Attack Drum Heads

The youtube channel Sounds Like a Drum has been demoing Attack drum heads. Being in Europe, I've only heard about Attack drum heads but I've never seen them around. Turns out there's only two shops in Europe that stocks them.

Turns out their prices are a bit more reasonable.

I'm thinking about the Proflex 1 or the Thin Skin 2 plys.

Anyone out there use them? How do they hold up compared to the other brands?

Anyone tried them on a Sonor kit?

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
They only recently popped up in Canada and their rep reached out to me and sent me some to try out so I can give you my honest thoughts. (Yes, another drum head rant from that guy that doesn't like UV2s). I tried out the Orbit 2, the Royal 1 with the built-in dampening ring, and their double ply head (Thinskin 2 I think?) on a Gretsch Brooklyn and my C&C custom maple kit. (They didn't have a Thin Skin 2 for my 18" floor tom and the replacement head they sent was bent and didn't fit on the tom at all so I never got to use it)

Overall I'd say that Attack heads have a unique sound to them since they use a proprietary film on their heads that gives it a "darker" tone to my ears. Also all the heads I tried had some internal dampening built in which also darkened the tone quite a bit and cut the sustain, which personally, I'm not a fan of. Had I been more involved in choosing the heads, I would have picked something different.

Thinskin 2 (clear) - These were for my toms and sat somewhere between a Remo pinstripe and emperor. These would probably work really well in a live setting but unfortunately I received all the heads before right before lockdown last March so I never got to play them out. These are great if you want a short sustain on your toms, like a pinstripe or hydraulic but I prefer the attack you get from undampened drums (when I can get away with it) so these are just not for me.

Orbit 2 - This head just LOOKS SO COOL. This bass drum head has two independent plies with the bottom ply having massive holes in it so it has some nice give to it but controls the sound nicely. This head sounded particularly good on the Gretsch bass drum (which had no pillow or muffling at all) and had some crazy punch on it. Unfortunately it didn't sound as good on my C&C bass drum (which has always been my best sounding kick, so this was a surprise) but I also had it tuned much more loose and with dampening as well so the head couldn't behave like it is supposed to. The only downside to this head is the cost.

Royal 1 - (Coated). This head and I did not get along very well. As I stated previously I don't care for pre-dampened heads and that's exactly what this thing was. Only it still had a super papery sound. I tried it on a 5" modern Supra, Tama Staclassic Bubinga and my C&C maple and it had that characteristic on all the drums and really only responded well at super high tunings, which sounded choked again because of the dampening. it's hard to describe but there was a bit of the feeling of their being something on top of the head like a thin towel. I also had a good 2-3" of coating wear out in the first month so this head left a really bad impression with me - although people complain about Remo and Evans' coating issues all the time, so I realize this is nothing new. This is also when I found out that other head didn't fit on my 18" floor tom and they refused to send me another one or refund me for anything, so that also soured my experience with this company.

So overall, most of the negatives in my experience were due to personal tastes and not the actual heads. Like every company it had its share of manufacturing flaws, but I'll give Attack this, they have a vibe. That vibe just isn't what I care for. Haha.

Hope that helps. Sorry for this stupid long post

-Jonathan

iCe

I've never seen them in Europe. Was searching for them years back after getting interested in them since Terry Bozzio uses them, but me as well haven't found a shop that sells them.

vyacheslav

I recently ordered a full set of Attack Royal Coated heads for a jazz/bop kit (their version of an Ambassador/G1). I should have them next week. I'm excited to try them. I used attack heads about 15 years ago, and I liked them. I noticed that they stayed in tune more consistently. I'll give a full report review when I have a chance to bang on them for a while.

Here is a link to their site with all of their models.

Also, just to provide some clarity, they make two versions of a 10 mil, single ply head, both available in Clear and Coated. The "Proflex" and the "Royal 1". The Proflex uses Attack's proprietary "Dynaflex" film as the main ingredient in the head, while the Royal 1 uses Dupont S Film as it's main ingredient. The same is true in the 2-ply versions, Thin Skin 2 uses Dynaflex, the Royal 2 uses Dupont S Film. I would guess that the Dupont film would sound a little more traditional than the Dynaflex.

Either way, I'm excited to get the heads and I'll give a full rundown for all of you.

Last edited:

vyacheslav

Royal 1 - (Coated). This head and I did not get along very well. As I stated previously I don't care for pre-dampened heads and that's exactly what this thing was. Only it still had a super papery sound. I tried it on a 5" modern Supra, Tama Staclassic Bubinga and my C&C maple and it had that characteristic on all the drums and really only responded well at super high tunings, which sounded choked again because of the dampening. it's hard to describe but there was a bit of the feeling of their being something on top of the head like a thin towel. I also had a good 2-3" of coating wear out in the first month so this head left a really bad impression with me - although people complain about Remo and Evans' coating issues all the time, so I realize this is nothing new.

Jonathan, did you perhaps have a 14" Royal 1 "No Overtone" model or perhaps a Royal 1 "Reverse Dot" Model? The regular Royal 1 heads are single ply, 10 mil heads without any onboard dampening, just like an Ambassador, G! etc. They are available in Clear and Coated along with some pre-muffled bass drum heads.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
I noticed that they stayed in tune more consistently.

Also, just to provide some clarity, they make two versions of a 10 mil, single ply head, both available in Clear and Coated. The "Proflex" and the "Royal 1". The Proflex uses Attack's proprietary "Dynaflex" film as the main ingredient in the head, while the Royal 1 uses Dupont S Film as it's main ingredient. The same is true in the 2-ply versions, Thin Skin 2 uses Dynaflex, the Royal 2 uses Dupont S Film. I would guess that the Dupont film would sound a little more traditional than the Dynaflex.
How would they keep in tune more easily? Isn't that more due to the hardware on the drum? (Like the lugs unscrewing as you hit rimshots around them etc).

Yep, you're right about the material. For whatever reason it didn't sound more "traditional" to my ears for whatever reason. I suspect it's something to do with their coating, but I never asked the rep. Haha.

Jonathan, did you perhaps have a 14" Royal 1 "No Overtone" model or perhaps a Royal 1 "Reverse Dot" Model? The regular Royal 1 heads are single ply, 10 mil heads without any onboard dampening, just like an Ambassador, G! etc. They are available in Clear and Coated along with some pre-muffled bass drum heads.
I believe it was the no overtone one. It's odd to explain, but it didn't sound like an Ambassador with dampening to me, it had a much thinner sound as I mentioned in my last post. This, and the dreadful life of the coating are my gripes with this head, not the ring, although I didn't care for it.

I hope I'm not coming across as negative towards Attack. They seem like a solid company and I wish them success, I just didn't like the heads I tried more than the Remo heads I typically use.

-Jonathan

They only recently popped up in Canada and their rep reached out to me and sent me some to try out so I can give you my honest thoughts. (Yes, another drum head rant from that guy that doesn't like UV2s). I tried out the Orbit 2, the Royal 1 with the built-in dampening ring, and their double ply head (Thinskin 2 I think?) on a Gretsch Brooklyn and my C&C custom maple kit. (They didn't have a Thin Skin 2 for my 18" floor tom and the replacement head they sent was bent and didn't fit on the tom at all so I never got to use it)

Overall I'd say that Attack heads have a unique sound to them since they use a proprietary film on their heads that gives it a "darker" tone to my ears. Also all the heads I tried had some internal dampening built in which also darkened the tone quite a bit and cut the sustain, which personally, I'm not a fan of. Had I been more involved in choosing the heads, I would have picked something different.

Thinskin 2 (clear) - These were for my toms and sat somewhere between a Remo pinstripe and emperor. These would probably work really well in a live setting but unfortunately I received all the heads before right before lockdown last March so I never got to play them out. These are great if you want a short sustain on your toms, like a pinstripe or hydraulic but I prefer the attack you get from undampened drums (when I can get away with it) so these are just not for me.

Orbit 2 - This head just LOOKS SO COOL. This bass drum head has two independent plies with the bottom ply having massive holes in it so it has some nice give to it but controls the sound nicely. This head sounded particularly good on the Gretsch bass drum (which had no pillow or muffling at all) and had some crazy punch on it. Unfortunately it didn't sound as good on my C&C bass drum (which has always been my best sounding kick, so this was a surprise) but I also had it tuned much more loose and with dampening as well so the head couldn't behave like it is supposed to. The only downside to this head is the cost.

Royal 1 - (Coated). This head and I did not get along very well. As I stated previously I don't care for pre-dampened heads and that's exactly what this thing was. Only it still had a super papery sound. I tried it on a 5" modern Supra, Tama Staclassic Bubinga and my C&C maple and it had that characteristic on all the drums and really only responded well at super high tunings, which sounded choked again because of the dampening. it's hard to describe but there was a bit of the feeling of their being something on top of the head like a thin towel. I also had a good 2-3" of coating wear out in the first month so this head left a really bad impression with me - although people complain about Remo and Evans' coating issues all the time, so I realize this is nothing new. This is also when I found out that other head didn't fit on my 18" floor tom and they refused to send me another one or refund me for anything, so that also soured my experience with this company.

So overall, most of the negatives in my experience were due to personal tastes and not the actual heads. Like every company it had its share of manufacturing flaws, but I'll give Attack this, they have a vibe. That vibe just isn't what I care for. Haha.

Hope that helps. Sorry for this stupid long post

-Jonathan

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm a bit unsure about trying them. They do seem to have their own vibe. I can only get them from Italy and they're are certainly cheaper than the other brands. But the cost of shippings closes the gap on the savings I'd make. Also, its a pain if you have to try to track them down every time you need a new head.

What was your issues with UV2? Had G2s on my old Sonor S Classix and they worked well. Had thought about trying the UV2 when I get my new kit. Is it all just hype?

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Thanks for the detailed response. I'm a bit unsure about trying them. They do seem to have their own vibe. I can only get them from Italy and they're are certainly cheaper than the other brands. But the cost of shippings closes the gap on the savings I'd make. Also, its a pain if you have to try to track them down every time you need a new head.

What was your issues with UV2? Had G2s on my old Sonor S Classix and they worked well. Had thought about trying the UV2 when I get my new kit. Is it all just hype?
For an in-depth review check out this post: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-thoughts-on-evans’-uv1-2-and-why-i’m-sticking-with-remo.173476/

Long story short, I found they lost their "life" pretty quickly. As in they lost their shape, and after a few months looked like I had been bashing them for years. Also, in Canada at least, they're more expensive than a standard 2-Ply head like the Emperor or G2. I don't think it's an Evans thing though, and just something to do with the treatment process exclusive to the UV series.

-Jonathan

For an in-depth review check out this post: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-thoughts-on-evans’-uv1-2-and-why-i’m-sticking-with-remo.173476/

Long story short, I found they lost their "life" pretty quickly. As in they lost their shape, and after a few months looked like I had been bashing them for years. Also, in Canada at least, they're more expensive than a standard 2-Ply head like the Emperor or G2. I don't think it's an Evans thing though, and just something to do with the treatment process exclusive to the UV series.

-Jonathan
I have heard some people not liking UV heads because there's a bit less life i them and an even more plastic sounding attack. They are quite expensive here too.

I know Remo seemed to be having real issues with their heads about five years ago. Has that improved?

With Attack drum heads, I'm also wondering about the Royal 2. Seems to be their version of an Emperor or G2 in that it uses the same type of mylar. And the other heads use a different material. It's hard to even find examples of people using them. The gold logo certainly sets them apart as a brand.

I have found that Remo tends to sound the best with Sonor kits. But they have gotten more expensive where I am. From what I've read the Royal series heads a very similar to Remo...but a better coating. Really do wish Remo would improve their coating. I remember playing them nearly ten years ago on an S Classix. I'm not a hard hitter and the coating was coming off in no time. I might be more willing to go along with that if they were much cheaper heads. But where I am they are quite a bit more than Evans (G2s but not UV) or Aquarian.

If anyone has thoughts on Royal 2 that would be good to hear (read).

Has anyone tried Code heads?

Jasta 11

I will say, i needed to buy cheap heads for the reso side of a 9 toms for my kit so i bought Attack heads on price alone. Single ply. When i got them, I almost felt bad that they would never be played on, they seem like good quality heads for the price.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I have used the old version clear one-ply Attack heads for tom resos and front bass heads, and they were fine for the job.

The heads in this new reboot seem very interesting, but availability was very spotty when I last looked.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
I have heard some people not liking UV heads because there's a bit less life i them and an even more plastic sounding attack. They are quite expensive here too.
Yep, that was me. haha.

With Attack drum heads, I'm also wondering about the Royal 2. Seems to be their version of an Emperor or G2 in that it uses the same type of mylar. And the other heads use a different material. It's hard to even find examples of people using them. The gold logo certainly sets them apart as a brand.
I almost have experience with it, as that was the replacement head they sent for my 18" floor tom when they were out of the Thin Skin2, but it was warped and didn't fit my drum at all.

-Jonathan