Avedis Sweet Ride 21, too heavy

Grolubao

Hi everyone,

I got a A Sweet Ride 21" brilliant finish and even though I like the sound (I believe I'd prefer the traditional), this cymbal feels very heavy when I hit it, it's not think like my 20" K Custom Dark Ride.

Is it because it's a 21"?
Is it because it's an A?
Is it because it's brilliant finish?
Is it because it's the new edition and now the old school one?

What suggestions do you have? I like the sound and versatility of it, but it's actually kind hard to even hit the bell by how thick it is since I'm used to thin cymbals.

I would return it if you're not in love with it.
Don't settle for; select.
Happy hunting!

Yeah, I hear you, but what do I get instead? The reason why I got the 21" Sweet Ride was to have a bit more ping and cut more than my K Custom Dark Ride 20"

I got that t-shirt some time ago now

I was playing a zildjian pre-aged dry light ride 20" and a stagg brilliant DH 20". A sweet 21 came up in the area so I bought it.

I was very impressed by the look of the cymbal. I really have the impression of good manufacture. I tried to like the sound but found it would not sing at the the velocities I had to play it at. Also Very hummy and gongy. It just didn't do what I was looking for.

I think it's a zildjian A thing. Something about the edge thickness and the profile doesn't work for my ear. I have the same feeling about newbeat hihats

I got that t-shirt some time ago now

I was playing a zildjian pre-aged dry light ride 20" and a stagg brilliant DH 20". A sweet 21 came up in the area so I bought it.

I was very impressed by the look of the cymbal. I really have the impression of good manufacture. I tried to like the sound but found it would not sing at the the velocities I had to play it at. Also Very hummy and gongy. It just didn't do what I was looking for.

I think it's a zildjian A thing. Something about the edge thickness and the profile doesn't work for my ear. I have the same feeling about newbeat hihats

Yeah, I think it might be, I totally get what you mean by gongy, I mean overall I like the sound, it's clearly versatile, but for me it's more about the feel of the stick when it hits the cymbal, it just feels thick and heavy, I can't really explain it, I never had that issue with the K Custom. It's almost that the Sweet Ride has too much rebound vs the K Custom.

The other issue is that this is a catch 22 since most K's K Customs that I like don't have a great ping so it will not cut for my Pearl Jam Tribute Band, but then they feel thick

Probably not making much sense but this is how I feel it

isn't there a..

maybe that

cymbals are just a means to an end- play over them -(play.. past them-They will all wash when played forcefully- enough....Play past them and not to worry ..

Just as long as it doesn't fly off the stand and slide across the stage You'll be fine :) :: )
It's when you get 'very low volume' like a jazz quartet it matters the qualities when played Low.
otherwise ride em for all they're worth..

but- you should weigh- what the 21 you have weighs- so you have some guide going into another cymbal- remembering 21" are of a certain weight range etc..(as is every diameter..
That 21" K Sweet says 2390g up there I'd be curious what your 21 A Sweet is; the same or heavier etc..
whether it comes down to A-style/ K-style or that the A Sweet is heavier than the same diameter K Sweet ...

Last edited:
cymbals are just a means to an end- play over them -(play.. past them-They will all wash when played forcefully- enough....Play past them and not to worry ..

Just as long as it doesn't fly off the stand and slide across the stage You'll be fine :) :: )
It's when you get 'very low volume' like a jazz quartet it matters the qualities when played Low.
otherwise ride em for all they're worth..
Yeah, but what I feel from my experience is that washy rides often do not cut on rock bands well enough, some exceptions for sure like the 24" Light Ride, but yeah

Reactions: jda
washy rides were once the...whats the word... parameter of Rock bands. Mitch Mitchell Keith Moon even Ringo. (Don Brewer
I've taken Old Ks, Bosphorus up to redline many times : )
I miss doing that
I think the band still feels the pulse frankly.

Presently have some Bosphorus Turk's just to attempt to keep the stick definition.
They're thin and dark yet, still with Stick

Zildjian doesn't make a Turk (unlathed) series altho they are slowly inching ( 21" Articulation Ride) towards it..
talk about being slow to the game )

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear you, but what do I get instead? The reason why I got the 21" Sweet Ride was to have a bit more ping and cut more than my K Custom Dark Ride 20"
I would try out one of the Sabian AA or Zildjian A Rock Rides. They give you plenty of Ping AND they can give you wash when needed. Very versatile rides. My 20" A Rock Ride was my first Zildjian, purchased when I was 11. I've used it on Rock and Jazz gigs to this day.

What suggestions do you have? I like the sound and versatility of it, but it's actually kind hard to even hit the bell by how thick it is since I'm used to thin cymbals.
Enjoy it or try the 23”. I’ve never liked the A 21” Sweets I’ve played as I’ve found them to wash out too easily. I sold one in the 2300g range not long ago because of that. Recently I picked a 23” A Sweet around 3000g and am pleasantly surprised with it. I’m used to darker cymbals, but this one is a keeper. It feels and sounds good even at lower volumes. My K Custom Dark is what I consider one of my brighter rides.

I have used that 20” K Custom Dark for near 20 years, so I get what you’re saying about the difference in feel.

Edit: You may want to take a look at the 22” K Dark Medium Ride if you want to stick with Zildjian.

Last edited:
If you’re after more ping and cut, and you like the sound and versatility of your Sweet ride, then I’d keep it. Thicker cymbals offer more ping and cut, so any cymbal with those qualities will be thicker than your K Custom Dark. Keep playing it and you’ll get used to the feel.

BTW, this is from someone who loves thinner cymbals, so I know where you’re coming from. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get the sound you want.

Yeah, I think it might be, I totally get what you mean by gongy, I mean overall I like the sound, it's clearly versatile, but for me it's more about the feel of the stick when it hits the cymbal, it just feels thick and heavy, I can't really explain it, I never had that issue with the K Custom. It's almost that the Sweet Ride has too much rebound vs the K Custom.

The other issue is that this is a catch 22 since most K's K Customs that I like don't have a great ping so it will not cut for my Pearl Jam Tribute Band, but then they feel thick

Probably not making much sense but this is how I feel it
It's good to get it off your chest and talk it over. This is also a drummers 🏥 hospital for the relief of mis-purchasing. I've made these mistakes as well. It inspires you to play what's inspiring to you and if it's not..that can also convey to an audience. Gotta have whatchya gotta have. Don't just settle. 😃.

Hi everyone,

I got a A Sweet Ride 21" brilliant finish and even though I like the sound (I believe I'd prefer the traditional), this cymbal feels very heavy when I hit it, it's not think like my 20" K Custom Dark Ride.

Is it because it's a 21"?
Is it because it's an A?
Is it because it's brilliant finish?
Is it because it's the new edition and now the old school one?

Is it not giving you more ping and cut? Generally, with increased weight, cymbals have more ping/cut and less wash. You wanted all that but with a cymbal of the same thinness as your K?

Yeah, I just don't know if it's not too much on the ballpark of the K Custom Dark Ride 20", sees a bit too washy at times

Maybe I'm just trying to find the perfect ride
Ahhhhh. So you’re in the eye of the hurricane. Cant find what you need or what works.

Maybe gotta exhale and not panic like i do. I agree that a thinner and better feeling sweet ride might be too washy. You could end up finding one in a random shop one day in Kenosha, Wisconsin or Carson City, Nevada. It’s possible, not likely but possible. I would also echoed someone’s comments about moving up to a 22, just a thinner, medium ride and see if that works.

My own solution to the Zildjian dilemma has been to switch to Paiste. I choose from the options they give me and make it work, in my case a 22” 602. 40 years of looking for the perfect Zildjians took its toll on me. I have some very very nice A’s and K’s modern and newer, but I really can’t be bothered with it anymore. I feel your frustration tho.

Good luck.

I have a natural finish Sweet Ride, but that's 11 years old now. Wouldn't say it's a heavy ride at all. Has some give in it and opens up easily, but the Paiste Sound Formula 20" Dry Ride i have feels (and is) much heavier. The brilliant version is a bit more pingy and can contribute to a heavier feel (never played one though). Haven't played the revamped version, but mine is broken in and i play with maple sticks which also makes cymbals sound less 'brash'.

Do you know what the weight in grams is Grolubao? You may also want to be on the lookout for a (now discontinued) 21" Zildjian "Armand" ride. It was part of the "Armand" series that was released maybe around 2008 or so and was discontinued in 2013. I have a 21" Armand and although I don't have a 21" Sweet, I've played them before. The Armand is a little washier and opens up a bit more. You may want to try one of those if you can find one, it's definitely a "cousin" to the Sweet Ride.

For reference, my 21" Armand weighs 2464 grams.

Reactions: iCe
Back