Axis caliber x, or trick dominator

Sjcfoxxy

Hello. I am new here so sorry if this question has been asked

axis recently came out with the caliber x pedal, its basically a x model but with 3 micro tune tensioners, george kollias signature beaters,and its black. Has anyone had any expirence with it? I think they also got rid of all the allen keys but could be wrong about that.
Or second option, trick dominators. I know it will be a win with either. Are theyre any big differences is how they play? Is heel toe easier on one or the other?

thanks alot :p

NackAttack

I think the only differences between the Caliber X and most other Axis pedals are the micro tune you mentioned and that they don’t have a variable drive lever.
I’m not sure how the Trick Dominators vary from the other trick pedals other than they use less material to make them.

In my opinion heel toe should be just as easy on one as the other. There will be an adjustment period when switching to any different pedals.
I would be careful and find a way to try out Trick pedals before you buy them. A lot of people seem to dislike the compression spring that they use.

Sjcfoxxy

Thanks for your input! Ive actually decided not to get either of those and go with the new pro 1 v from sweetwater, or the george kollias signature pedal. Ill eventually get both, but i think ill go with trick first. Ill post pictures when i get it. Sweetwater just added it and its low mass and custom painted. Here is what it looks like https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P1VBFLM2-GR--trick-drums-pro1-v-bigfoot-low-mass-custom-shop-double-pedal-sweetwater-exclusive-green

I just want something something fast, i dont need alot of power. Ill keep doing research on both before it comes time to buy.

NackAttack

No problem. I actually have the Pro1-V Bigfoot Low Mass double. I was ready to upgrade from a Iron Cobra after about 16 years. I am 100% happy with these pedals. I researched for a long time and chose these over the Tama Dyna-Sync and the Axis Kollias you mentioned.

Do you plan on using triggers?

Sjcfoxxy

I used to use iron cobras too. I didnt adjust it that much and and had a loose bass drum head. I couldnt understand how everyone else went so fast and made it look easy. I sold my kit a few years back. So now im starting to build a kit now.

I would like to trigger eventually, all i have now is a dw go anywhere practice pad set. And i dont plan on jamming with anyone or playing live. Just a second hobby type thing.

Do you trigger? I bet the trick laser triggers are nice

NackAttack

Yes I use triggers. I’m sure the Trick laser ones are awesome but I don’t have those. I use a Roland TM-2 and mix it in with a Audix D6 mic.
I just asked because the Axis you mentioned has some sort of built in “electronic kit” and I didn’t know if that might aid in your purchasing decision.
Not sure how comfortable you are with heel toe technique but I really took off when I got a trigger. It allowed me to really focus on each beater stroke while actually playing. Without any other drums I could focus on this, but once you add the rest of your limbs things can get a little muddy. Once I got a trigger I could focus on fixing accidental triplets, accidental singles, and galloping. It really helps you notice things that tend to fly under the radar without it.

Sjcfoxxy

nice. I would use the tm-2 as well if i triggered as well. I hear good things about the foot blaster triggers too. The trick triggers better be awesome for what they cost. I know what you mean, right before i sold my pedals i got the idea to put a piece of treated wood from a tv stand in front of my pedals lol. It was like using triggers and the rebound was crazy.

I practice the motion of the heel toe with out pedals right now. But just messing around i imagine if would be alot better with pedals.
You said you have the low mass version, how well do you like that? Does it give the pedal a lighter faster feel?

NackAttack

You said you have the low mass version, how well do you like that? Does it give the pedal a lighter faster feel?
I honestly can’t answer that. The only comparison I have is with an old IC. So in that regard, it is definitely lighter and faster. As far as compared to the non-low mass version of the Trick, I have no idea because I’ve only played the low mass version. I assume there isn’t that much difference (if any) between the two. I figure Trick is just finding ways to improve on a pedal that is already pretty dang good. The only reason I went with the low mass is because I got a discount and ended up paying $800. I think if I would have paid full price I would have just got the regular one.