Asking for some advice from a Medium-Beginner

cangaroo

Hi im asking for some advice here because i feel im stuck in my drum learning process.

Its been 5 years since i started playin drums (i was 35), but as of today i feel that i improved very little. I practice after work, around 1 hour, i cant last longer because usually im tired and im prone to lose focus very quickly.

In particular mode i noticed that my time perception and feel is very volatile and tend to change a lot from day to day. Yes, there has been small improvements over time but im struggling to be consistent. It is also very dependent on how much (mentally) tired i am.

I was wondering if studying by counting aloud with my voice could help me developing more my internal/physical timefeel, in order not to being forced on rely just on my "mental" timefeel. Do you usually count aloud while studying or is it just a method taught to beginners ?

Thank you

I'm saying this kinda tongue in cheek, but the way to get good time is to play in a band and have the others help you keep time (in a way). Plus, if you're that bad, then your band mates will start complaining about your time keeping until you get it right.

First I would suggest some sort of time keeping device. Metronome , smart phone app, etc. Spend part of your hour just playing simple beats at 100 beats/minute and don't increase until you have that tempo locked in. Then I wouls ask how rigid is your practice routine. Are you playing from a book or just playing around or to music? Get some structure to your hour. If you have the funds, find a teacher.

Hi im asking for some advice here because i feel im stuck in my drum learning process.

Its been 5 years since i started playin drums (i was 35), but as of today i feel that i improved very little. I practice after work, around 1 hour, i cant last longer because usually im tired and im prone to lose focus very quickly.

In particular mode i noticed that my time perception and feel is very volatile and tend to change a lot from day to day. Yes, there has been small improvements over time but im struggling to be consistent. It is also very dependent on how much (mentally) tired i am.

I was wondering if studying by counting aloud with my voice could help me developing more my internal/physical timefeel, in order not to being forced on rely just on my "mental" timefeel. Do you usually count aloud while studying or is it just a method taught to beginners ?

Thank you

You have not been at this very long. Yes counting out loud can help. So does using a metronome. Do you have a teacher? at this point a teacher who can go one on one with you would probably be the best thing. In addition to making sure your technique is good they will be able to help you tailor your practice routine to something that will work within your restraints. And of course the main secret to getting better is to keep practicing.

One of the coolest things about today's metronome apps are cheap and most allow you to define measures and pauses. One of the best excercises is to do just that. Play a beat to the metronome and see where you land after the count starts up again after 1, 2, 3 bars etc. once you get the beat down, then start with simple fills in those spots.

Playing in a band helps too, but band mates may fire you before they will give you input, unless they know you well and your just jamming for the sake of jamming.

Counting out loud, at least to me helps a TON.. i mainly only do it if i am really struggling to get my head around something and counting out loud just seems to reinforce it. The only other thing i can say is when practicing make sure you are practicing and not just playing songs.. i was learning fast then just started playing songs at night and almost stopped learning totally, stay focus'd on the aspect you are learning if thats even an issue for you right now.

Thank you

Not just for beginners, no -- but hopefully it's taught early on.

Counting aloud will help you to develop your "internal clock". Everyone should count out loud throughout the first few years, because it's a skill that is very useful later on. There is always a point where it's impossible to advance without counting, and at this point, it becomes a tool that we use in order to refine our timing or conquer difficult rhythms.

As an exercise, try counting 16ths as you play, as Steve Smith demonstrates in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycfxKqfsgBM

Lots of solid advice here.

From a psychological standpoint, you will hit a a plateau, after enjoying a series of small wins. It will be as if you're not getting better. I've experienced this with every instrument I've studied.

Those are times where motivation may seem in short supply. That's when your passion for the instrument is needed the most.

Good advice so far. Record yourself playing too. It will help. Good luck.

For sure get a met-ro-nome.
An hour a day is pretty good.
Consider not playing at all when mentally tired, it could be all diminishing returns.
If you like music, play along to music you like, and make some of it fun, more relaxing, not all work, to help develop some time feel.

Hi Cangaroo, as others of said 1.) Metronome, start at around 42bmp (singles, doubles and triplets) and if you can play it evenly in time for two-three minutes than move up a little repeat. 2.) Find a teacher that you can feel comfortable with. 3.) Record yourself playing with a metronome even with grooves.

Good Luck

Some good responses so far cangaroo. I'm going to show you how I divide up an hour of practice, not saying that my routine is the ideal but maybe it will be helpful to compare with someone else

20 minutes improv (totally unplanned, whatever comes to mind)
20 minutes focused practice (targeting a specific weakness or goal)
20 minutes playalong with music

Apart from that, the practice pad lives on my sofa. I don't think I'd ever use it if it was put away somewhere, it has right there in my way when I'm relaxing/waiting around/wasting time.

I can only relate what happened to me. I had 2 phases of my drumming life. Before I worked on the muscles themselves in my hands and feet and after.

Before, I had the ideas, the passion, but my foot and stick movements were weak and pathetic. No prominent backbeat snap. I didn't know how to hit efficiently, or even non sloppily. Long story short, I had 2 serendipitous teachers, one that taught feet first, (newspaper ad, just a few lessons) then my hand technique teacher 10 years later at age 25. In that case I saw a drummer who seemed like he played effortlessly and asked him where he learned to do that. He turned me on to his teacher, who was an hour away, and it was the best 6 months I ever spent. The thing by far that helped me the most were the strengthening exercises they both taught. I worked them hard, and it's really the only thing that separated the before me from the after me, more hand and foot ability. And it's not like it's over, if you don't keep at it, it degrades.

Give Bill Bachman a ring and throw some money at him and work it.

Give it a month of hard work, you'll see progress, and you'll be hooked and on your way.

Hi People, lots of interesting input here. Thank you.

My bad, i forgot to mention that im consistently use metronome at least for some 20/30 minutes of my hour, my practice schedule looks very like the one suggested by Headbanger, except for when im really tired, i play half an hour just for fun and call it a day.

Most of you pointed to a drum teacher, which is a thing ive never considered seriously, but probably now its the right time to think about it.

With an hour a day in a few years you could be pretty decent. I have made leaps of improvements in my playing this year. I notice improvements monthly and I am putting in 1-2 hours a day usually. Here are my tips.

Metronome, and when that because natural use a gap click. or set the metronome to the upbeats when you because more advanced..

I think playing to a click is easier than counting out loud. For some reason it throws me off but if you can do it you will notice if you speed up. I'd still use a click.

Do you keep time on your hi hat ever? that really helps me keep time better when playing on the ride. try 1/4 notes and 1/8 notes.

Here are a few more practice tips.

1.. Get a teacher if you need some motivation or are struggling to find things to work on, or ideas. Or even for technique. If you don't have time or can't find one There are sites like Mikeslessons or Drumeo that can help. I personally use Mikeslessons and a there is a ton of content laid out very nice.

2. Have a goal and set your practice towards it and LOG everything... If its hand speed work on singles, doubles, and rudiments to a click. Try and get a few BPM better every month. It is easy to tell you are getting better when there are numbers in front of you showing it.

3. Playing drums and practicing treat differently. I love to go down and rip like everyone but my practice time I use to get better. Choose something to get better at and work at it. It could be time... use a metronome, use a gap click, set the metronome on the up beats etc. Play at different speeds. If its hand speed do that. if it's independence work on that. set aside 4 15 minute chunks... It's so easy to get sidetracked and hit a rut. I will usualy do 15 minutes of hand speed work, then 15 minutes of pure independence work with all 4 limbs. maybe do some modulation stuff because I wan't to get better at that, then use the last 15 minutes to solo or play to music.

Playing drums is with my band or when I just want to have fun.. Practice is difficult and makes me feel like crap half of the time because if it's easy I have moved on to something hard.

Back