B.O.A gone M.I.A.?

TheEpigone

So I did some pretty in-depth searches and couldnt find anything on this. I probably missed it. Any who...

Anyone remember the BOA pedal system PDP came out with a while back? I remember watching some demo vids on it and videos about how it worked and stuff and I wanted it so bad. I haven't heard anyone talk about it or even mention it in these threads I've read through.

Anyone have any news about it? I heard they discontinued it maybe? Anyone have one? Know anyone that has one? Something wrong with their design or construction? I've been really considering getting one off eBay perhaps if they are decent. I'd really like to test one but NO BODY carries any. No one nearby at least.

They had issues with the footboards breaking. I believe DW still has plans to bring an updated version back to market in the near future

Yea I checked out that guy's forum posts on his board-breaking story. Apparently he had some bad luck with his but everything turned out good in the end from what I can gather. His story is the only negative one I could find. I don't think PDP/DW discontinued them for faulty construction (they may have, though), I just read a Bob Gatzen (inventor of Boa) YouTube comment from a few months ago that said "economy" was the issue (which is reasonable; I don't see many people that bought them) and that PDP is bringing them back (perhaps revamped) in 2012. I REALLY want to try and find one now cuz I'm really into them (despite that one person's bad luck) but I'm thinking that waiting for the rerelease is smart. Perhaps they DID discontinue them for reparative purposes, then perhaps they will be more reliable (if they ever really weren't) when they come back out.

Besides the design issue, I think DW shot themselves in the foot selling this as a PDP product. PDP is not a name associated with the high-end and when the retail price of this pedal was towards the top, but with the PDP name on it - nobody wanted to buy it because they just couldn't justify the expense on a 'budget' line. Had DW taken a bigger risk and marketed it as a DW product, it may have sold better and it doesn't have to directly compete with their high-end pedal offerings given that it's a different kind of product.

I like the design a lot. I think it shows some great lateral thinking but given the fact that these issues exist and the expense I can't justify it.

Besides the design issue, I think DW shot themselves in the foot selling this as a PDP product. PDP is not a name associated with the high-end and when the retail price of this pedal was towards the top, but with the PDP name on it - nobody wanted to buy it because they just couldn't justify the expense on a 'budget' line. Had DW taken a bigger risk and marketed it as a DW product, it may have sold better and it doesn't have to directly compete with their high-end pedal offerings given that it's a different kind of product.

I like the design a lot. I think it shows some great lateral thinking but given the fact that these issues exist and the expense I can't justify it.

I couldn't agree more. They should've had more faith in this product. PDP just doesn't have enough name behind it (IMO) to really get this concept out there-- I mean, how many people have you talked to that actually have them? The design, like you said, shows that some really great minds are behind this tech but they just need to stick their neck out a little more for it.

Back