Axis pedal settings you may want to try

bud7h4

Silver Member
Worked well for me, just wanted to share.

Some have found controlling Axis pedals can be difficult with the VDL positioned forward. So they slide it back to the middle for a slightly heavier feel.

When I did this I gained some control but speed required a bit more effort, and rebound didn't feel as good to me. Or more specifically, I didn't like the way the pedals felt at the point of contact with the drum head.

Solution: I moved the VDL forward again to about 90%, and added a slight amount of beater weight to counter the lighter feel. Voilà !!

I now have all the responsiveness and super-light feel due to the VDL forward position, and the beater adjustment provides a superb feel for what the pedals are doing.
And I was pleasantly surprised that overall speed is better too. (I actually laughed out loud when I felt how easily I could play at high speed.)

Not sure how well this would work for heel toe since I don't play HT.

Last edited:

Ban One

I'm fairly new to Axis pedals. I just bought an A long board. I really like it.

I have mine dialed in pretty nicely I think. I found a good balance between power and speed. My VDL is probably about 3/4 of the way forward (meaning it's positioned closer to the drum head and away from the rotor), beater angle is about 45 degrees and tension is to the lower end of the spectrum. The only way I could accurately explain it is that there are 6 threads exposed after the wingnut.

I'm curious to try out more options with the pedal. What is your beater angle and approx spring tension? Thanks.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Worked well for me, just wanted to share.

Some have found controlling Axis pedals can be difficult with the VDL positioned forward. So they slide it back to the middle for a slightly heavier feel.

When I did this I gained some control but speed required a bit more effort, and rebound didn't feel as good to me. Or more specifically, I didn't like the way the pedals felt at the point of contact with the drum head.

Solution: I moved the VDL forward again to about 90%, and added a slight amount of beater weight to counter the lighter feel. Voilà !!

I now have all the responsiveness and super-light feel due to the VDL forward position, and the beater adjustment provides a superb feel for what the pedals are doing.
And I was pleasantly surprised that overall speed is better too. (I actually laughed out loud when I felt how easily I could play at high speed.)

Not sure how well this would work for heel toe since I don't play HT.

I have my VDL almost 100% forward.. usually 90-100 depending on everything. That is the ONLY way I can do heel toe one them.
springs low to medium. and beaters just a bit inside 45 degrees. Like you I have some real heavy beaters on them and they feel great. That was the key to nice rebound and control.

for slower stuff I'd rather the vdl be back abit but for metal it has to be forward for me.

OP, if they feel good, leave em for a while. .. I often switch something and it takes forever to dial it back in. haha

I bought the A21's and they feel unreal. more power very smooth, but they feel a bit different to me. not quite as easy for heel toe but I could just be used to the old ones or having dialed them in yet.

bud7h4

Silver Member
What is your beater angle and approx spring tension? Thanks.
On my A21 the angle is just under 40 degrees, and springs are just over 50% (with the microtune assembly).

On the A-Longboards (original spring assembly), tension is about 70%. Beater angle is difficult to determine on these since I'm using the sonic hammers.

I bought the A21's and they feel unreal. more power very smooth, but they feel a bit different to me. not quite as easy for heel toe but I could just be used to the old ones or having dialed them in yet.
Actually what I'm trying to do is get my A21s (Sabres) to feel more like my ALs, which were perfect right out of the box.

My original post is probably too wordy for what I was trying to communicate; the main idea is if they feel too light and uncontrollable, try getting the beaters to feel a little heavier (beater adjustment) instead of the pedal board (VDL adjustment). By doing this I sacrificed no speed or responsiveness at all.

drummingman

Gold Member
I know its a little of topic but if the pedal board and beater angle on Axis pedals were indepednetly adjustable they would be the perfect pedal for me. But since I like my pedal boards as low as they can go with my beater back a good amount that rules out Axis for me. Total bummer!

lildrumr

I know its a little of topic but if the pedal board and beater angle on Axis pedals were indepednetly adjustable they would be the perfect pedal for me. But since I like my pedal boards as low as they can go with my beater back a good amount that rules out Axis for me. Total bummer!
You can get height spacers or shims to put between the tip of the footboard and the linkage to raise (or lower) the footboard indepednetly. I use them. They cost very little too.