Aussie's Metro snare drums?

Drum Guy

any body have experience with Metro Aussie snare drums? considering this guy - Metro 7.5x13 Copper Snare Drum w/Jatoba Rings

It's shows not seamless, not welded, but rivets? Any major sound/sonic difference in this riveting between welded or seamless? Are Metro good snares to own re: value, quality?

thanks
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 10.27.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-27 at 10.28.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-27 at 10.28.15 AM.png

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
It's a nice looking snare, but from an engineering & aesthetic point of view, I personally regard pop rivets as a cop out. If you're going old school rolled sheet construction, use proper old school copper rivets.

steadypocket

Gold Member
My Van Kleef magnesium snare is riveted and sounds amazing. Holding up just fine two years in. Not sure what kind of rivets but aesthetically the VK looks much cleaner.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Those are not rivets, they are Allen screws. Zoom in close and you can see the hexagon. Looking at the inside of the drum you can see the nuts, they look like nylocks.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I don’t understand the point of putting wood over copper. They both sound good on their own. No way they sound better stuck together.

Big Stu

Paul Warry (metro drums) is probably the best drum maker in Australia. His drums are simply beautiful and prized.. I can't remember any of his drums (used) coming up for sale. The snares I heard were crisp, clean and full of body.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I have a 13x 6.5 Jarrah stave drum made by Metro to my spec’s ten years ago. Beautufully made and great sounding drum. I think of Metro as exotic Australian wood drums, not metal, but he has expanded the range lately.
Metro (Paul) has made also made wooden shells for Sleishman, G Way and Drumeo.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm not so sure the seam matters much. I've played wonderful sounding welded drums. Sure everyone wants a seamless shell, but I really don't think it makes much of a sonic difference.