Attention Tune-Bot Owners!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The app is cool but there are 2 things I don't like:
- the iPhone doesn't clip to the rim so I can use one hand for striking and the other to make adjustments with a drum key
- after a while the screensaver starts working and then it locks. You have to keep tapping the screen to keep it 'awake'.
On the phone in Settings, General, Auto-Lock, set it to never. Then put it back when you are finsihed tuning.

M

moretulife

Yes, I can change the iPhone screensaver settings but I like it how it is now. I thought apps could have a setting not to let the screensaver kick in, like navigation apps.

I'll give the lighter tap a try.
We are missing something here. I use a navigation app, and stays on while it is navigating, just like my Drum Tuner app does. My iPhone is set for 1 minute in the auto lock setting. You say you have a screensaver. Is this a special app, or are you just talking about your phone going black in auto lock?

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
For me I tune by ear and then fine tune with the tune bot. I use it on a regular basis. Normally I just use it once before a set or gig. Once my drums are dialed in beyond what my ears can do I can then equally move all the lugs to a higher or lower tension setting to get exactly where I want. So for me half science and half feel.

What I found is that even with the filter the reso head affects the reading when I am tuning on my setup kit. I then tighten or loosen any given reso head lug with good results.

Like others have said it works best when you mute the reso head ( I use my stool) and equally not when other instruments are making a lot of noise. Anyways I find with the Sonor lugs tune safe I am only ever making very small adjustments.

As others have mentioned you also have to hit, tap or play the head at the same points and with the same force to keep the readings consistent.

I really don't follow the chart that comes with the tune bot at all. Again I think if you know how to tune its a great tool for tine tuning and to repeat settings your ear likes.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Well, let me / us know. I see what you mean by that last comment. I don't think the device is equally useful for everyone. If you already can tune good by ear then you probably can tune faster without it. Having read some of your posts (and seen some of your excellent drums), I think that could apply to you.

In the past I lost track which note to tune to while tapping around a drumhead. The first time I tested the tune-bot, I already had the lugs pretty close without it. It helped me to tune the batter and reso heads in tune and get good sounding intervals between the toms.

Providing you get good readings, it also helps you learn to listen to small pitch differences, hearing a tone and seeing which pitch it is at. Nowadays, I tune the heads first without it and then use the tune-bot to check if the overall (fundamental) note of the tom is where I want it.

Edit: IMO, the more you use it, the less you need it.
All good stuff Eric. It's the apparent inability to fine tune/recognise slight pitch variations that bugs me. I'm not a great tuner, I'm competent, no more than that. I can see a use for this device for storing pitches that I like in relation to a particular kit. As I'm having to deal with multiple kits, & in changing room situations, that's an advantage for me. I was also hoping to use it as a means of advising customers of tuning options. Early days with this device, so I'm hoping my initial experience isn't representative of it's total value. I'll report back :)

M

moretulife

For me these devices just give you that peace of mind that the drum is where it is supposed to be. A way to duplicate your settings each time. You still have to know how to tune, to get the drum to the point that the tuners will work properly. It is like having a second opinion with you of how your drum tuning is.

A

audiotech

Andy and Dennis,

I thought I would jump in here, having done some videos about the tune-bot.

My experience is that it works best when you place the drum on a towel (or thrown or bed) to completely muffle the opposite head and be in a room with not too much resonance. I'm suspecting that other drums or resonating sounds can produce inaccurate readings.

It does take some time to get used to it and have it work for you. As someone said: you have to strike with the same force and at the same spot every time or the readings will vary.
I always have a soft cloth between the table top and the drum to muffle the opposite head when I'm tuning drums. Like Andy, I have a limited time when performing these tasks and I get much quicker and more accurate and consistent results tuning by ear. I actually just use the Tune Bot that I have as a ball park triggered frequency counter for drums to get an idea where to adjust the parametric EQ on the board. In this respect it doesn't have to come down to one or two hertz difference as it does when trying to get a head in tune with itself. Having tried and compared three of these units, unit to unit accuracy is a joke.

Dennis

Last edited:

eric_B

We are missing something here. I use a navigation app, and stays on while it is navigating, just like my Drum Tuner app does. My iPhone is set for 1 minute in the auto lock setting. You say you have a screensaver. Is this a special app, or are you just talking about your phone going black in auto lock?
No app, I just have the standard 1 minute setting set. The navigation app temporarily disables the screensaver, the iDrumTune app doesn't.

eric_B

I always have a soft cloth between the table top and the drum to muffle the opposite head when I'm tuning drums. Like Andy, I have a limited time when performing these tasks and I get much quicker and more accurate results tuning by ear.
I agree tuning by ear is the fastest way to tune, using tools costs time.

For me these devices just give you that peace of mind that the drum is where it is supposed to be. A way to duplicate your settings each time. You still have to know how to tune, to get the drum to the point that the tuners will work properly. It is like having a second opinion with you of how your drum tuning is.
+1

Having tried and compared three of these units, unit to unit accuracy is a joke.
That could be, I have only tried one. I would like to try more to compare.
But, to me it is not very important. As long as I get constant readings with my device, although, say, 2 hz too high or low everytime, it still helps me tune to the tone I want.

I can understand this being an issue for you and other people. I would think Overtone Labs have tested more than 1 device before putting it on the market so they could comment on this.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I think the coated ambassador sounds by far the best
I'd agree with that, although I thought the tuning in all examples was a little low so as to bring the best out of the drum Certainly some "flappy" stuff going on with the reso's. Although a brief appearance, I thought the Gretsch tom presented a bit more tone.

Nice job though :) I know it takes quite some work to put such comparisons together, & you'll never please everyone.

How did you record this?

eric_B

Hey Andy,

Thanks for your feedback. I get your point. It also depends what you expect from your drums. Maybe I prefer a bit lower tuning than the optimal resonance and tone of my drums. I'm still experimenting with tuning though, it's already a lot better than what it used to be.

I'm not sure if the reso head was too low, I had the batter around a 3D# note and the resonant around 3G. As far as I know, the heads were in tune with themselves each time I mounted the tom. But later I also heard some recordings which sounded like the tuning was a bit off. A downside of using new heads, best to let them stretch overnight with higher tension.

The recording was done with the Shure mic as in the video, 2 Shure overheads and also a condensor mic about 1,5 mtr in front of the drumkit to get more room sound. Later the video and audio clips were synced.

Yeah, it takes quite some time to make these videos. Being in between bands at the moment I have some time so I can do some soundtests which I had in mind. And then it's not much more trouble to put them on YT so they may be useful to others as well.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Andy,

Thanks for your feedback. I get your point. It also depends what you expect from your drums. Maybe I prefer a bit lower tuning than the optimal resonance and tone of my drums. I'm still experimenting with tuning though, it's already a lot better than what it used to be.

I'm not sure if the reso head was too low, I had the batter around a 3D# note and the resonant around 3G. As far as I know, the heads were in tune with themselves each time I mounted the tom. But later I also heard some recordings which sounded like the tuning was a bit off. A downside of using new heads, best to let them stretch overnight with higher tension.

The recording was done with the Shure mic as in the video, 2 Shure overheads and also a condensor mic about 1,5 mtr in front of the drumkit to get more room sound. Later the video and audio clips were synced.

Yeah, it takes quite some time to make these videos. Being in between bands at the moment I have some time so I can do some soundtests which I had in mind. And then it's not much more trouble to put them on YT so they may be useful to others as well.
I think you did a great job there Eric, & yes, new heads do tend to wander a bit until they've settled for a few days + a bit of playing in.

Just for your interest, I'm about to put up a tom tuning test play video clip in the Drums section. Nowhere near as involved as yours. Just a bit of interest as I prepare for recording, & testing head combinations.

cp84

hi guys,

i'm a bit late to the party but thought i should chip in.

i had very good results with my little gretch catalina bob kit. the tunebot was deadly accurate and very consistent.

however i did have some problems tuning my ludwig supraphonic snare with the tunebot. I was getting inconsistent readings that were varying with each hit. i know that i'm hitting the drum very consistently and feel that is not the problem.

i'm guessing that my metal snare might be sending out more overtones and this confuses the device. i tune my drums on top of a cushion to dampen the overtones. however I then dampened the drum further by putting a piece of moongel in the middle of the drum. i found that the tune bot was then much more consistent for my metal snare.

might be worth trying if people are still having consistency issues? hope this helps.

Jgreg

hi guys,

i'm a bit late to the party but thought i should chip in.

i had very good results with my little gretch catalina bob kit. the tunebot was deadly accurate and very consistent.

however i did have some problems tuning my ludwig supraphonic snare with the tunebot. I was getting inconsistent readings that were varying with each hit. i know that i'm hitting the drum very consistently and feel that is not the problem.

i'm guessing that my metal snare might be sending out more overtones and this confuses the device. i tune my drums on top of a cushion to dampen the overtones. however I then dampened the drum further by putting a piece of moongel in the middle of the drum. i found that the tune bot was then much more consistent for my metal snare.

might be worth trying if people are still having consistency issues? hope this helps.
You might want to try a smaller piece of moongel.

TWerner

I spent almost 2 hours playing around with my son's new 10" Tom and a tune bot. It's an 8x10, and it came out of the box tuned to a B and sounded really good. Kudos to Dale's for tuning it before they shipped it.

Thinking I'd tune the 10 and 14 to a 5th, I decided to tune the 10 up to a C. I used the tune bot to bring each lug to 219 top and bottom, which gives me a fundamental of 131 or C. But at 219 the reso head has this really odd whistling overtone. It wah wahs like it is out of tune with something. The batter does this too, but much less. I thought C was a normal pitch for a 10" Tom, so any thoughts on this. Is this pitch maybe slightly out of tune with the shell?

To see if it went away, I did tune the Reso up to 230 but it rings even more at that frequency. I didn't keep going up, but will that odd overtone go away at higher pitches, or should I go back to B which had no ringing and sounded pretty nice, but based on the below, B is pretty low for a 10" Tom. If it matters, it's a starclassic performer tom with cast hoops. Oh, as an edit, I posted here mostly because the pitches given in the Tune Bot tuning guide: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http://www.tune-bot.com/tunebottuningguide.pdf&ei=4BS1UNvKAcK-0AGv5IDABw&usg=AFQjCNEDd12iUkJHKgDZQP6LVOOxsm-Igw are all higher than a B for a 10" Tom. Machine works well though :).

I spent a few hours today using the Notes for Drum Sizes Guide referenced earlier and these are the values I came up with.

10" (10x8)-- Batter Lugs/ Reso lugs-- Drum Hz-- Note
C3# /138.6Hz-- 220Hz/ 220Hz-- 135Hz-- C3#
D3 /146.8Hz-- 240Hz/ 240Hz-- 144Hz-- D3
D3# /155.6Hz-- 260Hz/ 260Hz-- 155Hz-- D3#
E3 /164.8Hz-- 270Hz/ 270Hz-- 162Hz-- E3
F3 /174.6Hz-- 285Hz/ 285Hz-- 170Hz-- F3

I used even numbers for the most part to make things easier/quicker as long as I arrived at the Note target. I'm sure the resulting Drum Hz could be further tuned to almost exactly the Notes Hz if wanted.

Now that I have these values figured it should be easy to quickly set up the kit in 3rd's, 4th's or whatever.

AndyMC

Every drum is its own beast, don't force a drum into a pitch it does not like. However you don't have to tune top and bottom the same try some pitch bends that usually helps.

PeteN

Silver Member
TWerner,

have you tried med resonance numbers for your 10" and 14" toms?

the 10" would be 209 for top lug and 242 for bottom lug (C 3rd octave)

the 14" would be 140 top lug and 161 bottom lug (F 2nd Octave)

maybe your 10" drum does not like those higher tuning numbers, or the heads are not seated correctly? You could also try reseating the heads?

TWerner

I haven't tuned the bottom up that much, but it makes that weird sound with the top head muted. It's a bit better when both heads are resonating, but I have funny hearing, and can still pick out those strange overtones. I'll tune the bottom head up to 242 and see if that helps.

TWerner,

have you tried med resonance numbers for your 10" and 14" toms?

the 10" would be 209 for top lug and 242 for bottom lug (C 3rd octave)

the 14" would be 140 top lug and 161 bottom lug (F 2nd Octave)

maybe your 10" drum does not like those higher tuning numbers, or the heads are not seated correctly? You could also try reseating the heads?

A

audiotech

I spent almost 2 hours playing around with my son's new 10" Tom and a tune bot. It's an 8x10, and it came out of the box tuned to a B and sounded really good. Kudos to Dale's for tuning it before they shipped it.

Thinking I'd tune the 10 and 14 to a 5th, I decided to tune the 10 up to a C. I used the tune bot to bring each lug to 219 top and bottom, which gives me a fundamental of 131 or C. But at 219 the reso head has this really odd whistling overtone. It wah wahs like it is out of tune with something. The batter does this too, but much less. I thought C was a normal pitch for a 10" Tom, so any thoughts on this. Is this pitch maybe slightly out of tune with the shell?

To see if it went away, I did tune the Reso up to 230 but it rings even more at that frequency. I didn't keep going up, but will that odd overtone go away at higher pitches, or should I go back to B which had no ringing and sounded pretty nice, but based on the below, B is pretty low for a 10" Tom. If it matters, it's a starclassic performer tom with cast hoops. Oh, as an edit, I posted here mostly because the pitches given in the Tune Bot tuning guide: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http://www.tune-bot.com/tunebottuningguide.pdf&ei=4BS1UNvKAcK-0AGv5IDABw&usg=AFQjCNEDd12iUkJHKgDZQP6LVOOxsm-Igw are all higher than a B for a 10" Tom. Machine works well though :).
This seems to me as being just too much work, lol.

Dennis