Attention Tune-Bot Owners!

I can just touch on this a bit. During a tracking session last week I just thought that maybe the Tune Bot would be of some use as an engineering tool. What I did was to use the Tune Bot to find the approximate frequency of each drum in the kit to be able to more or less pinpoint the center equalization and then transfer this information to the EQ pots on the board. I've always done this by ear, but this takes some of the guess work out of the equation. All I had to do then was adjust the "Q", or bandwidth,and the gain or reduction of the equalized frequency. I never over equalize anything, but sometimes 2 or 3 decibels of correction is all that is needed, especially when you're able to hone in on the frequency within 5 or 6 cycles of the source. It only took a couple of minutes to hit each drum and jot down the readings for reference.

It's not really earth shattering, but I'm trying to look at both pros and cons in some alternate uses.

Dennis

Interesting.

And goes to what I said in another thread: what will make or break this product is if recording studios and roadies find it useful.

I'm having trouble understanding something. If I want to tune my kit to thirds then i should be able to follow the chart supplied with the Tune-Bot but it's not making sense to me. I understand the top set of Notes, C E G B D F A C, but below that I cannot follow the logic in terms of thirds.

I'm just learning this stuff so a Google search gave me good explanation of thirds. One is, "Whenever two notes are separated by a distance of two whole steps (or four half steps), it is called an interval of a major third." The other is, "Whenever two notes are separated by a distance of one and one-half steps (or three half steps), it is called an interval of a minor third."

For example, the second line down starting with C# the next Note is F but if a major third is a separation of two whole steps and a minor third is a separation of one and a half steps then how could going from C# to F be a third if it's separated by two and half steps?

With these two examples in mind I try to follow the Thirds Chart but it doesn't 'seem' to conform to the the two rules above. Can you guys take a look at that chart and see if it makes sense to you?

If we write out the notes it's easier to understand.

A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# (A etc)

If you jump 3 half-steps it's a minor third eg A to C
If you jump 4 half-steps it's a major third eg A to C#

Confusion will arise as there is no B# and no E#, or to be totally correct B# = C and E# = F

Davo

If we write out the notes it's easier to understand.

A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# (A etc)

If you jump 3 half-steps it's a minor third eg A to C
If you jump 4 half-steps it's a major third eg A to C#

Confusion will arise as there is no B# and no E#, or to be totally correct B# = C and E# = F

Davo

Thank you Davo. See ya over at ML! :)

I am an extremely melodic drummer, and I have to say no the tunebot concept. First, I have 20 toms I have to tune quickly to a pitch before a show or clinic. I don't have time to check every lug. I also know that placing a finger or whatever at the center of the head creates harmonics becoming the main tone, much like barely touching a guitar string. I don't want to tune to the harmonics. I use a lot of single head toms in my set (a dozen roto toms, 4 homemade picollo toms) and playing the harmonics is part of my creativity. Trying to tune a drum while the harmonics are present is simply beyond my comprehension.
I take a small piano with me to tune before every show, usually can get it pretty close in less than 20 minutes. A tunebot, even if working perfectly, would lengthen my tuning time by at at least another 20 minutes. For $140 list I could get a smaller piano than what I have now to create clean pitches to tune the drums.

For example, the second line down starting with C# the next Note is F but if a major third is a separation of two whole steps and a minor third is a separation of one and a half steps then how could going from C# to F be a third if it's separated by two and half steps?
C D D# E F
Four half steps: C# to D, D to D#, D# to E, E to F
And two half steps equals one whole step

I am an extremely melodic drummer, and I have to say no the tunebot concept. First, I have 20 toms I have to tune quickly to a pitch before a show or clinic. I don't have time to check every lug.
Admittedly, the jargon at hand may be a bit limiting and sometimes confusing, as the phrase "tune a drum" to refer to both 1) The process of equalizing the pitch around one head of the drum, and 2) Selecting a pleasing overall sound for drum as a whole factoring in shell tone and pitch of all heads on the drum. Sounds like you're generally concerned with the latter, not the former,
I don't want to tune to the harmonics.
I believe it has been said both in this thread and in tunebot marketing that you can simply hit the drum in the center of the head to read the fundamental pitch rather than a harmonic.
I take a small piano with me to tune before every show, usually can get it pretty close in less than 20 minutes. A tunebot, even if working perfectly, would lengthen my tuning time by at at least another 20 minutes. For $140 list I could get a smaller piano than what I have now to create clean pitches to tune the drums.
I have a chromatic tuner app, Cleartune, for my iPhone which cost a few bucks, and has a very handy pitch generator, is much smaller than any piano. :]

I don't mean to endorse the tunebot, or even suggest you should try, let alone buy one. You have a process that works for you, so by all means stick with that. But I think your criticisms are a little unfair. Not sure how you can say it would double the time you spend tuning before a show when you don't have one in hand. Given that the highly-skeptical audiotech (whom I respect a lot for giving it a fair evaluation rather than a quick dismissal) has found some value in using it to record drum fundamental pitches for EQ purposes, it should also be usable for your purpose of reading and verifying melodic intervals between concert-tuned drums. It's smaller than a piano as well.

Though it stands that perhaps the biggest weakness of the device is that it can't really be better than a well tuned ear. Similar to, perhaps.

Last edited:
I am an extremely melodic drummer, and I have to say no the tunebot concept. First, I have 20 toms I have to tune quickly to a pitch before a show or clinic. I don't have time to check every lug. I also know that placing a finger or whatever at the center of the head creates harmonics becoming the main tone, much like barely touching a guitar string. I don't want to tune to the harmonics. I use a lot of single head toms in my set (a dozen roto toms, 4 homemade picollo toms) and playing the harmonics is part of my creativity. Trying to tune a drum while the harmonics are present is simply beyond my comprehension.
I just clip it on, and smack right in the middle of the head for the fundamental pitch. However - I can see though how long it would take to tune 160 or so Tom lugs!

I used to tune to a keyboard, and almost bought a small one to take with me. Luckily, I just clip it to the rim and tap around the lugs first, make any minute adjustments and then hit the middle of the head for a final check on the fundamental pitch. Works pretty quick for me since my tension rods are locked down so they don't loosen. I try to check the tuning each day on them anyways. ($99 list price @ GC)

This device probably isn't going to replace the tuning skills that experienced tuners have developed over years of practice. I don't think any device can replace the human ear. Kinda like spending years on the chain pedal, then trying direct drive. We thrive best with what is most natural or comfortable to us. I'm looking forward to the day I sell my TB because I didn't need it anymore. Won't be for a while though...

So is this worth buying for someone who has no experience tuning drums?

Seems like for people who have tuned for years, it might not be.

If you have no experience whatsoever it might help but it'll take you awhile, I think it is best suited for those with some tuning experience but who aren't happy with their exact tone, or the repeat-ability of their tuning setup. I can get a head in tune with itself and get the drum sounding good on my own, but with this the intervals between each head and each tom are much closer to perfect and sound way better when using the TB. Like all tuning aids it has its drawbacks compared to just being able to tune perfectly by ear, and I rarely use it mid-gig because its slower than just going by ear, but it is more perfect than my ear as well as scientific so I feel It is a good way to train yourself from ok tuning by ear to perfect.

I'm surprised how many distractors there are here. Clearly if the device is tricky to use or is quirky that's one thing. But it is a new bit of technology available at a reasonable price.

There is a huge swathe of folk who cannot, who don't bother or who struggle (me) to tune drums. If this device enables them to find some tunings that they like and can repeat with new heads then it's got real value. If it enables folks on fora like this to say my Tama Silverstar 10" tom really sings at 240 top and 220 bottom. Then others can try and replicate it.

If you don't need any help then you don't need the device. There's no need to diss it. Really puzzled by the negativity.

Cheers
Davo

I have the TB and use it to fine tune after using my DD to get things close.

F

So is this worth buying for someone who has no experience tuning drums?

Seems like for people who have tuned for years, it might not be.

Hi Mike.

In my opinion this device is perfect for someone with no experience, little experience, poor tuning skills or great tuning skills that want to fine tune their drums.

I would love to have enough experience to just pick up a drum and quickly tune it perfectly using a drum key and my ears. I admire those that can, but I can't. I don't have the experience or skills 'yet'. So here's a device that allows me to physically see what my ears are 'thinking' they hear. Contrary to a previous slow and frustrating experience, I've learned more and faster about tuning and have better tactile and hearing skills than ever before thanks to this device.

Bottom line, it works, it's been fun to use and my kit now sounds better than it ever has. Don't be intimidated by some that may feel 'your not paying your dues man!' or 'all tuning devices are crap!'. Buy it, try it out, follow the instructions and tips in this thread, and then, if you don't like it, return it, no harm no foul and you can then legitimately bad mouth it if you want, but I honestly don't think you'll feel that way.

When does it become available in Europe?

Maybe the Tune-Bot employee knows better, but, I ordered one from a UK store last month, because, living in The Netherlands, I couldn't find another store around here I could (pre-)order it from. It was supposed to arrive about now but apparently there is a 3 weeks delay. I guess the USA is supplied first, then the rest of the world.

I would love to have enough experience to just pick up a drum and quickly tune it perfectly using a drum key and my ears. I admire those that can, but I can't. I don't have the experience or skills 'yet'.

I'm in the same boat. I've been playing for 4 years and tuning has always been a hassle. I can get a head in tune pretty OK but knowing what note to tune all those heads to puzzles me. I've tried an Evans torque key and a Tama Tension Watch (I couldn't get a Drum Dial over here) but not much improvement. It seems that tuning while tapping a drum head for a couple of minutes makes me tone death or something. So, I thought I'd give that Tune-Bot a try.

But because of the delay I decided this afternoon to try that tuning to notes route, using a keyboard as a reference and wearing ear-plugs to dampen the sound and avoid hearing-fatigue. Actually, that worked pretty well, best tuning I ever did. I always felt like I was missing a reference note I should tune to.
I used the notes I found here somewhere: 8" = 4A, 10" = 4E, 12" = 3B, 14" = 3F#, 16" = 3C# and the snare was 4G.

I'm still curious if my tuning skills will getter and faster when I get my Tune-Bot.

There's only one supplier in the UK = absolutemusic.com

I don't know about the rest of Europe.

However, they have sold out their first batch of 50 and are waiting, like the rest of the world, for more to come through.

Rarer than petrol at the moment!

Davo

There's only one supplier in the UK = absolutemusic.com

I don't know about the rest of Europe.

However, they have sold out their first batch of 50 and are waiting, like the rest of the world, for more to come through.

Rarer than petrol at the moment!

Davo

Yeah, right, that's the one where I ordered. I'm supposed to get one of the first batch.

I even sent Thomann.de an email about it. They replied: we won't stock them because they're not in demand. Wrong decision if you ask me.

rockem music said the same - once they're more established they might stock them.

TB is now in the Musician's Friend - April 2012 Hardcover Catalog. Haven't found it online yet.

I imagine you can call them to hunt it down. It's on page 122, middle of page. $99

Happy Tuning!

Back