Asking your opinion.

john gerrard

Just wondering how you all feel about changing drum heads from one drum to another drum. I have a pretty good collection of drum heads. I've tried this set of heads on this set of drums but didn't like them and tried something else. Then maybe I sold that drum set and bought something else so I would try those heads on the new set. You understand what I'm saying. Now I should say that I'm not talking about snare heads, just tom and bass heads. I don't believe that tom and bass heads are tensioned enough to really form or stretch a head to fit one particular drums bearing edge, and I'm thinking that if the head is not that used that it shouldn't hurt. That's just my opinion "and we all know what they say about opinions". Just wondering how you all feel. I just hate to try a new set of heads on a specific drum set and find out that I don't like them, then feel that I can't use them again sometime on a different drum set.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
By all means. If you find a combo you like, then you can get new ones. Until then experiment with what you have.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I put whole sets inside each other and save them in the 16inch tom head box. I have tried and kept many heads.

Defender

Silver Member
I think I asked this question a year ago and the answer I got is the same as you're getting. GO FOR IT!! I've actually swapped a couple snare heads from drum to drum. And they sounds great.

davidbehrens3.14

I've been doing this all the time lately, moving around with kits and such, and I would say do it. It's much more economical than buying new heads, anyway. I hear no difference in sound. Best of luck.

singing drums

I've been doing this all the time lately, moving around with kits and such, and I would say do it. It's much more economical than buying new heads, anyway. I hear no difference in sound. Best of luck.
...yes, indeed, and this point seems to be validated when you watch the jazzers creating beautiful drum tones from what looks to be decades-old drum heads...

FritzDrummer

Do it! I always save old drum heads so I can use them for testing when deciding on which brand new heads to go with!

M

Matt Bo Eder

While you're at it, take the bottom heads off the toms, and remove the front reso head. Muffle them down with gaf tape and then it won't matter what heads you have on there ;)

You should be the first guy on your block to do that ;)