Audition

yesdog

Silver Member
I have no clue how this happened. I have an audition with a Rush tribute band called Animation. The cool thing is they also play classic rock to current stuff as well. This band plays some pretty big shows, looks like it can be a lot of fun, I have a question for you drummers. Would you learn the live version of the songs or the studio version? With Rush I find it easier to learn the live version, because you can here what Mr Peart is playing more clearly. I have never been into the tribute thing but this seems like a challenge to play Rush.
This band plays other stuff as well. The other question, I have done plenty of auditions in my life,but never for a tribute band. Does anyone play in a tribute band and what do they look for other than playing the songs note for note. What can I do to stand out? They are auditioning a lot of drummers and have five songs pre picked for the drummers to learn. If don't get the gig its not the end of the world. Any suggestions/advice would be helpful.

braincramp

Gold Member
I would think for the most part tribute or even cover bands try to play as close to the studio version of the song as possible.. I would focus on that rather then any live version..good luck.. A very important thing for a tribute band beside the obviuos one of being able to play the music note for note is physical resemblence.. try to look the part as best you can...if I really wanted the gig I would spend time looking at pics old and new.. put together an outfit..maybe even consider a wig if you wanted to do a young Neil, however looking at your profile pic you could probably pull off the short hair current version of him... you could always wear a maple leaf hockey jersey... I know it sounds like I'm joking but if 3 guys show up and all 3 have the chops but only 1 really looks the part......again good luck!

MLdrum

I think you could really impress them if you learned both live and studio versions of at least some of the songs (all of them, if you've got the time). Considering the complexity on a lot of their songs, I don't think Rush played their songs very different live according to the studio one. Maybe some different fills here and there, but I think that's about it.

And you could also try to learn the songs so well that you can actually play around with them a bit. That will help you feel comfortable with the songs (at least it does to me)

PreppieNerd

Silver Member
After getting the parts down, think about style. How cool would it be if you could pull out a completely original, but very much neil-esque solo? Think about mimicking the way he plays, not just what he plays. Cool opportunity

alparrott

Platinum Member
Know both, and as you work on the song decide amongst you what arrangement you will play. Anyone who shows up to watch a Rush tribute band will know both arrangements, most likely. Also consider all the studio trickery that goes into the album cuts that can be very difficult to do unless you have a similar rack of electronic effects, at least a foot pedal and an Octopad or something similar.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Doggie, did the group say anything about what they want the kit to look like? I've seen Beatles tribute bands using Luddies with a pearl oyster wrap, but that's obviously easier than mimicking a kit that would be the price of a house.

Good luck with it!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Scott, can't really offer anything by way of advice. You have the skills to nail this, & I wish you a ton of luck on the day.