Awesome experience

8Mile

Platinum Member
I was fortunate enough to take a private lesson with Jim Riley yesterday. Jim is touring with Rascal Flatts and spent his day teaching at my local drum shop. I didn't get to attend the show last night but I hear it was killer! In addition to conducting a master class, Jim was available for a few private lessons and I was quick to sign up.

It was a great experience. I knew Jim was a fine player but I learned what a great teacher he is as well. Having a chance to spend some time with him talking and playing drums and picking the brain of someone who has made it big in super-competitive Nashville was something I found very inspiring. Jim is not only a talented pro but he's a really nice guy, too. We even got to talk Ludwig drums, which was a lot of fun. Jim is a Ludwig endorser, and so am I, Ludwig just doesn't know it yet. :)

At the end of the day, I walked away learning some new things and getting some salient advice from one of the big names in the business. It was worth every penny, and then some. I really just wanted to share this with everyone. I'm kinda buzzing over the whole thing still!

Wow that's cool. Where was he at? It's verey cool to get a lesson/tips, etc... from guy's like that. Was his "system" easy to understand?

I head nothing about it, or I would have done it, at least the master class. Dang.

I know Dave Northrup (Nashville guy, frmr Travis Tritt drummer) and he's done clinics and lessons at H&B a couple times. Dave's a great guy. If you get a chance to get with him when he's in town, it's well worth it.

Hey, Karl. It was up at Joe's shop.

And yes, it was easy to understand. We set up two kits in the teaching studio so we could both play at the same time.

I will keep an eye out for Dave. Thanks for the tip!

I can't say I've ever heard any of Jim's work but getting advice from a player you respect only ever does you good.

There is definitely a difference, however, between a player that can play and a player that can play and teach. I have no doubt that you would've garnered more from your lesson that I would've had regardless of Jim's teaching, but having a great teacher that's been there and done it helps put a real perspective on things. 8Mile, you've always struck me as somebody that knows what they're talking about and it's great that you had such a positive experience with somebody that you respect.

Back