Audio Interface

TheDrumster

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced audio interface? I need at least 10 channels.

It's mainly to record my band's rehearsals, but I will also be making demo tapes to get gigs.

Thanks!

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
You can get quality, number of preamps or inexpensive. Pick any two.

Presonus 8-channel would be my first shout. Tascam make very good interfaces. Behringer I would avoid. Behringer look promising (and their quality is better than it was) but they're fundamentally a budget make and have noisy preamps.

TheDrumster

I've also heard good things about the Zoom R16. However, you can only record 8 tracks simultaneously.

Anyone have experience with it? The advantage is everything can be done on board for quick demos, as well as uploading to a computer for use with a DAW.

ncc

Silver Member
I have a Focusrite Sapphire Pro40 (firewire) that allows me to get the ADAT out of a board, as well as a Tascam US1800 (usb). Both work great individually.

Bobrush

10 separate inputs is a lot. If you got a separate mixer to mix down a few tracks (e.g. mix your drums down to two), that would give you a lot more options. There are plenty of 8 channel interfaces. However, if you absolutely need 10, Presonus makes 16 channel mixer/interfaces around $2000: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLM164AI

Or you can save some money by buying two of the Presonus Firestudio interfaces (I think they are about $400 each). Presonus lets you daisy-chain multiple firewire interfaces together. According to this page you can get up to 52 channels: http://www.presonus.com/products/firestudio-project
Note that this works for firewire only, NOT USB. I'm not sure if other manufacturers support the firewire daisy-chain or not, but I am pretty sure there is a limitation of USB that absolutely will not allow it.

TheDrumster

10 separate inputs is a lot. If you got a separate mixer to mix down a few tracks (e.g. mix your drums down to two), that would give you a lot more options. There are plenty of 8 channel interfaces. However, if you absolutely need 10, Presonus makes 16 channel mixer/interfaces around $2000: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLM164AI

Or you can save some money by buying two of the Presonus Firestudio interfaces (I think they are about $400 each). Presonus lets you daisy-chain multiple firewire interfaces together. According to this page you can get up to 52 channels: http://www.presonus.com/products/firestudio-project
Note that this works for firewire only, NOT USB. I'm not sure if other manufacturers support the firewire daisy-chain or not, but I am pretty sure there is a limitation of USB that absolutely will not allow it.
Any suggestions on a mixer for my drums?

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
Do you need a mixer?

I know Bo Eder swears by the Zoom R16. I can see its advantages.

What is your precise budget? That really helps narrow down the field.

TheDrumster

Do you need a mixer?

I know Bo Eder swears by the Zoom R16. I can see its advantages.

What is your precise budget? That really helps narrow down the field.
I'm strongly considering the Zoom R16 route. Problem is we can only record 8 simultaneous tracts. We want to record as we play without adding tracks later. Here's what we have.

Guitar 1
Guitar 2
Bass
Keys
Vocal 1
Vocal 2
Drums

I was hoping to use 4 mics (and 4 channels). Keys, and both vocals go through the PA.

What do people do in this situation?

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I'm strongly considering the Zoom R16 route. Problem is we can only record 8 simultaneous tracts. We want to record as we play without adding tracks later. Here's what we have.

Guitar 1
Guitar 2
Bass
Keys
Vocal 1
Vocal 2
Drums

I was hoping to use 4 mics (and 4 channels). Keys, and both vocals go through the PA.

What do people do in this situation?
Yeah, in that case you could run your drums into a little mixer and create a submix that goes to the last 2 recording tracks you have as a stereo mix. You can't adjust the volume of each drum mic separately after recording, which kinda sucks. However, mess around with volume and get it "good enough" and it will work fine for recording rehearsals and whatnot.

I recently got the Scarlett 8 channel interface and it's fantastic! I haven't recorded the entire band with it yet, though.