At what age did you start drumming?

Started snare lessons at 5. Started my first rock band at 10 with friends who had started early on guitar and piano. We used the first letter of our names as an acronym for our band name: CAN

When our friend Tom started on bass he joined and we became CANT.

The band gradually declined from there.

Started with snare at 7. Spent many many hours down in the basement with a rudiment book learning sticking, etc. Started playing a kit at 9 and sat in with a band at 10 (played Wipeout). Played for a traveling gospel group from 12 -14. Then country and rock groups from then on. Played in school band from the 6th grade on (marching, symphonic, and jazz bands).

I started playing when I was 9, took a couple of years of lessons, played in a few bands through high school. Sold my drums to buy a dirt bike. Picked the drums up again about 10 years later, (late 80's now married with children) played in a couple of bar bands, then my sons pretty much took over my kit. Two of my sons are decent drummers now. Bought myself a new kit 3 years ago (at age 58) then a year later bought a Ludwig Centennial Zeppelin kit. Still playing... no more gigging, just for my own enjoyment.

Sixteen. Mom and dad let me clean out the basement, have a big yard sale with my friends, and my share went to an old Apollo kit. Dropped the habit, started again at 55 with a Gretsch Renown ?

I just started 11 months ago, at the age of 57. I remember almost 50 yrs ago, in elementary school, they were looking for kids to join the band classes. They passed out a sheet for us to sign up for an instrument. I chose drums, but never heard anything back. I guessing they already had too many drummers. I wish I could go back in time and INSIST that they let me play. But if I could go back in time I'd probably be more concerned with buying a shitload of Apple stock! :cool:

Started in 3rd grade after I decided the trumpet (b flat Coronet) wasn't for me. Not sure what year that is but I was born in 1962.

Where were you in '62?

I just started 11 months ago, at the age of 57. I remember almost 50 yrs ago, in elementary school, they were looking for kids to join the band classes. They passed out a sheet for us to sign up for an instrument. I chose drums, but never heard anything back. I guessing they already had too many drummers. I wish I could go back in time and INSIST that they let me play. But if I could go back in time I'd probably be more concerned with buying a shitload of Apple stock! :cool:
That is absolutely AWESOME!!! Curious though, what grip do you use?

man, that whole idea of limiting players due to some imaginary balance issue is just awful pedagogy. I NEVER do that, especially at that beginning age. If my 5th grade band ends up being 20 flutes, 6 oboes, a trumpet and 9 drummers....bring it on!!! AS they get older, and more wise, THEN I start sifting out the balance issues...usually b/c the kids start liking other instruments, or find the ones that they chose are not "correct" for their embouchure etc...by high school, the balance thing has figured itself out, and the kids never feel left out.

Most of the schools around here still do that "1 drummer for every 20 wind players" thing, and I just don't get it. I mean I do...it is a fear of not wanting to deal with an instrument that you don't understand, but that is a whole other thread topic....

Most of the schools around here still do that "1 drummer for every 20 wind players" thing, and I just don't get it. I mean I do...it is a fear of not wanting to deal with an instrument that you don't understand, but that is a whole other thread topic....
My kid doesnt play music for this exact reason. Her friend played the flute, so she wanted to try it. We were told she could switch instruments within the first 4 (maybe 6) weeks if she didnt like it. Well she didnt. Her teacher refused to allow her to switch to anything, even after both my wife and I talked with the teacher. I even explained to the teacher that I can teach her percussion and get her caught up. The reply was something along the lines of "if everyone got to pick their own instrument I would have a band full of drummers and nothing else". So now my kid, even as an adult, refuses to try to learn any musical instrument because of her band experience. That one lady took away something that could have been a lifetime of enjoyment for my kid, and I cant give it back to her because the damage is done.

She secretly drums in the car, on the couch, at the table, but refuses to even try because of past experience.

My kid doesnt play music for this exact reason. Her friend played the flute, so she wanted to try it. We were told she could switch instruments within the first 4 (maybe 6) weeks if she didnt like it. Well she didnt. Her teacher refused to allow her to switch to anything, even after both my wife and I talked with the teacher. I even explained to the teacher that I can teach her percussion and get her caught up. The reply was something along the lines of "if everyone got to pick their own instrument I would have a band full of drummers and nothing else". So now my kid, even as an adult, refuses to try to learn any musical instrument because of her band experience. That one lady took away something that could have been a lifetime of enjoyment for my kid, and I cant give it back to her because the damage is done.

She secretly drums in the car, on the couch, at the table, but refuses to even try because of past experience.

that pisses me off SOOOOO MUCH!!!!! that was such a common thing 20-30-40 years ago...so much lost opportunoties...

and those band directors are the same ones who complain about "not having enough good drummers" when it gets to high school...well yeah...you drove them all away in MS....

that pisses me off SOOOOO MUCH!!!!
You and me both. I've showed her the basic 4/4 beat, told her she can play it to Billie Jean and More Than a Woman (she loves all music), and told her if she wants to play my drums she is more than welcome. She has no desire. I'm not going to push her either, that will just make it worse.

Started in 3rd grade after I decided the trumpet (b flat Coronet) wasn't for me. Not sure what year that is but I was born in 1962.

Where were you in '62?
Being created....I'm going to guess you were in the 3rd grade around 1970.

Back