Audition tonight, original rock band, expectations?

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Can you guys help me out here. I have an audition with a band tonight that will be doing original rock music. What should I expect to be able to accomplish in terms of drum parts for their music since I have not heard it yet? They have some music written but could not get me a recording before I go tonight. Would a band expect to just be able to get a feel for my style of drumming? Would they expect me to be able to come up with solid tracks on the spot?

My plan is to do my best to feel the song, try a at least a couple beats for the groove and locations for fills, but not try to put forth anything real complicated the first night. Does this sound reasonable?

braincramp

Gold Member
Yeah, sound reasonable.. also sounds like a tough spot without hearing anything from them.. my advise is try to get as close to the bass player and key on him.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Thanks BC. Is it also reasonable to ask them to run through it without me first? Sorry should have asked that in the original post. This is also my first time auditioning in a couple decades!

braincramp

Gold Member
Relax..your not the first..I got out of it due to shift work for 11 years then jumped back in in my early 40's.. to me playing a club with a good crowd is my fountain of youth. Good Luck!

AndyMC

Your expectations should depend on what situation you are in, but it sounds like a casual thing. Go in ready to drop some money beats or similar such common beats, but I also like to show a little flash, have an awesome beat or two and a couple solid and impressive fills. Don't play anything to impress drummers or things you have been working on, use old standbys. Asking to hear them play it through a bit is totally acceptable so you know where the changes are.

Also if you really want the gig be a nice guy that they would want to work with, this can often get you the part over someone more technically skilled.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Thanks BC.

Andy great advice about being a nice guy. Since they are doing original music I plan on focusing a lot on working together, understanding what they are trying to do, and listening to their comments a lot. Fortunately they do not have a plan to quickly get to playing out so since I am still getting my chops back showing I am easy to work with and respect what they are trying to do and can collaborate will be things I need to emphasize.

K.Howden

Thanks BC. Is it also reasonable to ask them to run through it without me first?
In my opinion this is what any musician auditioning for any band should do anyway, especially if they haven't heard the music beforehand. Demonstrating you actually want to and can use your ears and listen will show them you're serious about it and will pay off.

I'm sure you'll do brilliantly mate, best of luck! :)

Kev

Last edited:

gaz farrimond

+1 ^

I'd also write out some form of chart/crib sheet whilst they are running through the tracks, and ask about anything you aren't sure about.

From experience, I got a dep gig (The bands drummer had broken his hand) from an audition where I only ran through two tracks because we ran out of time. But because the band could see that I was taking them & their music seriously, and I gave them the impression of confidence in my ability when I did play along to my charts, I stood in for 10 weeks until their drummer was fit again.

From speaking to other non-drummer musicians, I've noticed that when it comes to a drummer, the guy who usually gets the gig is the one who is prepared & willing to listen and shows an interest, rather than the guy who walks in and nails Moby Dick as a warm up. (Led Zep tributes may be an exception to this)

Good luck, and enjoy it. Whatever the outcome, just have fun.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
What everyone else said-- keep it simple, play time, project good energy, watch the others, and listen. Play with authority, but follow like crazy. I wouldn't worry about trying to impress them with a display of chops-- if you must, maybe pick one spot to do that, and make it short. Good luck!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Listen 10x more than you speak. Evaluate if you like the music. Evaluate if you can do the music. Evaluate the others, are they accomplished? Are they your type of people? Would you like this gig? Let your eyes and ears guide you. If there ever was a time to listen, this is it. Be as honest as you can with yourself and the others.

It's like trying on new clothes, sometimes they just don't fit, sometimes it's a great fit, and everything in between. You are auditioning them too, only you keep that to yourself.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Really great stuff guys! I already packed my notation book so I planned on capturing the basics of the songs to help me get the changes right. I also really agree with the listening part, not just to music but what they say about their music and what they want from a drummer.

I am anxious to get back into a band but I definately want what I want and not to just join any band that will take me so the advice on evaluating them is right on too. Planned on that. That is why this original gig sounds enticing to me. The first band I played in was a top 40/lounge band that was a good start but I am past doing music or genres I am not really interested in.

Everyone has been very helpful here. I'll let you know how it goes. You guys are great!

Otto

Platinum Member
Remember that you are auditioning the band as much as they are auditioning you...helps with the relaxation thing.

braincramp

Gold Member
just for the fun of it check out Youtube it has some audition vids for replacing Portney in Dream Theater..check them out and you will see guys at the top of this profession still get antsy and nervous for an audition..

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Well things went pretty well I think. We only went over two songs but made a good enough impression to continue. The things that helped me were listening, asking questions, playing aggressive in terms of timing but basic in what I played, trying different patterns and fills. We jumped into it so quickly I really did not have a chance to chart anything. They're sending me a recording to work with. I was able to pick up on a few key transitions and give them something they liked to support it. So thanks for all your advice and support. It helped. I feel like a drummer again!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sounds like it went as good as can be expected. Did you like the songs? Everyone is on their best behavior in the beginning so it's hard to evaluate the others totally, but does it seem like a good fit personality-wise?

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Sounds like it went as good as can be expected. Did you like the songs? Everyone is on their best behavior in the beginning so it's hard to evaluate the others totally, but does it seem like a good fit personality-wise?
Sorry it took so long to respond, holidays interrupted things. Personality wise it seems like a good fit. Older guys that have played various music in varuous situations. It is really hard ot tell about the music match yet. We only went over a coupe songs. For a project like this it wil not only be aout playing but wrting a drum part they like and feel fit. That is the part tat has me most interested.