B20 or bust

They believe they are cast like most others. Paiste just doesn't have an "in house" foundry so when they get to the Paiste factory they are discs of a very specific weight and thickness. Then the hammering, shaping and lathing start. All part of the quality control.
They are not cast in a way that for every cymbal there is a round casting which is then rolled out. Of course every alloy was molten in the beginning and then casted into a form. But this is what Paiste does differently than the others: the raw material for the cymbals (talking about 2002 and Signatures here) are round discs stamped out of sheets which were rolled in a mill. You can clearly see these raw discs and how uniform they are in the video on the Paiste website. And if you take a look on a finished but not lathed cymbal you can clearly see that the raw material was a sheet rolled in one direction. I own a Dark Energy Dark Dry Ride where you can see the direction and the uniformness quite clearly. Not sure how that might be different for the B20 Paistes as B20 for my knowledge can not be rolled to sheets in a mill. But for B15 and B8 I‘m sure about that.

I invested rather heavily in Paiste Big Beats last year. I love them. But I’m getting a little bored with the sound, so I ordered drum center of Portland’s Zildjian A sweet set Monday. 18 and 20 thin crashes, a 23” sweet ride and 15 new beat hats for $799. Seemed like a decent deal to me.

Should be here tomorrow, and I’m pretty excited to get them. When I started drumming the mid seventies you didn’t see anything but Zildjian A’s in South Dakota?...

Anyhow if I have both sets to switch back and forth or mix up, that should hopefully take care of the boredom issue.

I vote B8 AND B20!?

Sounds like a good project. Post it up when you're done. ;)

About the topic - I've run across more good B20 cymbals than good B8 cymbals. But there are some B8's that I really like.

hehehe I kind of changed my mind a bit, it would be nice but I thought there was about 5 ou 6 brands, there are about 50 of them.

Not going to do it.

I have a B-52 it's a great Kick Drum mic?

I used the Beta 52 for years. It is a great bass drum mic, but its also pretty limited in its flexibility. It has that great boost at 50 hz, but if you wanted your bass drum to sit a little higher, then good luck.

I switched to the RE20. Its not a novice mic when it comes to a bass drum. With a Beta 52, you can just set it in front of the drum and get a usable bass drum sound with little effort. RE20's require a bit of EQ sculpting, but damn....when I get it dialed in, I get a way better bass drum sound. I personally like my low-end to sit around 80 hz, because I like the bass guitar to have the bottom. With a Beta 52, I couldn't have that, bass guitar had to sit on top.

Well, here are the A’s. They sound nice, I’ve kinda missed Zildjian. They are a good bit less loud than my Paiste, which surprises me.View attachment 95248

Nice setup. On the point of volume, your B8 Paistes likely have a more focused sound than your B20 Zildjians. That's why B8 is sometimes said to have better cut than B20. Brighter frequencies shine through more effectively. Darker frequencies are more diffused.

I went to a local store today, and I asked about the Zildjian S line. C.M. Jones you wouldn't have been happy there, they said that they had the S line previously but they weren't selling well.

Honestly I was told to look at the B20 instead, 100% true story.

It's sad I really wanted to hear the sound of these Ss anyway, probably somewhere else another time. I liked a couple Sabian AAX cymbals they had, it looks like a good line.

I went to a local store today, and I asked about the Zildjian S line. C.M. Jones you wouldn't have been happy there, they said that they had the S line previously but they weren't selling well.

Honestly I was told to look at the B20 instead, 100% true story.

It's sad I really wanted to hear the sound of these Ss anyway, probably somewhere else another time. I liked a couple Sabian AAX cymbals they had, it looks like a good line.
It’s sad the staff were so anti B8. No wonder some kids just assume anything not B20 is crap.

Cymbals made of B8 can of course sound great, but then they will cost the same if not more than some decent cymbals made of B20. For novices looking for good sound at an affordable price tag there are more options in B20 country, that's what I would state as a fact. Most entry/intermediate level B8 stuff sounds rather tinny and one-dimensional whereas you find really good sounding B20 cymbals for reasonable money.
I think that's why B20 is sometimes missunderstood as the better material.

I used to have and play Zildjian A's, never liked the K's and back then disliked the Paiste Giant Beats.

Now I cant stand the A's, I'm 2002s and Giant Beats only. All B8's !

To me the Giant Beat Multi's are the best sounding cymbals ever made.

Still dont like the K's.

I find today's Paiste 2002 a bit heavy for me - definitely not material-related problem, as I find Bonzo's Giant Beat tone very to my liking.
Ahhh! But have you tried B25?
I have a made-in-China China cymbal with an alloy that's slightly silver-er in colour than B20, so maybe that's B25. It's hand-hammered and sounds real loud and throaty.

As a native American-English speaker, the above sentence is probably too complex for the average native American-English speaker. We are used to grammaticide. Things like "aint got no", "more better", "you want I should", and "used to could've" reign supreme. Thank you for taking the time to try to get right what most native American-English speakers cant.

Does the rest of the English speaking world have this problem?
It does. 'Could of' and the greengrocers' apostrophe (If there's a gap, stick an apostrophe in it) have ravaged the UK in a way that Coronavirus can only regard with envious eyes*
*spigots.

All of the companies that try to make good cymbals do make good cymbals. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Peace and goodwill.

Back