Axis Sonic Hammers

Daniel Touw

A few years back I got rid of the Axis sonic hammers but i'm considering purchasing them again. Does anyone know if the head of the beater can be rotated enough to center them more on the drum head? The Axis longboard pedals aren't as centered as other pedals and when I play them on my Roland KD-10, the slave beater hits the side of the pad. Moving the pedal on the kd-10 more to the right causes a lot of wobble.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
With those beaters, I found they had to strike the head absolutely inline with the drive, or they would loosen. Far too much leverage on the L shaped arms for them to stay put in any other position.

bud7h4

Silver Member
If you're playing Axis pedals, the "Auxiliary Beater Arm" can be rotated to tilt the beater left/right.

It is #12 in the diagram below.
I would not simply rotate the beater shaft and turn the head in order to move toward center. That would probably not last long. By tilting the aux arm you can get the slave beater right next to the other one.

Daniel Touw

If you're playing Axis pedals, the "Auxiliary Beater Arm" can be rotated to tilt the beater left/right.

It is #12 in the diagram below.
I would not simply rotate the beater shaft and turn the head in order to move toward center. That would probably not last long. By tilting the aux arm you can get the slave beater right next to the other one.

Yea i've tried this and moved it as far as it could go. Since the main pedal lines up directly in the center of the drum head, this does not help. I appreciate the reply tho!

K Chez

Yea i've tried this and moved it as far as it could go. Since the main pedal lines up directly in the center of the drum head, this does not help. I appreciate the reply tho!
Had the same problem, solved it with the docking station to offset the main pedal to the right so the beaters are equidistant form the center of the head. Did have to do some mods to tie the two pieces together though - using it the intended way pretty much feels like your playing a pedal that isn't clamped to the hoop.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Did you have the same issue as K Chez or did yours work right out of the box?
I didn't modify mine, but it did have a different feel.
first off make sure your rubber feet on the pedal are still in good shape, Axis can replace those too as they dry out over the years and get squished.
Second, if you play on carpet I found it didn't work nearly as well as a hard floor.

To be honest I don't use mine much anymore as it's one more thing to carry in a bag and set up. I just live with the offset pedals.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Thanks for the info. I'm on carpet at home, which in itself feels less solid than hard floors. I don't need to compound that by adding the dock thing. I can live with the offset beater I guess. Funny thing is the offset one sounds better than the main. Less boomy and more attack.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
you could try and tighen up the right side of the head a bit so the center of the drum and right side are closer to the left. I have never done that but it could work.

Get a nice thick patch and you will be good.

bud7h4

Silver Member
you could try and tighen up the right side of the head a bit so the center of the drum and right side are closer to the left. I have never done that but it could work.

Get a nice thick patch and you will be good.
That just gave me an idea. I'll try replacing my double beater patch with a different single patch for each beater. Try to find a combo that equalizes the attack, at least somewhat.