Back in the Saddle Again

Hello, drummers! I just started playing again after a 27 year hiatus. Drums were my first instrument. I played from ages 6 to 18, and then that was it for another 27 years. Guitar has been my main instrument since I was about 9, but I've never lost my total love for drums. I write music, do something kind of like singing, play bass and can fake my way around a keyboard. But for me, rhythm is everything.

I've been programming drums for a few years, and can do a pretty good job of it, but you really have to play rhythm to understand it. I started studying afro-cuban rhythms about 2 years ago, and picked up a djembe just so I can have something under my hands. Then a few weeks ago, there was a beautiful snare on eBay that I had to have. The next thing I knew, my hihat was out, and I picked up a cheap kick.

It's frightening how little coordination I have given how well I could play before. It's equally amazing how quickly it's coming back. I never had any kind of finger technique before. I didn't even know that was a thing back in the day. I'm really impressed with the vast amount of information that's available these days. It's exciting to get back into it.

Macarina

Silver Member
I hear ya brother. Same here (except the guitar part).

Rusty getting back in, but once I found the place I play way better today than my early days. I think I'm more passionate and have a better ear today.

Welcome back