Back in the saddle (throne) again!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday was an exciting and liberating day for me - I played my first gig in almost 16 months! It was with a band that I've played with for 10 years, so there was no rehearsal necessary for our list of well-known oldies. The gig was literally the first time I'd played with humans since March of 2020! It was a private party with just a small and eventually inebriated crowd, and it generally went well. I managed to remember all of my parts and arrangements & endings unique to the band, so no train wrecks.

Playing with musicians is different than practicing at home or playing along with recordings, and the first few songs were a bit odd re-adjusting to the ordinary pushes & pulls that players have. But it all locked-in quickly after that and it was an enjoyable gig. Being outside in a neighborhood, we we're playing fairly quietly, so my lack of stamina wasn't a problem. More gigs are already coming in from my assorted bands, and I'll be back in shape soon. :)

But also momentous about this gig was the live debut of my Neusonic kit that arrived last year just as the gigs stopped, and hasn't been played out until yesterday. Everyone dug the finish and the sound! The pic is a little deceptive, those are 22/13/16, and you can see a sliver of my beloved Copperphonic under the rack tom. I asked that old clown with the hat to get off my kit so I could take a picture, but he just sat there grinning at me. 😮

_drum_Neusonics2.jpg

I dig that finish (y)

Things are coming back to life here. First gig confirmed for July 24. More on/appearing on the calendar. Aug and Sept are filling fast. :D

Last edited:
Yesterday was an exciting and liberating day for me - I played my first gig in almost 16 months! It was with a band that I've played with for 10 years, so there was no rehearsal necessary for our list of well-known oldies. The gig was literally the first time I'd played with humans since March of 2020! It was a private party with just a small and eventually inebriated crowd, and it generally went well. I managed to remember all of my parts and arrangements & endings unique to the band, so no train wrecks.

Playing with musicians is different than practicing at home or playing along with recordings, and the first few songs were a bit odd re-adjusting to the ordinary pushes & pulls that players have. But it all locked-in quickly after that and it was an enjoyable gig. Being outside in a neighborhood, we we're playing fairly quietly, so my lack of stamina wasn't a problem. More gigs are already coming in from my assorted bands, and I'll be back in shape soon. :)

But also momentous about this gig was the live debut of my Neusonic kit that arrived last year just as the gigs stopped, and hasn't been played out until yesterday. Everyone dug the finish and the sound! The pic is a little deceptive, those are 22/13/16, and you can see a sliver of my beloved Copperphonic under the rack tom. I asked that old clown with the hat to get off my kit so I could take a picture, but he just sat there grinning at me. 😮

View attachment 106004
Just one word: Fantastic!

Gigs returning here too - Two gigs this weekend (Private Parties) with two more Private Parties in the next two weeks after this . I have three gigs booked in August (so far). Not sure when Bar gigs and weddings etc will come back yet .

i was on the fence with that finish, i had only seen stick photos fro Ludwig. After seeing an honest pic i will say , while its not my favorite, i do like it.
Glad to hear you are back to playing live!

Glad you enjoyed the gig. It does take a bit to get back in the groove playing with others. I like the low mass lugs and that finish reminds me of a digitized version of the classic Fab finish. This is the maple/cherry isnt it? So what’s your test drive of the Neusonic? You said everyone liked it but what about you?

If you look up the definition of happiness, they should have that pic of Bermuda right next to it.

No words.

It's nice to know that your love of the instrument hasn't diminished one bit despite being "over 40"! 😆

Just like riding a bicycle - once you've learned you don't forget. (y)
Yep! I remembered Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl and Old Time Rock & Roll perfectly! :)

It's nice to know that your love of the instrument hasn't diminished one bit despite being "over 40"! 😆

I'm well past being "over 40". Let's put it this way, my next doctor's appt will be covered by medicare! 😮

But age is just a number... I still play and feel like I did when I was 60! :)

If you look up the definition of happiness, they should have that pic of Bermuda right next to it.

No words.
Agreed, It's a really nice photo and a pleasure to look at.

Thanks guys! I still enjoy playing, and that's really the most important aspect of dragging my gear around whenever possible. If I wasn't having a good time, there's a clear solution...

Ask for more money! :)

Great to see Jon, & the picture tells the total joy story.

As for your observations on a bit of band pulse disconnection after such a long break, I got that too on our first gig - probably further exacerbated by event pressure. Overall, it was rushing / starting tempos that I picked up on the most (both from me & other band members).

Great to see Jon, & the picture tells the total joy story.

As for your observations on a bit of band pulse disconnection after such a long break, I got that too on our first gig - probably further exacerbated by event pressure. Overall, it was rushing / starting tempos that I picked up on the most (both from me & other band members).

Was lucky that there was no pressure on this gig, and we only had one possible tempo issue. The guitar player always starts Gloria (by Them) a little loosely, and when I come in 2 bars later with a little pickup and the beat, I set the tempo when needed. I stayed with her tempo this time, and it was relaxed but not slow IMO. After a few more bars the bass player (who also sings it) leaned over and said "it's too slow" but I pointed out that people were dancing - for the first time about 8 sings into the set - so it must be right.

Or, they were starting to get drunk.

Hopefully both!

Back