Back pain from playing the gallop

JT1

Silver Member
Hi folks

I was at band practice last night and we are writing a new song, it pretty much features a galloping rhythm all of the way through which I play throughout the track at about 150-160 bpm, however I found my back hurting after playing the song a couple of times. Now I'm not sure if it is a balancing problem and I'm trying too hard to maintain my balance on the throne or if it is technique related.

I find the gallop quite difficult to play and I find my feet changing position, sliding down the pedals, I'm leaning back sometimes and it all feels a bit awkward.

Do you think it is as simple as the beat is difficult to play and these problems will fade with time or do you genuinely believe there is more to it?

I really need your help on this one guys, sorry to post yet another double bass thread but that is what is affecting my back and the sooner I can fix it the better.

Thanks

joeysnare

Silver Member
you might be having the same problem i used to have with gallop beats, as my legs got tired id stomp down harder and harder to compensate eventually lifting me away from my pedals, kind of like i was hopping. also you could just be hitting much harder with one foot, and your weaker side is taking the brunt of the reactionary movement. sounds like a case of just concentrating on staying loose bro.

JT1

Silver Member
you might be having the same problem i used to have with gallop beats, as my legs got tired id stomp down harder and harder to compensate eventually lifting me away from my pedals, kind of like i was hopping. also you could just be hitting much harder with one foot, and your weaker side is taking the brunt of the reactionary movement. sounds like a case of just concentrating on staying loose bro.
Cheers Joey, what you described sounds spot on. I think my main problem is that I have trouble in the mid tempos a lot of the time too, maybe I need to concentrate on practicing around those tempos to be able to play it comfortably.

Do you have any advice for staying loose bro?

joeysnare

Silver Member
id like to just say play from the ankles but gallops are a strange animal, i always just concentrated on my slide motion on the foot thats doing the double. in my case my right foot slides a bit further back on the footboard for the first hit then slides forward quickly for the second hit, kind of like a heel toe but a bit diff motion.

this should illistrate what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GobQz0MVG0A

hope this helps :)

Drum-Head

Silver Member
Have you ever though of playing it as as the following pattern?

RLR LRL RLR LRL

Although I am by no means a master on intricate feet patterns, I find it easier to play it for longer periods like this and since both feet are doing the work instead of just the right, you might feel less tensed up. Also, it makes you work on your left foot.

JT1

Silver Member
id like to just say play from the ankles but gallops are a strange animal, i always just concentrated on my slide motion on the foot thats doing the double. in my case my right foot slides a bit further back on the footboard for the first hit then slides forward quickly for the second hit, kind of like a heel toe but a bit diff motion.

this should illistrate what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GobQz0MVG0A

hope this helps :)
Ah good old spikeydrummer gotta love him. Yeah that's cool I give it another bash yesterday and it wasn't as bad, I actually tried a lighter beater too and I have a bit more control as the swing of the pedal is not as powerful. Just practising now I guess.

Cheers for the suggestion drum-head that is a good point and definitely one which I will try and learn. I find it really difficult playing that way ;)