Audition Question

AZStickman

I was contacted by a local band yesterday for an audition. They are currently signed with Tate Music Group (TMG). Have any of you worked with this label before? Any experience or advice you could share is appreciated......... Terry

I wish I could help you with an answer to your question, but I can't. Sorry.

But, on the other hand... GOOD LUCK at the audition!!

I would do some internet searching to see what you come up with. I'd also try and find a list of current and previous artists on their roster and ask them what their experience has been. And most importantly and I can not stress this enough...IF you are hired by the band I would make sure you have your own lawyer who is experienced in entertainment,especially music contracts give the contract a thorough inspection before you sign anything!

Good luck, hope it all works out for you!

I would do some internet searching to see what you come up with. I'd also try and find a list of current and previous artists on their roster and ask them what their experience has been.

Yep, check them out, and more important than asking other signed artists about their experience, see if you've even heard of them. That will let you know how well the "label" is doing their job.

Bermuda

Thanks guys...... I did do the internet search for reviews and only turned up one forum with comments. They were negative but a TMG rep posted stating that only one side of the story was being presented and left contact info for anyone interested in hearing the whole story. The thread stopped there.

The TMG site seems to have a ton of no name acts and the venues they are playing aren't very impressive mainly churches and local bars. It appears their standards for signing aren't very high. The songs the group I was contacted by have recorded are interesting musically but the lead vocals are extremely pitchy.

I have a lot of live experience playing in bands but haven't been in one for about 6 years. I do practice almost every day to keep sharp and well.... I just love to play. I have worked up 4 of this groups 10 songs and may go to the audition just for practice. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for the responses...... Terry

A "label" whose bands are playing churches? Doesn't sound like a label at all, maybe just someone and his buddy getting some gigs for some bands, and taking a cut. Not unheard of at more professional levels, but you can play churches and bars on your own without giving up a "finder's" fee.

Bermuda

I agree Bermuda here's a link to their site..... http://www.tatemusicgroup.com/index.php looks like a family run operation. The more I look the more I think this is a fancy scam to seperate aspiring musicians from their money, I believe I will probably just start looking for another gig.... Terry

Thanks for the link, looks like their big name is Roy Clark, and they're proud of their brush with Kenny Rogers. Apart from that... I dunno. Doesn't look like they've brought any bands from obscurity to fame.

Bermuda

Back