Attaching Bass Pedal

ChipJohns

How tight do you attach your pedal to your drum hoop. On my old set I used to have tight enough so that if you picked up the bass drum the pedal would daty attached. However, this messed up the hoop.

What does everyone else do about this..?

I attach it tightly enough so that it doesn't pivot on the hoop during playing. This can involve cranking it down a little, and yes, your hoop suffers. On the other hand, I have never seen a used set without scuffs on the hoop from the pedal. I'd say it's normal wear and tear. You can cut a piece of thin rubber and put under the clamp to help alleviate some of that, but I don't.

Cannon Drums a smaller manufacture of some really nice quality products has incorporated a small rubber plate on the bottom of the tightening plate. So no matter how hard you tighten your pedal the rubber absorbes the pressure and it leaves no indentation on your bass drum hoop. Here's a perfect example of a smaller company selling it's basic single pedal with this innovation for under $50. My DW 5000's series double kick doesn't incorporate this neat little feature. Sometimes you gotta wonder what these engineers and designers are thinking or more presciously not thinking about. This should be a standard feature in all pedals.

Sometimes you gotta wonder what these engineers and designers are thinking or more presciously not thinking about. This should be a standard feature in all pedals.

Really, this is such a simple thing that would increase the wantability of the pedal. I'd also like to see non special keys to change adjustments, easily rotatable beater heads (with 4 different surfaces, rubber, hard felt, bare wood, and something else like cork, or big fuzzy felt, or acrylic or something)
Instead they chrome plate them, number them and jack the price. Yea, that really helps me use the pedal easier

Back