Baard Kolstad

Botiarazman

I've just recently noticed that there's no thread about this guy. He's the drummer for Norwegian prog rock/metal band Leprous and some other projects. And I think he's amaaazing. One of my absolute favorite drummers. He has such a unique sound and feel and he's really creative with his parts (some of which are damn hard btw.) And he's so precise live! He also plays with so much power and passion - such a great drummer! So I honestly think he deserves a thread here and a bit more attention!

Anyone listened to 'The Sky Is Red' playthrough?

I think at about 7:00 min mark you will see an interesting left foot HH doing an artificial grouped pulse.

Anyone hazard an observation of the grouping?...looks like it resolves in 11 counts over the 'main' structure.

Beautifully subtle.

Last edited:
Just discovered Leprous and saw them live. Baard blew me away. One of the best drummers I ever heard. Powerful, precise, technical etc etc. And inovative. You can see that this guy lives drums 24/7. Amazing

Truly amazing band and drummer. His name is pronounced "bored", but his playing is anything but boring... Start here:

He's not your average stick acrobat (look how many notes I can hit!), but also a great musician with a lot of creativity and polyrhythmic genius similar to Gavin Harrison's (who I've heard he admires) and generally very tasteful playing. Many of their songs are almost pop music, so groovy. Great sound and it's also worth checking out for Einar's voice.

There's also a good, detailed transcription and breakdown of the song here:

Anyone listened to 'The Sky Is Red' playthrough?

I think at about 7:00 min mark you will see an interesting left foor HH doing an artificial grouped pulse.

Anyone hazard an observation of the grouping?...looks like it resolves in 11 counts over the 'main' structure.

Beautifully subtle.
They have lots of elevens going on, the song itself is 11 minutes long and the album like some others contains 11 songs (with bonuses).
I saw it transcribed as 4+4+3, but I found the accent placement the real tricky part, that makes it sound so natural (and difficult, too).

Hey Baard, how do you feel that association?(your participation would be wonderful)

There's this new playthrough.. that is great in so many ways. Is there a name for what he's doing there? Rimflam? I don't understand..

To me this is one of his most impressive videos, considering that he was only 19 years old. Too bad he plays in band where he can't fully displays all his skills..

Too bad he plays in band where he can't fully displays all his skills..
I think he displays them well and then some.. Leprous has a wide range of tunes. He also plays in more than one band. But his versatility is over the top for sure.

I've just recently noticed that there's no thread about this guy. He's the drummer for Norwegian prog rock/metal band Leprous and some other projects. And I think he's amaaazing. One of my absolute favorite drummers. He has such a unique sound and feel and he's really creative with his parts (some of which are damn hard btw.) And he's so precise live! He also plays with so much power and passion - such a great drummer! So I honestly think he deserves a thread here and a bit more attention!
I watched a video of him in the studio, he broke 4 pairs of sticks performing that one song... now correct me if I'm wrong, but 4 pairs?? not even Eloy Casagrande breaks that many sticks.. to me that is bad technique. Yes he is good, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have bad technique...
(ducks for cover).

I noticed he also takes his shirt off during shows. I think if he played more efficiently, he wouldn't feel so hot and exhausted. I wonder if this is why his haircut is shorter lately. The whole situation got so bad after a while that now the audience is demanding him to be shirtless. See even in the music video below (titled Below), only the other band members are dressed. The guy is literally loosing his shirt over not practicing enough! lol. [/sarcasm]

Last edited:
And I thought I was Mr. bad azz when I learned Make me smile..Chicago. Damn!. I'd try this for maybe 40 seconds with a keg of Red Bull beside my floor tom. Even then I'm sure the band would be yelling Dude!..your slowing down! 😠.

I noticed he also takes his shirt off during shows. I think if he played more efficiently, he wouldn't feel so hot and exhausted. I wonder if this is why his haircut is shorter lately. The whole situation got so bad after a while that now the audience is demanding him to be shirtless. See even in the music video below (titled Below), only the other band members are dressed. The guy is literally loosing his shirt over not practicing enough! lol.
I agree IF Baard is unable to play the part with less effort...but effort is a component of texture for the part...and may well be the emotional need.

Getting the same emotional content may not convey to the audience...and back to himself...without the effort.

I loath(maybe too strong a word?) monochromatic dynamics...a trap that Baard seems to avoid...so i say, sweat away!(especially under the BTU's put out by the audience and lights)

Transparence of emotion is missing in so many performances..feeling like the drummer is posing and dancing around the part and is not a PART of the part. I feel none of that here.

Thanks Doramon...I really enjoy these conversations!

Last edited:
I watched a video of him in the studio, he broke 4 pairs of sticks performing that one song... now correct me if I'm wrong, but 4 pairs?? not even Eloy Casagrande breaks that many sticks.. to me that is bad technique. Yes he is good, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have bad technique...
(ducks for cover).
I know I love aged sticks(when I have aged them)...chewed to heck...lighter...vetted for integrity by their previous use...a bit more 'whippy'...peels of attached wood like watching old video of Norm Abram(this old house/new yankee workshop) shaving a shape. I get a pile of 'em and go at things...but they are closer to their age limit. I love 'em when I am trying to inject effort as an honest texture and not trying to over rely on technique for everything(i find that purely chasing efficient technique can flavor the product closer to sterile/timid - which can be the perfect feel at times)

I also have sticks that are over 40 years old that have been consistently used and preferred when I am avoiding flagrance.

I bet his experience is similar?

Last edited:
I know I love aged sticks(when I have aged them)...chewed to heck...lighter...vetted for integrity by their previous use...a bit more 'whippy'...peels of attached wood like watching old video of Norm Abram(this old house/new yankee workshop) shaving a shape. I get a pile of 'em and go at things...but they are closer to their age limit. I love 'em when I am trying to inject effort as an honest texture and not trying to over rely on technique for everything(i find that purely chasing efficient technique can flavor the product closer to sterile/timid - which can be the perfect feel at times)

I also have sticks that are over 40 years old that have been consistently used and preferred when I am avoiding flagrance.

I bet his experience is similar?
He seems too young to have that experience..

He seems too young to have that experience..
Are you calling me...wait, what were we talking about? <<wanders off muttering at the sky>>

Are you calling me...wait, what were we talking about? <<wanders off muttering at the sky>>
Dementia symptoms... mmm too much of that in the news lately... the only think I got from all that (the news) is that younger people are very intolerant of people that are elderly. Aging is like that movie final destination, no matter what you do (surgeries, exercise and all combined) you can't escape it. Or, like Resident Evil taught us, you can't alter genes to make age disappear, you end up creating monsters and we want none of that, so just be nice to old people!.

Last edited:
Back