BAD PRACTICE HABITS...

i have a bad habit where i practice consistently daily for 2 months and then stop for about the same amount of time, feeling burnt out and lacking motivation to go on...at present im in a rest period...any words, thoughts or ideas appreciated...

nocTurnal

i have a bad habit where i practice consistently daily for 2 months and then stop for about the same amount of time, feeling burnt out and lacking motivation to go on...at present im in a rest period...any words, thoughts or ideas appreciated...
That has happened to me over the past six years since I started playing. It's a real bummer, isn't it? I found that nothing kept me more movitated to play than when I had a teacher. Which drum book(s) are you working through? Tommy Igoe's 'Groove Essentials' (See threads down below) is really helping me stay focused. Do you find yourself procrastinating with other aspects of your life? If so, some self-help books related to procrastination might help. 'Eat That Frog!' by Brian Tracy would be a good introduction. Self-help books have helped me somewhat with my goals and procrastination. But you have to constantly reinforce your brain with the information, otherwise you forget it.

Last edited:

Thaard

Platinum Member
My only problemt is the lack of discipline. Sometimes I can practice singles for a good 20 minutes or so. Other times I just fall out and start playing beats instead. Really irritating, but I gotta stick with it and force my way back.

RhythmDrums

Yea I have that too, alot of time I get behind my drumkit with the intension to play and practice some fills, rudiments or grooves and then after a short while I get bored of it and just start playing covers.

That has happened to me over the past six years since I started playing. It's a real bummer, isn't it? I found that nothing kept me more movitated to play than when I had a teacher. Which drum book(s) are you working through? Tommy Igoe's 'Groove Essentials' (See threads down below) is really helping me stay focused. Do you find yourself procrastinating with other aspects of your life? If so, some self-help books related to procrastination might help. 'Eat That Frog!' by Brian Tracy would be a good introduction. Self-help books have helped me somewhat with my goals and procrastination. But you have to constantly reinforce your brain with the information, otherwise you forget it.
do u make your living off music or do u also do other jobs?
ya its a real bummer, although after about couple days of maintainence practice i get right bak on track...i just need to get over these negative forces that sometimes stop me from practice...thanks man, the book u mentioned sounds gud...

JT1

Silver Member
I too lack discipline when practicing and it is a problem. Although i tend to play what i want when practicing because i want every minute of my drumming time to be fun, i really should control myself more in order to improve. I am starting to learn songs now that i have always wanted but never thought possible so that's some improvement but i really need to keep at it rather than going off on a tangent that happens often =P

dairyairman

Platinum Member
it's pretty easy to get on a tangent. since i only have a fixed amount of practice time a day, i cut it into shorter blocks of time and make myself practice specific things for each time block. the very last time block is the "fun" block where i play along to songs or just jam out on my kit. that's kind of like giving myself a reward for getting through all the less fun parts of practice.

davidr

it's pretty easy to get on a tangent. since i only have a fixed amount of practice time a day, i cut it into shorter blocks of time and make myself practice specific things for each time block. the very last time block is the "fun" block where i play along to songs or just jam out on my kit. that's kind of like giving myself a reward for getting through all the less fun parts of practice.
What I used to do when I really wanted to improve was to make a decent practice regeme just like that. More specifically...

First decide how many hours a week you want to practice, say 7. Set aside those hours in your diary.

Then divide those hours into 20 minute blocks, so in this case there would be 21 blocks.

Now, either choose 21 things you want to work on, which are likely to be pretty specific with so many. This could be: Moeller, ghost notes, comping, grooving in 5/4 etc. Alternatively, choose 7 more general areas so that there will be 3 blocks of each, then spread them out over the 21 blocks.

Finally, if you really want to be organised, get a folder and divide it into the areas you're working on and in each one store the material you need and some way of monitoring your progress, like writing down the tempo you reach if you're doing speed, for example.

SOME TIPS: once you have this in place, let yourself play whatever you want for as long as you want outside of the schedule. You won't feel guilty about just playing what you want in your 'free time' as long as you do the practice as you've planned to when the schedule tells you to. You can switch up what goes in the blocks anytime, just make sure you stick to them when it comes to the practice. Also, allow yourself 5 minutes break between 20 minute blocks. If you follow this schedule you will get much better much quicker than if you just sit down and practice what you feel like. If you find that you fall short of the practice schedule every week, reduce the hours until it is sustainable. Hope this helps...

Malti

I found that nothing kept me more movitated to play than when I had a teacher.
Same here. I always thought I was pretty self-disciplined but being accountable to the instructor has helped more than anything. I have a friend who absolutely will not go to the gym unless she is meeting her personal trainer. My relationship with my teacher is a bit like that although I hate to admit it. I ask him to push me and he happily obliges!