Attention all raw bell dry ride owners...

graysonator

I found one for around 250 brand new and I am considering pulling the plug.. What do y'all like about your RBDR whether it be an HH, AAX etc. And I'm looking at the AA model in particular

Last edited:
Right. I guess that’s what I meant

I found one for around 250 brand new and I am considering pulling the plug.. What do y'all like about your RBDR whether it be an HH, AAX etc. And I'm looking at the AA model in particular
I loved the hh, you can really lay into it and it just seems to give everything you can put in to it back. It never chokes no matter how hard you hit it with the tip. I will have one again, just a marvelous ride cymbal. Don’t look to crash it. And that bell.

I've owned a few Raw Bell Dry rides; a 22" HH, a 21" HH, and a 21" AA. Both my previous 22" and my current 21" HH's are great. Great stick definition, cutting bell that isn't clunky-sounding, and a darker tone that fills up the sound without getting in the way. The AA model, however, was surprisingly uninteresting. Without the "grit" the HH models have in their tone the AA model didn't have any real character to my ear.

If you're drawn to the cleaner, more machine-hammered sound of the AA I'd say that the AA Dry ride and the Zildjian Rezo ride are two similar cymbals that I've also owned that were much more interesting. The Rezo ride in particular is a really nice ride cymbal.

I've owned a few Raw Bell Dry rides; a 22" HH, a 21" HH, and a 21" AA. Both my previous 22" and my current 21" HH's are great. Great stick definition, cutting bell that isn't clunky-sounding, and a darker tone that fills up the sound without getting in the way. The AA model, however, was surprisingly uninteresting. Without the "grit" the HH models have in their tone the AA model didn't have any real character to my ear.

If you're drawn to the cleaner, more machine-hammered sound of the AA I'd say that the AA Dry ride and the Zildjian Rezo ride are two similar cymbals that I've also owned that were much more interesting. The Rezo ride in particular is a really nice ride cymbal.
It's all because of a budget thing too..

I picked up a used HH 21 RBDR, and consider it one of my best purchases. I agree with Winston Wolf's description, and will only add to me it has a very balanced tone that slips right into its role in the song. Always pleasing.

Reactions: TJK
If considering an AA is a budget concern, I'd also recommend being patient and watching the used market. Selling prices fluctuate quite a bit and there are some great deals to be found if you wait for the right one.

If considering an AA is a budget concern, I'd also recommend being patient and watching the used market. Selling prices fluctuate quite a bit and there are some great deals to be found if you wait for the right one.
Yea that is true, I’ll look around some more

Yea that is true, I’ll look around some more
I would definitely check out the used market. Five years ago I refreshed my cymbal collection for the first time in twenty five years, and rather inexpensively. I added some significant alternatives to the sound pallet. My Sabian 20" HH Stage Ride with raw bell is quite versatile, and got it in 2015 on the cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJK
In my experience, the 21" RBDR is quite similar across all lines, although of slightly different flavors. I used an AAX model for years, but ended up wanting a darker timbre and ended up with an HHX version. If, for example, I was playing a backline kit that had any kind of RBDR, I'd feel well enough at home because they're more similar than not, even though I might have my own preferences.

There's often a used smattering of any of the versions on the GC site for 200 USD or less.

I have a 21" AAX and a 21" HH model RBDR & I love them both. They both are similar but I find the AAX more versatile but I prefer the HH overall. Someone said check for used & I agree. Ride cymbals are very personal & therefore tend to be more readily available on Craigslist or other local listings in your area. Facebook market place is also great. Some of my favorite gear was acquired used & is much cheaper. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Good luck.

I was set for an HHX but found an AAX for cheap and in super shape, 21"... Finally, being super clean and definition sticky oriented, compared to my Zildjian A Custom Sweet Ride 23" that is a not more washy, they complement each other perfectly. I can crash the 21" AND the 23"...I was so much in love with both of them that I put the two at the same time on the kit and I can play them both all the time. The 21" is just on top of the floor tom and the 32" arrived just over , 1 to 1.5 inch max and I can ride from one to the other ...and I can use the two Bells easily...I think I'm will still want an HHX RBDR but I will have to check it to make sure they fit well together tough...

I have played both the AAX and AA Raw bell Dry Ride many times. To me they were not too different, and yes, I played them in the same place. Peace and goodwill.

I personally like their bash ride. They literally call it a crash ride version of their RBDR.

I prefer the Bash Ride so much that I traded in both the AA and AAX RBDR's to get one. The 21" AA Bash Ride is my favorite ride that I have ever played. Peace and goodwill.

I prefer the Bash Ride so much that I traded in both the AA and AAX RBDR's to get one. The 21" AA Bash Ride is my favorite ride that I have ever played. Peace and goodwill.
I pair my 21" with a 19" explosion fast crash and it covers almost everything I play. Add in a 20" Aero crash or a china and then the trashy side is covered. It really is a beautiful ride.

Maybe I would like the Bash Ride more if it were offered over other lines. As is, the one I have is fine, but certainly not a stand out. I like the bell and the bow much less than an RBDR. While the crashability is certainly superior, I don’t feel the overall character of the cymbal makes up for it. I’d rather use an Evolution or a Groove ride for that niche, or even an Omni.

I like it, it just seems that I always have a better tool around, so it doesn’t get any stand time. Mine will be on the chopping block the next time I do a purge.

Years back Sabian released that comparison video of the 4 RBDR available and still like the AA version the most. More subtle compared to the others. Having said that, I've never played one yet. Liked the Bash Ride as well, but i think the bell is a bit on the small side for my personal likings.

Back