Aspects of drumming (and music making)

FunkyLover999

Some weeks ago I posted the following words on a forum´s thread(http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40846). Now after reading it again I consider my participation to be a little off-topic there, but I still want to share my thoughts about drumming (and music making in general)with you guys.

After eleven years of learning with a teacher and playing gigs I think that there are three basic aspects of drumming. One is to listen to as much music as we can and so become aware of what´s being said with our instrument. Number two would be actually practicing a lot on your drums with professional guidance (I mean work as hard as you can man, always push yourself and be honest about what you already know and what´s lacking). Number three is: play on as many gigs as you can, as long as you think you´ll work proficiently enough.

Of course this three aspects are very much related to each other.
For example: you might want to play on a gig something you learned on practice and, after incorporating that to your actual drumming vocabulary, be able to recognize that lick or approach in recorded material. Listening to albums is a key factor to familiarize oneself with a certain style´s conceptions about drumming.
Being able to play much more chops on practice than in actual playing it´s a normal and expectable thing I assume.

I think that influence, renovation, self improvement and learning can be viewed under these parameters.
It has to do with the theory of communication of any language and art form: one is an agent capable of being influenced but also influence others after putting something of his own creation into the system.

I hope you´ll want to support, refute or expand my opinion about it.

Cheers!

Any thought along the lines of fostering and nurturing a joy of playing and the love of music?

It sounds like your "three basic aspects of drumming" are all geared towards improving specific drumming skills, which is generally a worthwhile pursuit -- to a point.

Improvement and learning is worthwhile, but let's not forget to appreciate the moments of our lives while we're living them, and enjoy the music while we're playing it.

Yes, funkylover, these are great points in cultivating and expanding your abilities on the drum set. And, like byron said, having a love for the drums is a key component. You sound to me like a fellow who could really progress and develop as a drummer. I've never heard you play, but your attitude, approach and zeal towards you're instrument are definitely attributes that could foster a professional career. I would just always try to stay fresh and have a fun loving approach to the drums. I think that, square one, just a love for playing the drums is the most vital thing a drummer can posses. Growth is a by-product.

-

That´s right guys... having a fun loving attitude towards playing is a NUMBER ONE aspect to have in mind when we approach the drums. Things usually seems to flow better and it´s a joy to participate in a larger set of people going in the same direction as you do.

I also find pretty satisfying to accomplish goals as I work through them.

Thanks a lot for the opinions.. I´d like to read some more.

:)

Back