Back beat....

Tbonez

Most semi-experienced players know where the back beat is "supposed" to go or where most musicians expect the back beat to be in common and typical time signatures...(3/4 - 6/8 - 4/4). Im interested to see when it gets into deeper water (example -15/16) what other drummers method of figuring out where the back beat needs to be placed.

I've heard explanations from the music tells you where its supposed to go to divide by 4..... What is your philosophy or opinion on where the back beat "should" go...

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I'm thinking of Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight". Would the backbeat be on count 1 of each measure or count 4?

donzo74

Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight". Would the backbeat be on count 1 of each measure or count 4?
I count that in 4/4 and subdivide in 16ths because the hi hat is playing "1 &a 2 &a 3 &a 4 &a", accenting on the quarter notes. In this case, the bass drum (downbeat) is on beat 1 and the snare drum (backbeat) is on beat 3.

donzo74

If you want to go the other way with Clapton, think about the verse part of Bell Bottom Blues. That reverses the halftime feel because it puts the snare on 1 and the bass on 3 with a tasty little drag on the snare just before the bass. Interesting feel.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..Im interested to see when it gets into deeper water (example -15/16) what other drummers method of figuring out where the back beat needs to be placed..

Here you have 2.40 minutes of information that can keep you busy like half a year with this..:)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
There ain't no rules. A backbeat is just a term, not a requirement, or allocation.

Regardless of the time signature, you can put the back beat anywhere you like, although I think most players expect them to be repeated for most measures. It's kind of just calling out the consistency of certain notes that are easy to identify.

Songs don't even have to have back beats.