.
What a night. I love L.A.

Back