Bad Bum Experience

Old Dog new Cans

So, last week I finally decided I'd re-wrap a couple shells. I called Bum Wrap Co. 4 times over a 4 hour period. Probably seems excessive, but I was ready to buy, let's do this before I change my mind or Walopus emails back (which is part 2 btw). I also had Murray from Bum Co.'s cell #. I nearly bought some wrap last year, he had called me back, said txt or call whenever. By the 5th call I was wondering if it was a holiday on the East coast or something? What the heck. I even tried twice, to simply buy what I wanted from their website. Paypal approved, get back to the site, "ERROR". Oye Now I'm just kinda disgusted at the whole situation, but then Murray calls. Awesome. Get my order in, etc etc, sorry blah blah whatever. All good now, no worries.

I ordered some Red psych mod or ??? Called him back the next morning and said, just change it to Bubinga. He txtd me immediately with "Got It!"

So at this point, I'm happy, everything is good.

I get the wrap Wednesday, at it is NOT bubinga. It's not even bubinga fade, which I could easily live with, it was a toss up with those two wraps. But, he sent me something, well it wasn't bubinga, bubinga fade, or the red psych mod. It was very, brown. I was going for something with a reddish tint (to sit with my new custom built 20" bass drum--has a red tint and stain, thing).

He txtd me back yesterday after I called and explained the mistake. He apologized and said it was his fault. He'd get the bubinga sent out today.

So I called. Left a message, hoping he'd give some email confirmation that the replacement and correct wrap would be sent. Nothing as of yet.

And the Walopus remark. . .It took them 7 or 8 days to get back to me with a "we can't do that" email. :rolleyes: I was wondering if they could "one off" a wood grain with the proper pics.

Is this the result of The Internet? These types of problems. Walopus doesn't even provide a phone number. But, not contacting customers in a more timely fashion. Maybe I'm a jerk of a customer, I don't know. My money's good.

There is too much tech in our world today, for it to take a business a week to reply to an email. And, Bum's website still has 2018 price listings and obviously has problems because it denied a Paypal purchase. STAY UPDATED!!!!

Do you all run into similar problems? Has anyone else had problems with Bum Co? I posted similar on a diff forum and there were a handful of guys with similar experiences.

I mentioned in a previous thread that I have had 6 or 7 drums that I wrapped, one four piece kit, and the only issue I have had was a miscommunication on a snare I was doing. The proper wrap was done in good time and it was perfect when finished. Keep the communication open.

Try to keep in perspective that these are just drum wraps. Obviously we want them and want the right thing, but you're not really worried you won't be able to play a gig or anything. I don't believe they're a real big company, be persistent but patient!

I will do my best to stay communicative and patient. And, I get it. Not like I ordered a heart or liver! But man, some really slow responses and the website is definitely disappointing as well. Jobeky drums are now using Bum as their wrap provider. Murray said that January and February are their busy months. . . . .?? So who knows.

LOL!! Dr Watso, I just realized how the title would give a giggle. I don't say bum for butt. Didn't occur to me that it would be laughable :LOL:

I was talking about this in another thread, I copied what I wrote.

Ive wrapped 3 kits and i have used Bumwrap for all of them. They have always gave me fair price and i have no issues with their product. The problem with Bumwrap is customer service. it's like pulling teeth to get anyone to answer the phone or to reply to an email

YES! Absolutely correct. Wretched customer service. I'd love to buy about another 4 pieces of wrap. But I don't want to give them my money. I can't get a response on whether they corrected their mishap on my order and shipped out the correct wrap choice. Very disappointing to say the least.

I ordered five samples from Bum Wrap when I was considering wrapping my gong bass drum. Samples were ordered in early January of 2019 and I received them promptly in the mail. I received five samples, but the one I wanted to see firsthand the most--and compare with the other samples as a reference--was not shipped. Instead a totally different sample I had not ordered was sent in its place. I contacted Bum Wrap and he said he would ship out the missing sample right away. I offered to pay for the other sample as a courtesy even though I hadn't ordered it as well as offering to pick up shipping on the missing sample. Over a year later I still have yet to receive that missing sample. I opted to strip and paint the drum instead which ended up being the best thing to do.

Overall, I think Bum Wrap is a fantastic product and worthy of anyone's consideration, but the customer service is certainly hit and miss.

bum bubinga.jpgbum fade.jpgIMG_0169.JPG

So here's the situation. . .I ordered the bubinga. Would have accepted the fade, which is lower left, and what they sent me is the brown stuff there at the right. Apparently, Murray said they've had some troubles with getting the proper tint--if you look closely, that seems to be the same grain as the fade on the left. BUT NOT EVEN CLOSE IN COLOR!

I spoke with Murray a few hours ago. Honestly, he sounds full of it to a point. At first he tried to convince me that the reason I was seeing the reddish tint bubinga fade on their site, and not on the wrap he sent me was lighting. I'm not an idiot Murray, you'll have to do better than that. That reddish tint fade comes up on my phone and on my PC. SO, I back tracked and decided to have him send me the Red Psych Mod that I had originally ordered.

I swear, I will probably just accept WHATEVER THEY FRICKIN' send me at this point. And I wouldn't doubt if he has me ship back that brown bubinga wrap. It's nice! Just, not at all what I wanted.

I was surprised as HECK, that he answered the phone. I did use a different "extension" this time.

I won't order from them again. I know that. This stuff stresses me out, I'm rather OCD.

?HERE-YEE HERE-YEE

Let it be known that on this, 14th day of February 2020, Mr Dr Watso is recognized for his restraint given the title of this thread.

Take 3 gold stars out of petty cash!

Let it be done....
This guy can stay.

Murray is trying to get things taken care of. If they are having problems with getting things the right color--they certainly need to correct that or things will fail miserably for them. I hope to have something I like by week's end. Murray and I txtd a "confirmation" of sorts earlier, so, hopefully.

View attachment 90253View attachment 90254View attachment 90255

So here's the situation. . .I ordered the bubinga. Would have accepted the fade, which is lower left, and what they sent me is the brown stuff there at the right. Apparently, Murray said they've had some troubles with getting the proper tint--if you look closely, that seems to be the same grain as the fade on the left. BUT NOT EVEN CLOSE IN COLOR!

I spoke with Murray a few hours ago. Honestly, he sounds full of it to a point. At first he tried to convince me that the reason I was seeing the reddish tint bubinga fade on their site, and not on the wrap he sent me was lighting. I'm not an idiot Murray, you'll have to do better than that. That reddish tint fade comes up on my phone and on my PC. SO, I back tracked and decided to have him send me the Red Psych Mod that I had originally ordered.

I swear, I will probably just accept WHATEVER THEY FRICKIN' send me at this point. And I wouldn't doubt if he has me ship back that brown bubinga wrap. It's nice! Just, not at all what I wanted.

I was surprised as HECK, that he answered the phone. I did use a different "extension" this time.

I won't order from them again. I know that. This stuff stresses me out, I'm rather OCD.

Jammin Sams could be another consideration for wraps.

Jammin Sams could be another consideration for wraps.

It was ALL about the bubinga, Larry. I couldn't find anyone else making wraps, that had the wood grain look I liked, except Bum. And the other half was cost. Bum is simply cheaper. BUT, in the future. . . . . .

At this stage, it's probably easier to buy bubinga drums if you're that obsessed.

If they were in my price range, believe me I've looked. If I'm going to put the work and effort in to re-wrapping, I'm not going to just settle for something that's a similar facsimile.

Back