At what age did you start drumming?

None of my kids or grandkids play anything. I've had drums and guitars around the house for years. Even bought my oldest grandson a bass and amp as his best friend is a killer guitarist. He noodled a little, but never did anything with it. My youngest grandson wants to be a singer, but has no interest in learning an instrument (not a great singer either).

At my church, I found out that the pastor's daughter wanted to learn to play drums. I GAVE her a complete starter set. She took lessons for a while with a very good teacher. He pretty much told her that she has learned a lot of basics, but now needs to get out and play with others. I cannot get her to play anywhere other than her basement. I've been hoping she would be my replacement in the worship band and let me retire!

I think kids today have too many distractions and too little self discipline to play music. If one DOES fall in love with it, they usually become very good.

At 15 with lessons for 6 months, then back to my keys (Instated then piano at 6...) as them and I was with needed a keys player...then restarted as a recreational guy one year ago, I wanted to take it seriously and take lessons but Covid then no teacher...will see later on...

47 years old. It was 2006. Borrowed a cheap kit so I could hang with my musician buddies who didn't have a drummer. Oof. That was a learning experience. Bought a nice used Stage Custom set a year later. Fast forward 13 years, and now I can hang with my buddies! But now we're older, don't get out much, moved away or even died. So, the kit sits in the basement, alone, unless I get the urge.

I think kids today have too many distractions and too little self discipline to play music. If one DOES fall in love with it, they usually become very good.
This and its all instant gratification nowadays...if it ain't at the nd of a click button they don't wanna know.

45... i'm 50 now and hate it.. getting old sucks :(
Wait till ur joints start to go. Im 61 and just noticed recently my left knee really hurts after 30 minutes of holding the hats down...even resorted to tightening the clutch to give it a rest which is far from ideal and feels very odd not having the foot on the pedal.

Well, I am 14 now, but I started playing at age 7 or so with a little Mendini kids drum set my parents bought me off amazon. That being said, I took a "break" for about 4 years due to less than ideal places to play drums. I began playing again right after I turned 13. This results in an interesting conversation that I have with people about my drumming because the first question every time is "how long have you been playing drums?" and I always have to reply "well... technically I started playing about 7 years ago but really I have only played for like 1 and a half."

Wait till ur joints start to go. Im 61 and just noticed recently my left knee really hurts after 30 minutes of holding the hats down...even resorted to tightening the clutch to give it a rest which is far from ideal and feels very odd not having the foot on the pedal.
I'm 57 and have been "predicting the weather" with my knees for a while now.....and don't let the cold get into them! Good Lord that hurts!
If you only play the hats closed, maybe you could fashion a wood block that you could jam under the pedal. This would allow you to rest your foot on the pedal, so the feel wouldn't be so odd.
The hats would be held closed by readjusting the clutch so that it it holds the hats closed.

In 1965 at 9 years old I had one of those slanted wooden practice pads with a square piece of rubber on it. At 10 I got a ZimGar snare and at 11 I got a Sears Drum Set with my initials on the bass drum.
Here I am in December 1966 with a drum in the playpen, almost one year old when I started playing haha! AC5F81D1-3FE3-4856-9C19-EA9EE1012F74.jpeg

Back