Awkward drum shop experience...

daredrummer

Gold Member
So I was at a drum shop the other day, planning to try out some cymbals. I told the guy there that I might be interested in a new cymbal, and I went to try them out. Well, I was pretty sure I wasn't gonna buy a new cymbal, because I am planning on getting one used. But i still wanted to try them out, to see if i liked them or not.
So even though i didnt ask, he comes over and gives me some help (although i didnt really need it, because i knew what i was looking for).

Anyway, when im done, i tell the guy that i think ill pass for now. Then he sortof scoffs and gives me a rude glare, like i just wasted his time. Well i didnt even ask for his help in the first place, and even if i did, i think its terrible to be rude to someone just because youre not going to buy their product.

There are usually very nice people at this shop, they let me try out stuff for as long as i want, and sometimes will even let me try some of the stuff in the back.
This was a new employee apparently, and now im a little worried about going back, because i dont want to run into him.

Has this happened to anyone else?

You're bound to have clashes with employees at almost any kind of business, its just part of life! I would say simply don't worry about it, and go about doing exactly what you plan on doing, regardless of this guy's opinion! Its not like you did anything wrong...

The problem with most drum shops is:

It's a low paying job.

Most salesmen are on commission, and only earn pennies on the dollar.

Because of the low pay, turn over is high, so often the person behind the counter hasn't worked there terribly long, and is still learning how to do their job.

Of course, it could be worse. Wait until you go buy your first car!

and now im a little worried about going back, because i dont want to run into him.

No biggie......just wander back in and go about your business. Ignore the git and take your business to one of the other sales staff. Certainly nothing to be worried about.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Yeah, I've copped attitude before. Usually not from drum stores though and certainly never from my local. Why would I let it bother me though? I can either choose not to return to the store or if I do, I can refuse to speak to the dimwit and make sure someone else gets the sale. Whilst there's cash in my pocket, they are at my mercy....not the other way round.

Yeah. Here's a tip: if the manager comes in after you close the deal and says "where's the car thief?", you just got royally screwed.

Re: this guy- don't ever buy anything from anyone too stupid to know it's in their interest to be nice to you.

Lol i sold cars for 3 years. If you buy a honda, the price actually is the price. While at Nissan (youre never getting a good deal at one) i could make $1500-10000 on a single sale. While at honda it was $150-800, its the same at Toyota lol so be gentle on those guys :D

As for the drum shop, as a past salesman, i can say, eventually you just treat people like jerks because people expect you to be one, and treat you accordingly. Or perhaps he makes money off of cymbals and figured you were just "test driving" the merchandise. Either way, i wouldnt be worried about going back, if he does anything unprofessional, simply let his manager know.

If you want to check something out at store then do it. Dont let someone run you off. I have had some guys bend over backwards for me. And I have had some that wouldnt help me when i knew what i wanted and just needed to pay for it. It happens. Im nice to them no matter what. It may not have been you at all. Some guy before you may have been banging on a snare for 5 hours and put him in a bad mood. That doesnt excuse his actions toward you. Just give it another chance. It may have just been a bad day.

There is a worse fate than being given bad vibes - being pressured into spending your hard-earned on something you don't want. I've been suckered in plenty of times by intense, pushy people.

As I get older I'm finally finding the courage to resist when people pressure me to part with cash for their wares. I still don't find it easy because I prefer good vibes.

Good point Polly.............you should never feel pressured to buy anything. I feel the salesman's job should be to present the product and its uses. The buyer should decide if it is something that they need or want.

Either you are allowed to test drive the merchandise or you are not. If you are, then you can take as much time and do it as often as you like before you make up your mind. You are also allowed to change it.

Be fearless, my friend.

I know a couple of guys in our guitar equivalent stores and once they get to know you they're really helpful. I asked a guy about the Fender Jaco Pastorius signature Jazz bass and the next time I visited the shop he had a Japanese and an American version in-store. Wow and guess what I bought one!

They did say about the nightmare season of school holidays when all the teenages come in just to try anything; they haven't got a penny between them and so they really are wasting the shopkeepers time.

Davo

Go back and tell him you want to buy a thin Paiste or Zildjian top of the line crash and then hit it so hard you crack it (make sure the route to the exit is clear before you do this).

Seriously, we all have off days and I can be a pr!ck when I have one of those. Next time he might be the best sales person ever. But if he does it again...

I'm lucky, here in Canberra we have a few music shops that have drummers on staff who really know their stuff and provide a really good service: if you have questions they spend as much time as you need and are really cool about it if you don't buy anything, no pressure at all. As a result I drop in there whenever I'm nearby and don't often walk out without a new pair of sticks, new head or some doodad or other (a drummer can never have enough doodads!).

The only thing about these guys that cheeses me off is that they are seriously good drummers and I feel embarrassed every time I play a cymbal or kit because I am not <:(

It could be he was feeling the old "I'm-just-trying-it-out-'cause-I'm-buying-it-cheaper-on-line".
This is killing the local shops. just saying...

You told the guy you might be interested in buying one but you knew you would not? Kinda lying to him doesn't help your case here. He would not have been so eager to help you if you would have said you were just looking. Don't tell someone you are interested in a purchase if you are not.

I guess I see it from the other side, too - in a real way, you WERE wasting his time. You went in and put wear and tear on his merchandise with no intention to support his business. And while you felt like didn't need his help, most people would feel upset if he DIDN'T help them, so the poor minimum wage bastard really has no way to win unless he can read minds! ;-)

Not that it justifies being rude, but I can sure understand why things like that make a person WANT to be rude.

Ideally, the relationship between customer and merchant should be just that - an actual relationship. Too often, that's not the case though.

This sounds like another Guitar Center encounter to me. At any rate, just let it roll of your shoulders. Though next time don't just be quiet. Say something if it bugs you, but don't drop to his level. Say "Excuse me, sir, but have I offended you in some way? I'm a customer and really don't appreciate the way you are coming across to me." And see what happens. My money would be on he'll do a complete 180 and start throwing you discounts in fear you'll tell his boss. Sometimes people like this need a slap to the face, even if it's not technically a "slap."

Oh, and one more thing... There's nothing wrong with shopping around. I don't know how many cars from how many lots I test drove before buying. You have every right to know what you are buying before you buy it. If that means you want to go into the store and hit every cymbal they have, but in the end want to go next door and buy one from them, there's nothing wrong with that. It's part of the business...they have to earn it from you. Being a jerk about trying things out without buying isn't earning your business, but more like showing you the door.

I guess I see it from the other side, too - in a real way, you WERE wasting his time. You went in and put wear and tear on his merchandise with no intention to support his business. And while you felt like didn't need his help, most people would feel upset if he DIDN'T help them, so the poor minimum wage bastard really has no way to win unless he can read minds! ;-)

Not that it justifies being rude, but I can sure understand why things like that make a person WANT to be rude.

Ideally, the relationship between customer and merchant should be just that - an actual relationship. Too often, that's not the case though.

I get what you are saying but....................there is NEVER a time in retail sales where anyone should be rude, period. Word of mouth is the BEST way to make sales hands down. Look at us talking about the apparent dufas that was rude! If I knew the name of the store and was close by I would never use that guy and maybe never go to the store! Bad news travels much faster than good. His time IS YOUR time while YOU are in the store because it is retail. It is a relationship. I have a great relationship with my drum guys at Resurrection Drums in Hollywood FL. They are great!

Thanks for all the replies guys...

And to be specific, what I actually said was, "I'd like to check out a few rides"
I didn't really say I'd be interested in buying one.

And actually Travis this was guitar center! Do they have a reputation for being rude to customers who don't buy?
Fortunately there's a drum HQ nearby, which cover's most of my drum needs. They hardly have any paiste stuff though, which is why I went to GC.

I wouldn't let it get to you.
The employee probably won't remember you, or he won't be there the next time that you go to that store.

I'd like to point out that if you were at guitar center, you weren't at a drum shop. You were at a corporate guitar store that happens to have a drum section. There is a huge difference.

Back