Article - Tommy Lee returns to DW Drums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tommy Lee is returning to DW? I hope that he brings Pam Anderson with him.

I don’t understand why I’m being hazed for observing that hair bands, especially their drummers, can’t really be taken completely seriously. I mean, if they’re so great, why aren’t there NEW hair bands? Why isn’t pop metal still getting made? People are still making straight-ahead rock. They’re still making country and country rock. They’re still rapping. Nobody is making pop metal, and there are no new hair bands.

Where's the doo-wop bands, skiffle bands, big bands and polka kings? They were all great at one time.

There's still metal bands out there playing in 2020 though they are not at the fore front anymore. Time marches inevitably forward and with it comes change.

Same with drummers finding new endorsements, except for Ringo.......

I don’t understand why I’m being hazed for observing that hair bands, especially their drummers, can’t really be taken completely seriously. I mean, if they’re so great, why aren’t there NEW hair bands? Why isn’t pop metal still getting made? People are still making straight-ahead rock. They’re still making country and country rock. They’re still rapping. Nobody is making pop metal, and there are no new hair bands.

Are we really even talking about hair bands? The 80s was the decade of guitar, not drums. Nobody gave a crap about drums in the 80s. Nobody practices drum parts from the 80s.

Unfortunately what you're doing there is confusing what's mainstream and in the charts/what you're spoon fed with what's actually out there - if you look for it.

Of course Glam Metal isn't 'in' and fashionable right now (probably a good thing music has moved on!)

Also, I'm sure that plenty of people practice drums from the 1980's. *cough* Rush, Genesis, The Police, Toto, Van Halen, Dream Theatre, Slayer, Metallica ...etc

Of course, I'm sure there's a tiny percentage of drummers with the old simmons SDSV's playing along to a Flock of Seagulls (for example) but there were some bands and a wealth of drumming from that decade that a large amount of drummers are still referencing and practicing, to this day.

Yep. and your mom. I bet she was pretty cute back in 83'. :D

Hey answer the question like a jerkoff dont be surprised if someone treats you like one. :unsure:

Absolutely no need for that.

Wind your neck in.

Unfortunately what you're doing there is confusing what's mainstream and in the charts/what you're spoon fed with what's actually out there - if you look for it.

Of course Glam Metal isn't 'in' and fashionable right now (probably a good thing music has moved on!)

Also, I'm sure that plenty of people practice drums from the 1980's. *cough* Rush, Genesis, The Police, Toto, Van Halen, Dream Theatre, Slayer, Metallica ...etc

Of course, I'm sure there's a tiny percentage of drummers with the old simmons SDSV's playing along to a Flock of Seagulls (for example) but there were some bands and a wealth of drumming from that decade that a large amount of drummers are still referencing and practicing, to this day.

So how many people are drumming along to hair metal songs? LOL

I will say that it’s instructive to note how many of you think that money is the goal of life.

The's plenty of music that's not in the charts that have huge a loyal fanbase.

Norway's main musical export is a type of metal that's certainly isn't in the top 40 charts, but the bands doing that stuff do very well. Though it's not my thing I know some guys in those genres and it's a pretty solid business with their own festivals and clubs that specialize in that stuff.

So how many people are drumming along to hair metal songs? LOL

I will say that it’s instructive to note how many of you think that money is the goal of life.

I've got no idea of the exact number, what type of question is that! ? I'm not Rainman!

I will say if you type in Motley Crue, Guns & Roses or Def Leppard (choosing three hair metal Bands at random) drum covers into YouTube there are a lot more than zero.

The's plenty of music that's not in the charts that have huge a loyal fanbase.

Norway's main musical export is a type of metal that's certainly isn't in the top 40 charts, but the bands doing that stuff do very well. Though it's not my thing I know some guys in those genres and it's a pretty solid business with their own festivals and clubs that specialize in that stuff.

So if 80s-style pop metal is such a timeless sound, why has it fallen by the wayside? I mean, there are plenty of 80s tunes that still get radio play today. No Crue or Poison or any of the other lipstick bands, as far as I’m aware, though.

I’m just amazed by how much love there is for Tommy Lee here.

I've got no idea of the exact number, what type of question is that! ? I'm not Rainman!

I will say if you type in Motley Crue, Guns & Roses or Def Leppard (choosing three hair metal Bands at random) drum covers into YouTube there are a lot more than zero.

Def Leppard is 5 times as good as those other two. Please. LOL

But going back, what about Peter-Gabriel era Genesis, the New York dolls, or any number of punk bands, all of whom subscribed to a certain visual aesthetic which might equally seem ridiculous?
I hear ya. I’m one of those “form follows function” guys. Makeup and hair spray don’t make the music any better. It just helps sell it.

When I got to college, I’d been playing in a successful band for three years, wearing jeans & t-shirts, making good side money. The first band was asked to join played Queen, and they dressed like queens, with high block heels, huge bell bottom pants and shiny shirts. I didn’t have any of that clothing. The next band that asked me to join played Bowie and dressed like him. I was so out-of-place. My sophomore year I was asked to join a jazz quartet and the only extra piece of required clothing was a suit jacket (no tie). What a relief!

Deciding what music to listen based on what the band is short-sighted. MTV was huge in the 80s and there was a lot of pressure for a "metal" band to look/act a certain way to get airtime.
MTV was one giant gatekeeper that prevented many bands from making it. They held the keys to the kingdom for twenty years. Thank God for YouTube (In that regard). They also started the “quick cut” video, so that you could never watch one person for more than one second.

Def Leppard is 5 times as good as those other two. Please. LOL

Glam Rock/Hair Metal really isn't my thing personally but it was a huge musical movement whatever your thoughts are of each band in question, the 'movement' influenced a lot of people at one time, so fair's fair I guess.

The Grunge movement that followed was almost a rebellion against it, so Glam Rock it has place in music history. Just as Punk was a rebellion against Classic Rock....etc

Music is a constantly evolving thing though. I bet there's a Blues forum thread somewhere on the internet dismissing Jazz Music or a Classic Rock forum thread dismissing the music of Little Richard or Elvis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back