Back trouble

Muckster

Platinum Member
An MRI has confirmed i have two protruding discs at L4, L5. I see the neurologist on Monday next.

I'm quite concerned now about how long this will slow my drumming down. I know i'll have to make some changes, loose a little weight, drum throne with back rest etc...

Anyone out there been through something like this?

Sorry to hear about your bad news, I'm a back sufferer myself, a couple years ago I had to approach drumming and more importantly, the ergonomics of my setup, in such a way that I wouldn't feel anymore pain while playing, I've done a thread about it when I joined the forum, and I've been working even further on the importance of the body in relation to the instrument, the good news is I'm able to play the kit without feeling any pain.

I also take great care when I'm not drumming when carrying physical effort.

Here's the thread: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82838

Would a chiropractor be able to help with this? How about an inversion table?

Would a chiropractor be able to help with this? How about an inversion table?

yeah man, both are great suggestions! also, try yoga or acupuncture… yoga has done marvels for my mental health… used to have a ton of self esteem and inner dialogue issues, drumming, yoga helped in so many ways… i am more flexible, more emotionally mellow... i don't feel stiff for no reason anymore! i used to think that yoga was the lamest thing in the world… i'm a shotgun-shooting, bbq-ing, beer drinking texan (the first and last never in combination, though)… see if you're back is well enough to do beginners' yoga… not criticizing, i'm just not a medical professional… talk to your doctor to see what he/she thinks

yeah man, both are great suggestions! also, try yoga or acupuncture… yoga has done marvels for my mental health… used to have a ton of self esteem and inner dialogue issues, drumming, yoga helped in so many ways… i am more flexible, more emotionally mellow... i don't feel stiff for no reason anymore! i used to think that yoga was the lamest thing in the world… i'm a shotgun-shooting, bbq-ing, beer drinking texan (the first and last never in combination, though)… see if you're back is well enough to do beginners' yoga… not criticizing, i'm just not a medical professional… talk to your doctor to see what he/she thinks

Funk and Uncle Larry:

I definitely want to try physical therapy before any type of surgery. MY neurologist is a DO so that's going to be his first recommendation.

Massage, chiropractic, stretching/yoga, meditation, inversion, posture while playing, relaxation techniquesaccupuncture, accupressure, accuweather, ;) all these things combined should be plenty.

Do you play trad grip? Most trad grip guys lean unnaturally to the trad hand. Steve Gadd illustrates this. I would think leaning while doing trad grip would aggravate it.

Don't let them cut.

Curious, why a neurologist? I thought they were brain guys. This is a spine thing, right?

Anyone out there been through something like this?

Since 1982

Life goes on, it just hurts. Sometimes a lot but generally it's bearable. I have only been completely incapacitated about 5 times since then. With rest,heat Ibuprofen and an occasional Vicoden, I can get back to normal in a couple/few days.

Sitting causes me the most pain so drumming is on the list of things that hurt but it certainly doesn't stop me.

One thing that often works for me is to work my legs (doing squats) until they burn. I think the leg muscles tighten up and it somehow pulls the back muscles and relieves some pressure.

It's free and easy so, give it a shot.

And, YES on Yoga.....if you can do that kind of thing. I know it would help me but I'm just not a yoga class kind of guy. I wish I was smart enough to suck it up and do it but I'm not.

Massage, chiropractic, stretching/yoga, meditation, inversion, posture while playing, relaxation techniquesaccupuncture, accupressure, accuweather, ;) all these things combined should be plenty.

Do you play trad grip? Most trad grip guys lean unnaturally to the trad hand. Steve Gadd illustrates this. I would think leaning while doing trad grip would aggravate it.

Don't let them cut.

Curious, why a neurologist? I thought they were brain guys. This is a spine thing, right?

Yes, I am a trad player. And yes Neuros work on the back. I wish i had a dime for every time someone tells me "don't let them cut." I lived with elbow pain for years until an Air Force ortho cut in to my elbow and fixed it. It's been 30 years now. Sometimes surgery is the right thing. But i don't want to rush that option.

Back